Wiselite SA M53 fit MG3 Tripod?

Tripods, ammo cans, gunners kit, etc.
HKARAK
Feldwebel
Feldwebel
Anti-spam: Mg42

Wiselite SA M53 fit MG3 Tripod?

Post by HKARAK »

Would like to purchase MG3 tripod for my Wiselite M53, but wanted to be absolutely sure it would fit (without any modification to gun.......like remove buttstock, etc.). Thanks!
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Wiselite SA M53 fit MG3 Tripod?

Post by 42rocker »

As I understand it you are sol... The wiselite receiver was made 1" longer than the original receiver and will not work unless you remove the buttstock. However removing the buttstock when using a mg42 in a lafette tripod was done quite often. There are a lot of photos out there showing this.
Hopefully a few wiselite owners will chime in on what they have done to make this work.

Later 42rocker
noonxnoon

Post by noonxnoon »

I plan on getting a mount as well some day...

As 42 said, other 53'ers have to remove the butt stock...but I think you can get by with twisting the stock sideways so it clears it.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Twisted 1/4 turn works also.

Later 42rocker
HKARAK
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Post by HKARAK »

Thanks for the input!! Mine should be delivered in a few days.
Texasgunzz
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by Texasgunzz »

I recently purchased a wiselight arms M53 with an mg3 tripod included. It fits perfectly on the tripod! I have no clue what the ,"SA" is though.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

SA--- Semi Auto

Welcome to the website

Later 42rocker
drooling idiot
General
General

Post by drooling idiot »

original poster was refering to the mg3 ground or Lafette tripod.
http://www.robertrtg.com/mg3tripod.html

Not the MG3 anti aircraft tripod.
http://www.robertrtg.com/mgaatripod.html

The wiselite will fit the AA Tripod with no issues but is too long to fit the Lafette tripod with the buttstock attached.

Welcome to the website
"good , bad, .....I'm the man with the gun."

Its amazing anything works right around here with a bunch of
over-age juvenile delinquents running the place.
noonxnoon

Post by noonxnoon »

I got the AA tripod...that is a great stand & shoot base
Texasgunzz
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by Texasgunzz »

Ohhh so thats what SA means (: Mine fits the lafeete tripod perfectly. Never ran into a not fitting issue. Havnt purchased an anti aircraft yet.
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

ON the question of an M53 (Wise-Lite-Arms semi-only SA42) fitting a "Tripod".......
....because we have some readers confused as to what/which Tripod is which.....let's break it down like this:

1: WWII German MG42 Lafette tripods and Yugo replicas:
Will an M53 SA42 fit or not (?).......and if it won't, please post a photo(s) of the offending area/parts that will not allow it to fit.

2: MG3 Tripod. This way-different tripod looks different that a WWII Tripod and is much cheaper $$$.
Will an M53 SA42 fit or not (?).......and if not, please post a photo(s) of the offending area/parts that will not allow it to fit.

3: WWII German AA Tripods and Post-War MG3 AA Tripods are basically the same......slight changes to the weapon mounting head, but both will with all MG42s/MG3s and semi-only SA42s.

The talk about removing the butt-stock is confusing some readers.......so if an M53 SA42 won't fit....please post some photo(s) and explain why.....and what to do if you know.

Last.....where did Wise-Lite-Arms extend their M53 SA42 receiver (?).....what section (?).....and please post a photo of where indicated.

Thanks in advance.
RichardS in MI.
US Army, Retired
Blanksguy2001@chartermi.net
dover7838
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by dover7838 »

Blanksguy wrote:ON the question of an M53 (Wise-Lite-Arms semi-only SA42) fitting a "Tripod".......
....because we have some readers confused as to what/which Tripod is which.....let's break it down like this:

2: MG3 Tripod. This way-different tripod looks different that a WWII Tripod and is much cheaper $$$.
Will an M53 SA42 fit or not (?).......and if not, please post a photo(s) of the offending area/parts that will not allow it to fit.
A Wiselite M53 will fit a MG3 "Lafette". Mine fits without the butt stock removed, but your mileage may vary? Didn't need to reinstall after I mounted it either, it was a tight fit, but does fit. Not sure how to make the photos fit the size of the message board, so it will probably cut part of it off...

Closeup of the rear showing the clearance:

Not sure if the Wiselite Receiver is indeed longer or not. I do know my receiver uses a cut down spring, not the full length springs I've heard that most Wiselite M53's use.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

It does fit but I'm not sure what is going to happen when you fire it. I believe that the stock is going to kiss the tripod. I have not had a m3 inf. support tripod out in a while. Just been working with old lafette tripods. I'll try to set one up with my mg42 and review. I'll double check a wiselite rear receiver vs a mg42 receiver rear.

As my wife just pointed out as she was walking by and saw the pic with the m53 on m3 tripod under the tree, Nice Christmas tree.... Also your pics came out well... Thanks for the post looks like a nice set up.

Later 42rocker
dover7838
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by dover7838 »

Snapped those before work. About the only place I had room in the house with adequate light to get the photos. Not sure how the wife felt about walking home and seeing that in the living room in front of the tree!

Will be testing it out next weekend. I'll let you know on the recoil with the butt stock.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

But Honey what a Great Christmas present..... Thanks.... LOL

Good Luck this weekend. Hope to see pics and get a problem free range report.

Later 42rocker
dover7838
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by dover7838 »

Didn't try it with the butt stock on it, as I didn't want to risk damage to the butt stock, or the Lafette mount. Open sites are still shooting a bit high, and to the right. Found the set screw to adjust the front sight, though that doesn't help it shooting high. Mounted on the Lafette it was shooting a bit to the right. Put about 100 rounds through it. I think a few of my belts need checked on the sizing for 8mm. Had great results with a few belts, and nothing but trouble with a few others. Need to pick up jbaum's manual for the M3 mount to help me figure out how to dial it in. The 'up and down' makes sense, but the side to side is posing a bit of a problem.

Practice Safe CSX
<stealing my monkier from the railroad forums I frequent>
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Glad to hear that you found the right belts to run with it.

Later 42rocker
pathfinder
Unteroffizier
Unteroffizier

Post by pathfinder »

Isn't the red/orange piece on the rails a lock to allow blank firing? Nice rig!
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

pathfinder
"""Isn't the red/orange piece on the rails a lock to allow blank firing?""" No, that piece keeps the rear and front recoil spring apart and working. When the weapon fires it pushes the front springs together in the recoil phase then the return phase happens and the rear springs help to stop the return without a smashing stop. The same tripod setup is used for blank fire or regular fire.

Later 42rocker
Texasgunzz
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by Texasgunzz »

Have the same exact setup Dover. I went to the range and fired it on the tripod with the buttstock with no problems or damage. I was having fun at the range until the crowd with a million questions showed up (; It's hard for them to fathom a 15 year old having such a big weapon! You can check out some videos of me firing it on YouTube, just search the name, 2Legit2Quitization