IMA-USA lafette.

Tripods, ammo cans, gunners kit, etc.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: IMA-USA lafette.

Post by 42rocker »

As far as lafette's go I recall seeing three at Knob Creek. A mg34 and a mg34 mountain lafette and I believe one more mg34. Don't recall seeing any other mg42 lafette now that I'm thinking about it.

Later 42rocker
pathfinder
Unteroffizier
Unteroffizier

Post by pathfinder »

Hey Pit,
It looks like the D-rings on your mount might have been opened for removal at one time and not fully closed.
Nice mount!
Tommygunn
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Tommygunn »

I mentioned earlier that I think that this is characteristic of Yugo manufacture, or alteration, as the gauge of the wire seems to be smaller than the German d-rings as well.

Tom.
drywar

Post by drywar »

I ended up finding a post war yugo lafette 42/53 in country (Canada) as most places were too expensive or did not want to ship to Canada. I paid more than I had to, just saw two up on ebay w/out the aa extension go for $500 US.

I restored mine top to bottom, all apart, sand blasted, reupholstered leather pads, repo straps from ATF.
A lot of yugo marks, numbers, some crossed out and other markings in a oval that resemble post war East German weapons markings. The only waffen mark was on the optic mount. It came with the yugo serial plate removed and a repo german range plate on the search fire.

I used the German WWII Feldgrau Dunkel (Dark Fieldgray) Spray Paint from 1944 Militaria.com
Not the greatest quality(chips easy) and looks more green then gray...almost like a darker post war Austrian green.

Anyone know of a better place to get a proper Dunkelgrau paint color for a early 1943 lafette42, not a 34 tripod?
Spray bomb or gun.
IMG_5281.JPG
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

drywar
1st Welcome to the site.
2nd Your mg42 lafette looks nice. And I have been told that if the scope mount is on the side that normally it's German not yugo. More work needs to be done on that statement at a later time.

Later 42rocker
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

drywar
On the paint this is from a mg34 lafette restore, pics are gone but info is still there.

"""Post by tomcatshaas » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:48 pm

I used an oil base red oxide primer which matched my original primer exactly. Got it from fleetfarm. I found that the spray can works the best. The dunkelgrau I got from Sherwin Williams. Its 7021 dark grey and is in their system. Used exterior all surface satin oil based. It's a dead on match to the untouched dark grey paint inside my bolt box. Ryan recommended to use an airbrush, so I got one and was all set to use it but ol gorrilla hands (that be me) broke the small little fittings. So I had you use my old reliable touchup spraygun I used back when I was restoring Warbirds for a living. Old squirty or squirt as I have named it has done the job again. I haven't used it in 10 years! I mixed 12 oz. of paint, 2 caps full of japan dryer, and the rest thinner to a total of 16 oz. It worked great, and tacked up nicely between light to med. coats. That lower frame is the worst as it has alot of surface area and nooks and crannies."""

info is from the following

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5473

Later 42rocker
Tommygunn
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Tommygunn »

Drywar,
If you like I'll send you a painted up sample of the Dunkelgrau I had made up and then modified myself to achieve a perfect match for the Dunkelgrau that was under the bolt box on my lafette. I can paint it onto some plasticard and send it off to you if you like and you can get it matched up where you are.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=12162

Tom.
drywar

Post by drywar »

42rocker,

Thanks for the welcome and paint info. Here are some more up close pics of my lafette for people interested:
IMG_5296.JPG
IMG_5270.JPG
IMG_5261.JPG
IMG_5301.JPG
IMG_5271.JPG
IMG_5286.JPG
IMG_5260.JPG
drywar

Post by drywar »

Tommygunn,

Thanks for the offer on the paint you mixed, I might take you up on your offer of a sample if I pick up this 1943 dated lafette42, post war Austrian painted. Buyer wants $2500 obo. What do think it's worth? Here are some pics:
IMG_0398.JPG
IMG_0403.JPG
IMG_0405.JPG
IMG_0401.JPG
IMG_0404.JPG
a05.14.12 021.JPG
Tommygunn
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Tommygunn »

Blimey, that so called Grau really is green isn't it!

No problem on the paint, just give me a shout as and when.

As far as the value is concerned I'm afraid I couldn't tell you as I bought my 'Austrian' lafette about 12 years ago and it cost me about £550 or £600 (UK Sterling).

Is the $2500 US or Canadian?

