MG42 Conversion Kits

Tripods, ammo cans, gunners kit, etc.
Scuderia

MG42 Conversion Kits

Post by Scuderia »

What is the difference in the MG1 & MG3 308 conversion kits?
waffendude
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Re: MG42 Conversion Kits

Post by waffendude »

if my memory is correct---the mg1 utlizes modified mg42 parts and the mg3 uses a new top cover/ frt breaing/feed tray --- specifly to the 7.62x 51 cartridge
waffen
Scuderia

Post by Scuderia »

Would the MG3 be the most desirable kit to use?
waffendude
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by waffendude »

the mg3 conversion kit at rtg parts --is the the way to go--imho
waffen
mp44dude
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by mp44dude »

Depends on your gun. An MG3 kit may require some modification (i.e. cutting) of your reciever. If your gun is a CnR MG42 than this would be a horrible option. MG3 Bolts are completely diffent matter - get as many as you can.
crash520
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by crash520 »

Ok, help me out here, why is an MG3 bolt better to have in that conversion over say an MG53 bolt, is the bolt head the same? is it only the back piece that is different? (as in heavier) or other, I have MG3 cover and feed tray etc but only MG53 bolt assemblies

VR
C
mp44dude
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by mp44dude »

Stabs,

The MG3 bolts are better designed for anti bounce, smoother cycle, and better materials. IMHO.
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

an MG3 bolt is better because it isn't 50 - 70 years old. Old steel become brittle, newer bolts have better quality steel.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
Scuderia

Post by Scuderia »

mp44dude wrote:Depends on your gun. An MG3 kit may require some modification (i.e. cutting) of your reciever. If your gun is a CnR MG42 than this would be a horrible option. MG3 Bolts are completely diffent matter - get as many as you can.
My MG42 is a original German MG42 transferable gun. Are you saying that it would have to be modified to use the MG3 conversion kit?
noonxnoon

Post by noonxnoon »

You can get the MG1 feed tray & top cover and it will mount the MG1 steel drums.

The 'modern' MG3 tray & cover can mount the MG3 drums and the square bucket drum as well.
amafrank
Major
Major

Post by amafrank »

The front of the MG3 feed tray has a protrusion that may or may not clear the cutout in your WWII MG42 receiver. I believe it is there to help guide the round into the barrel. It it won't fit in your gun you can either open up the receiver slightly or relieve the feedtray. It doesn't normally take a lot. The location of the mod isn't visible when the gun is assembled and won't really detract from the gun. I've modified a couple for customers and found a few that didn't need mods. The advantage of the MG3 feed tray is that it allows newer assault drums or boxes to be used and also that it is setup to use M13 links or DM1 belts in 7.62 X 51 Nato.
The same can be said of the rest of the MG3 parts. They are newer and more well thought out developments of the earlier parts. The MG3 topcover has a spring loaded feedrail so that the rail is in the same place each time you close the topcover. It also has a device which keeps the topcover from dropping on your hands.
The MG3 bolts have spring loaded rollers on them so that you can close the topcover with the bolt either forward or back and not damage the feed rail. The bolt body is a bit more solid and rides the bolt rails with a little less slop. Weight of the bolt body is slightly higher than a WWII bolt but has little effect on operation despite claims that it will slow your gun down. Only the 950 gram heavy bolt built by Pietro Beretta will change your fire rate much and only with the proper buffer.
The MG3 barrel bearing and flash hider are 2 piece instead of the 3 piece of the MG42. It is a simpler part to use, clean and will give you a visual indication that you have your 7.62 kit installed if you use it only with your 7.62 kit. The booster has the proper diameter port for the smaller round and may cause some issues if you use it with 8mm in any case.

Frank
Gulfstream4
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by Gulfstream4 »

Nice explanation. Thanks Frank