MGz34 or MGZ40

Tripods, ammo cans, gunners kit, etc.
wooferocau

MGz34 or MGZ40

Post by wooferocau »

Were both sights used with the MG42 ? or is the MGZ40 more correct in relation to the MG42 and Lafette?

I am looking for either of these optics ....which one is more common ?

Thanks..
Tommygunn
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Re: MGz34 or MGZ40

Post by Tommygunn »

There are plenty of wartime photos about that show the Mgz34 being used in conjunction with the MG42, however, I've not seen an Mgz40 being used with an MG34. Whether there is any significant ballistic difference between the MG34 and MG42 or whether this was built into each optic type and therefore would make either weapon innacurate if mismatched to an optic, I don't know. My guess is, is that it probably doesn't matter, you do your ranging shots and work off of that with dials and measurments you have at hand.
I've heard it said, I think on here, that generally there seem to be more 34's than 40's and that the 34's usually have there tins with them whereas the 40's quite often do not. Also, it depends what is going on because when I bought my Mgz34 back in the early 2000 I think there had just been a big release of them from Norway. I don't know of any 40's being released in big numbers then so of course this changes the perception of how many there are of each. Who knows, maybe there is a depot somewhere waiting to get rid of their 40's.

Tom.
amafrank
Major
Major

Re: MGz34 or MGZ40

Post by amafrank »

The MGz40 came out prior to the MG42 being on the scene and was used with the MG34 first and throughout the war. Part of the issue was the location of the viewing eyepiece on the top of the sight. In the MGZ40 this eyepiece was relocated to a lower position. There was a periscope made for the earlier sight to lower it but that meant another piece of kit to keep track of and carry. In any case both types of sights were used with both types of MG so pick one and you're not going to be incorrectly portraying the gun and mount.

Frank