A couple of good and bad things going on. First the range plate is rough, however, the T&E is the same year as the cradle end cap.
Ask the seller the following:
1) What the serial number is on the traverse scale.
2) What the maker code is on the tripod frame i.e. front left, by the AA spigot and left lug.
3) Maker code of the front leg? Situated lower middle of the 'U' bracket/hinge that the frame hinge bolt goes through.
4) Are there any maker codes on the tops of the inner cradle bearing bolts?
5) Maker code on the front lug of the front leg adjuster?
6) Maker codes, if any, on the traverse limiters?

Obviously, the more of these that match the better.

Tom.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

As Tom said a few more WaAmp's if you please. Personally I think the obo is the better way to go. Also a long look at the stampings if you please. To nice?
Any rate I'm seen more that a few of these at lower numbers. That said if the market is that high now it's time for me to think about selling a few things.

Later 42rocker
drywar

Post by drywar »

$2500 Canadian obo and yeah that range plate looks like someone wiped it clean with paint thinner or other chemical.
From the pictures it does not look like the cradle bolts are marked unless the Austrian paint is covering them.
Are those black leather pads German or post war Austrian?
I have read that the later war items were not stamped as much as early/post war.

Here are a few more pics of it and it's turned up on ebay now with a few additional pictures.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1943-fsu-Lafett ... 1c32c9df4b
IMG_0414.JPG
IMG_0402.JPG
pitfighter
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by pitfighter »

These last few pics of the great restorations you guys are doing sure is inspiration to get mine a new coat of paint.
I like the way those repro carry straps look, too.

I just need to spend more time in my home state and it will happen.

Nice work Drywar - I would personally not spend $2500 on another mount, it would seem there was a lot of other desirable things out there that may soon be legislated differently in the near future - mounts should always be available, just my thoughts - may be different north of the border.

Pit.
drywar

Post by drywar »

Pit, if I were to buy another lafette I'd make it a 34 as I already have a Yugo 42.
The caryy straps as someone else already mentioned can't be had from atthefront, add some oil or snow seal to darken the leather up a bit.

I managed to find a Yugo anti aircraft extension , did the Germans paint them the same color as the tripods?
pitfighter
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by pitfighter »

I am with you - I would like something for the MG34, too.
However, I have just taken delivery of an M1910 Maxim with accessories, and my office/storage is starting to get quite full.

I just looked at your Lafette restoration again and I am seriously envious, very nice work. Mine still has the cosmo it came with from IMA on it.

PS.
I love working in BC by the way, no guns, but I always manage to find some good stuff up there. A collection of Austro Hungarian Swords (10) on the last trip.
Because of the way the tax incentive works (on smaller films) we only get to film in beautiful Maple Ridge, etc., lol - but, hunt antiquities in my spare time.
*The guns in this one came from Tom Falcon's armoury.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btnF8-Fb610

Pit.
pitfighter
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by pitfighter »

I should spend more time reading the Mosin stuff, they are not my wheelhouse, but this cosmo removing technique is a great one.

I left the Lafette out in the Valley sun for a few hours - until metal was too hot to touch.
The cosmo literally wipes off with a hand-towel, why I didn't try this before I have no idea - I am a shmo!!!!!

5 minutes later...
(Yes I know I have missed some, but excited to take pictures, lol)

This is sheer brilliance, I have been avoiding this sticky mess for months (since it arrived)!
It is an awkward shape and way too heavy with too many parts to be a fun project, lol - and I just didn't want to use gasolene, or citrus cutter
*I know there are some guys here who stripped and restored theirs but I have almost zero spare time anymore, lol.

Just turned it over to heat up the otherside.

My hands are a little greasy - but this is awesome - I am a nerd, sorry.

Cheers,
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Down here we use the Fla sun. Good almost all year around.

Later 42rocker
Tommygunn
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Tommygunn »

Pit,
It looks like you have an allignment issue with the the cradle/T&E takedown catch. Can you fix it?

Tom.
pitfighter
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by pitfighter »

Hi Tom,

Yes, it is out of line by about 3/4" - I hadn't really looked at it, as it was dirty as hell and a project waiting to be cleaned.
I cannot find anyway to straighten it up at all - at the moment.
I would need to twist the top of the buffer housing back to it's original position, 3/4" - notch this one up to IMA, lol - If the top of the buffer housing removes, it can be straightened, and it must move as it has been knocked into it's current position at some time.
Thankfully this is a movie prop and not needed to defend/attack the Eastern front anytime soon.

Thanks for spotting that.

Pit.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Pit
I had one that did not line up also. Opened it up with the search fire knob. Wide as I could then looked in the front area at the hinge point and found a small rock that was jamming one side and causing things to not line up when closed. After removing said rock things were better. I then worked on it with a twisting action a couple of times and finally got it where it needed to be.

Good Luck

Later 42rocker