cali grip thoughts and opinions

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
mgfun
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

cali grip thoughts and opinions

Post by mgfun »

I sometimes have more ideas than tools or skills. I was thinking about the lost souls in cali and the need to eliminate the evil grip feature. I think the heart of the issue is to eliminate the possibility to get your thumb behind the trigger. I have seen others, such as an RPD eliminate this possibility by welding a large plate behind the grip.

This RPD solution may have worked, but did not look too attractive. I'm sure nothing really will.

Still, what if an mg34 grip is modified by cutting off the bottom half handle and tilting it aft to duplicate the rake of the FG42, model 1. You will still need to add a welded on plate between the back of the grip and the tripod mount bulge. This place the thumb on the right side grip. Since the grip panels need to be redone at that point, perhaps a thumb shelf can be added to help react the stiff trigger pull force.
cali grip 34 pic crop.JPG
cali grip 34 pic1 crop.JPG
cali grip 34 pic2 crop.JPG
Now, with that done, the grip fcg elements would be retained as is. The FG42 was touted for its futuristic look and its natural pointability with its raked grip. It was supposed to work reasonably well and it looked cool. Although the central plate hurts all of the benenfits, what do you think of the result - realtively win or stupid or gross or are there any remaining grip legal issues?

I'd hate to think that I'd created Frankenstein by cutting up expensive parts and scratching at wooden grip panels for a year.

Your thoughts please. (Also, I think this could work in a similar fashion on mg42s, if it had any value in the land of the scary grips.)

Regards,
mgfun
mgfun
mgfun
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Re: cali grip thoughts and opinions

Post by mgfun »

mgfun wrote:I sometimes have more ideas than tools or skills. I was thinking about the lost souls in cali and the need to eliminate the evil grip feature. I think the heart of the issue is to eliminate the possibility to get your thumb behind the trigger. I have seen others, such as an RPD eliminate this possibility by welding a large plate behind the grip.

This RPD solution may have worked, but did not look too attractive. I'm sure nothing really will.

Still, what if an mg34 grip is modified by cutting off the bottom half handle and tilting it aft to duplicate the rake of the FG42, model 1. You will still need to add a welded on plate between the back of the grip and the tripod mount bulge. This place the thumb on the right side grip. Since the grip panels need to be redone at that point, perhaps a thumb shelf can be added to help react the stiff trigger pull force.
The attachment cali grip 34 pic crop.JPG is no longer available
The attachment cali grip 34 pic1 crop.JPG is no longer available
Man...I am struggling with the adding of pictures - sorry.
The attachment cali grip 34 pic2 crop.JPG is no longer available
Now, with that done, the grip fcg elements would be retained as is. The FG42 was touted for its futuristic look and its natural pointability with its raked grip. It was supposed to work reasonably well and it looked cool. Although the central plate hurts all of the benenfits, what do you think of the result - realtively win or stupid or gross or are there any remaining grip legal issues?

I'd hate to think that I'd created Frankenstein by cutting up expensive parts and scratching at wooden grip panels for a year.

Your thoughts please. (Also, I think this could work in a similar fashion on mg42s, if it had any value in the land of the scary grips.)

Regards,
mgfun
cali grip 42 pic1 crop.JPG
mgfun