German Belt Drum modified by Waffenmeister pics

Tripods, ammo cans, gunners kit, etc.
PortHolio

German Belt Drum modified by Waffenmeister pics

Post by PortHolio »

I love artifacts with wartime handiwork. :wnana: Some unknown armorer crafted a flap style door for this Gurttrommel. It is a copy of the late war style briefly mentioned in the back of Volke's book. It's the one on the right in my first pic.

I thought it was yugo when I hit the whole thing with the paint stripper. As the paint ran off, it was apple green over sloppy tan over grey/green over red/brown primer. Underneath all that it was stamped "ddf". :oops:

The flap cover was cut/folded from blued scap metal about the same thickness as a steel ammo can. Hundreds of hammer/file marks & ragged edges. There is an elaborately folded tab that makes it click shut, yet pop right open with a tug on the starter tab. Another scrap piece was hammered flat and cut to make the hinge piece, which was welded to the drum. The hinge pin is a wavy soft iron nail with the head cut off. All the hinge parts were hand hammered over a mandrel.

I'm guessing the original was damaged or shot off, because there is a lot of welding and hole filling on the drum. Beautiful work, expecially since it was probably done with a flame?
Dscn9503a.jpg
Dscn9493a.jpg
Dscn9505a.jpg
DSCN9495.JPG
Dscn9498a.jpg
fab
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Re: German Belt Drum modified by Waffenmeister pics

Post by fab »

Hi,

the factory "cpg" made this kind of trommel in 44, markings are 'cpg 4'

it the only one factory to have made this kind of trommel.
perhaps a waffenmeister used parts form a 'cpg4' destroyed trommel to repair another trommel...

Fab
PortHolio

Re: German Belt Drum modified by Waffenmeister pics

Post by PortHolio »

Thanks for the lesson Fab. I hadn't considered it might be a factory job.

Were the ones from Doll & Co. Spielwarenfabrik, Nuremburg handbuilt from the factory? In response to Allied bombing, lots of production went home with the workers for completion. Curious if those parts looked as rough from the "factory" as they do now?

Thanks again,
PH