Replacement booster cones

Tripods, ammo cans, gunners kit, etc.
bbrown
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Re: Replacement booster cones

Post by bbrown »

I'll take four (4) 10mm MG42 booster cones.

Bryan
Smoke01

Post by Smoke01 »

I would be in for at least 2 MG42 10MM cones

Thanks

Smoke
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by 42rocker »

Ok, that sounds like 21. Bump back up for this one. Good Luck with selling a few more.

Later 42rocker
noonxnoon

Post by noonxnoon »

Wait...don't count me out...

I need to get the sizes though...please don't say I gotta ream 'em myself!!

I'd basically want to get the 4 main 42 nozzel sizes...anyone have that knowledge immediatly on hand??
CRUSADER
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by CRUSADER »

The board member who might be manufacturing the boosters - TactAdv - plans to offer one size that can be drilled out to the desired size. His plans are for a 10mm orifice.

So charge up the batteries on your Makita and make sure you've got some good drill bits ;)
noonxnoon

Post by noonxnoon »

I didn't wanna ream 'em myself! :lol:

Ok...for the flip side...were there any 42 cones with holes less then 10mm?
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

Gentlemen,

The original booster cones appear to be hardened. Although this is not necessary for function, it does allow you to use a hardened scraper to remove the carbon deposits for routine cleaning without marking the booster cone. The rear end of the booster cone will experience wear due to impact, such that a hardened cone is very desirable if you want it to last a lifetime. Case hardening is certainly an option.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
TactAdv
Major
Major

Post by TactAdv »

DARIVS ARCHITECTVS wrote:Gentlemen,

The original booster cones appear to be hardened. Although this is not necessary for function, it does allow you to use a hardened scraper to remove the carbon deposits for routine cleaning without marking the booster cone. The rear end of the booster cone will experience wear due to impact, such that a hardened cone is very desirable if you want it to last a lifetime. Case hardening is certainly an option.
Hi Kurt! Awhile back, we did both a Rockwell-DC test and a Brinell test of two existing booster cones, one a wartime MG42, and then a well used M53 one. They both came in the very common 26-32Rc range on the Rockwell test, and with a bit of difference on the Brinell, both about ~290 BHN, which tracks as expected for common steel alloy material that has been work hardened.

From a metallurgical standpoint, I'd put them all as common high-carbon steel alloy, showing the expected work hardening from manufacture, only. Likely a common-range mixed austentitic-pearlitic machining steel. I saw no evidence- grain features, crystallography, etc., that would indicate any attempt at further annealing or later normalizing after even a simple carburization salt bath case-hardening. And I see no possible reason to even consider this part for actual through hardening ever, as its service usage would undergo severe problems for a through hardened part that is constantly exposed to high-frequency virbrations and thermal cyclic strain. A through-hardended part would simply crack, and quickly. What is desired is a part with, nominally, a -reasonably- tough exterior feature over a resilient core.....something a common work-hardened surface treatment would provide.

Having no access to the actual production specifications I can't say for 100% certain, but a reasonable forensic analysis of the existing parts does produce those observations from a materials standpoint.

I plan on using a high quality common high-carbon steel, normal work hardening- will probably use 4140PH (normally about 58kpsi yield strength). This will produce finished parts with a surface feature of Rc 26-32 range nominal. Going harder, doing a true case-hardening to something like Rc 48-53 would be possible, using even a 4140QT if we don't want to do the full outside-vendor heat treat, but I can almost guarantee that it WILL CRACK.

Rc 26-32 will withstand just about any common "carbon scraper" usage if you don't go Neanderthal with the tool. ;-)

And as I first said, I am just peachy using 316L stainless as I have before. It is not as hard as the above 4140PH, coming in near Rc20-22, but it is superior in the caustic environment if you don't clean your guns. I have used it before with little problems, and would be happy to make a few, at the actual cost differential, if anyone wants. I'd only recommend these for people with some understanding of the material though.

-TomH
Vieles ist bekannt, dass ist nicht offenbart.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

I concur, Tom. Really nice to have a fellow engineer/metallurgist in our group! You are correct in that going to RC 48-54 will cause cracking. Such steel is best used in small knives. I think going with a 316L stainless is unnecessary, particularly if you drive the hardness down to RC 22. the small "feet" on the rear edge of the booster cone on my MG-42 exhibited some peening damage, with a slight burring over the life of the gun. Also, corrosion is not a major problem for this part. What is a problem is sticking of the part due to excess carbon deposits if the gun is not properly cleaned, hence the soldiers were issues carbon scrapers of high carbon steel to scrape the deposits off. I can tell your from experience that those deposits of solidified molten carbon are tough to remove in the extreme, and even soaking in kerosene (per military practice) was only partially effective in softening them. I used a fine deburring wheel (LIGHTLY!) to remove the remnants on external surfaces and a steel scraper on the inside.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
Gulfstream4
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by Gulfstream4 »

I did not want this to just fade away. Is this going to happen? Any progress? :cheer:
TactAdv
Major
Major

Post by TactAdv »

Gulfstream4 wrote:I did not want this to just fade away. Is this going to happen? Any progress? :cheer:
Patience, grasshopper. ;-)

I indicated that I wanted this to let run a couple weeks to see who all was interested........it's only been a few days.

I am busier than a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs right now anyway......best guess is sometime in the next 4-5 weeks???

There is enough interest so far for sure to do both MG-42 & MG-15 cones......

-TomH
mksshoot
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by mksshoot »

I would take 4 MG42 cones as well. Give a holler when your up and going.
jcmg42
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by jcmg42 »

Could you clarify the sizing of boosters?

http://www.robertrtg.com/mg42boosterset.html
man_am_boden
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by man_am_boden »

Did this happen? Or is it still possible to happen?
Semper Fi
Tyler
TactAdv
Major
Major

Post by TactAdv »

No, this has not happened....yet. Due to recent workloads picking up dramtically, it had to take a back seat to other work.

I still am planning on doing it, I feel there is enough interest here to warrant a short run of each type, it's just going to be hard to get it fit into the planning for awhile. ;-(

-TomH
CRUSADER
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by CRUSADER »

I'm still in, fwiw.
crash520
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by crash520 »

Gents,
For thoses who only ever wnat to buy one, once you have sorted your hole size, what about hard chrome plating?? i'm no metal guy or chromer but just a thought?

BR
C
1fozziebear
Stabsgefreiter
Stabsgefreiter

Post by 1fozziebear »

Late to the party, but I'd take two
Der Alder
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Der Alder »

Any word on these yet?
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

TomH,
I too would be interested in 3-5 (or more) of the MG42 Booster-Cup at 10mm (depending on pricing).

I believe that you are corect on the type of steel used.......work-hardening plays into this along with repeated high temps. during firing and cool-down over the years.

Let us know when this happens and pricing when available.

Last question, what are the advantages of Stainless-Steel over the com,mon high-carbon steel that you also chose to make this short run in (?).
With this information, we could possibly give you a better idea of how many of each type steel requested for this "run" before you start cutting steel......(?).

Regards, RichardS in MI.
US Army, Retired.
Blanksguy2001@chartermi.net