Tripods, ammo cans, gunners kit, etc.
badsnakeii
Gefreiter
Gefreiter
Anti-spam: Mg42

gfv-64 East German belt loader.

Post by badsnakeii »

http://www.smallarmsreview.com/display. ... icles=1984

After doing quite a bit of research I believe this is the best loader me guys with several belt fed guns. The issue is with finding them. Are there any for sale anywhere that anyone knows of? I've looked high and low. Short of knowing someone in the old east Germany that can liberate one from an armory.

If anyone has one or where to get one please let me know.

Ps. What happened to the so called cheap German 7.62 loaders.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: gfv-64 East German belt loader.

Post by 42rocker »

Very interesting loader. Thanks for sharing that info.

Later 42rocker
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

badsnakeii,
If a person had a complete GFV-64 system with all of the adaptor-plates and adaptor to load AK47-magazines (minus the large aluminum "hopper")..............what do you think one of those would be worth to you (?).

That answer may get you more information than just looking for one (??)..............and as this would replace several belt-loading-machines as it loads not only 8x57mm belts.....but 7.62x54R belts, and both styles of 7.62x39mm RPD Belts, I do not believe that they will sell for the same price as the standard 8x57mm belt loader for the MG34/MG42.

Those loader-systems are very hard to locate here in the USA and in Germany.
You might want to post a WTB ad over in the German published magazine "DWJ".

Regards, RichardS
US Army, Retired.
amafrank
Major
Major

Post by amafrank »

There were a pretty good number of them here in the states. Ohio Ord imported a bunch of them and I think Tennessee gun did too. From what I understand there aren't any more in east germany since they scrapped all that stuff or sold it to us silly yanks.
I sold my last one a few years back and it wasn't cheap. I had both drums and the loader, 3 boxes. It came with a set of instructions in German and I used it primarily to load RPD belts since they are such a pain to do. It could also be used to load tracer or other special ammo in various combinations. As for loading AK mags it wasn't worth the trouble. They're easy enough to load by hand or with strippers. I found that it was easier to load MG42 belts with one of the smaller loaders and PKM belts were much easier to load with a standard PKM loader. The machine was truly a piece of work and a tribute to German ingenuity.
I've not seen one for sale in a long time and the last one I saw went for $2500 with only the loader and one drum.

Frank
badsnakeii
Gefreiter
Gefreiter

Post by badsnakeii »

Wow. Holy crap. I was figuring they would be worth a good coin but hadn't quite imagined that.

I'm more blown away that one can't find any 7.62 loaders except for maybe on GB where they get crazy money too when they used to apparently be given away with purchase of bulk ammo or sold for less than it cost to ship them.

So to do not 8mm and 7.62N I'd need 2 separate expensive loaders and to do rpd belts I'd need to modify something to make it work as well....

I read that most of the gfv-64 loaders were in fact modified original Nazi machines. Quite interesting indeed.
amafrank
Major
Major

Post by amafrank »

badsnakeii wrote:Wow. Holy crap. I was figuring they would be worth a good coin but hadn't quite imagined that.

I'm more blown away that one can't find any 7.62 loaders except for maybe on GB where they get crazy money too when they used to apparently be given away with purchase of bulk ammo or sold for less than it cost to ship them.

So to do not 8mm and 7.62N I'd need 2 separate expensive loaders and to do rpd belts I'd need to modify something to make it work as well....

I read that most of the gfv-64 loaders were in fact modified original Nazi machines. Quite interesting indeed.
The Gfv64 isn't really a modified WWII loader as such but the main body of the loader is basically the same as the WWII style so I guess you could call it a modded WWII loader. I've never seen any but postwar markings on any of the Gfv loaders I saw. I've seen quite a few. I'd been through Ohio Ords shop quite a bit around the time these came through and I believe they were the biggest importer of the units.

If you check with RTG parts in Peoria Arizona you might find that they have belt loaders for the MG3.....the 7.62 loaders. I've modified quite a few of them to load both 8mm and 308 by extending the rear plate of the hopper backwards for loading 8mm and making a drop in spacer to allow the same hopper to be used for 308. WIthout the spacer 308 will tip and jumble up as it has more taper than the 8mm. RTG can be found with a simple google search.

Good luck

Frank