Feed tray fit question.

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
creels1

Feed tray fit question.

Post by creels1 »

Finished welds on receiver and was fitting parts found out the feed tray did not fit. After comparing my feed tray to the spacer (from my project guns welding jig) I discovered a 1/4 inch difference. Any body have a solution?

Thanks for your help,

Chris
creels1

Re: Feed tray fit question.

Post by creels1 »

Here are some pics.
Attachments
IMG00015-20100506-2106.jpg
IMG00014-20100506-2105.jpg
tomcatshaas
General
General

Post by tomcatshaas »

how does your rec. measure compared to this drawing?

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=8559

I fear you will have to cut and do it again or you will have ejection issues because the ejector plate will be closer to the front of the rec. than it should. we are not just talking about the feed tray not fitting here. This quarter inch difference could amount to feed and ejection issues.

The distance in your photo should measure 3.390" according to my TNW receiver.
ChrisPCook
Oberst
Oberst

Post by ChrisPCook »

Would be hard to say without seeing it in person, but if you look at an original receiver there are slight depressions located on the top of the receiver, when the feed tray comes down upon that it needs to have that bevel in it so the spring retainers in the feed tray will begin to engage to snap down on the receiver. I had rewelded one where I used a section of receiver that didn't have the bevels in that location. I used a file to angle in the correct dimensions, feed tray snapped right on.
That said the most critical dimension is from the very front of the receiver to the center of hole where the trigger gate pivots, if you are short or long it will affect how the bolt is tripped, if at all. That's why I ended up making my "extended sears" to overcome the difference and get a custom fit on rewelds. Chris...
tomcatshaas
General
General

Post by tomcatshaas »

distance from the front of my rec. to the front slot for ejector plate is 4.982"

distance from the front of my rec. to the rear feed tray lip is 4.335". Drawing dim. is 4.299".

As Chris stated, that sear dim. is critical too.
creels1

Post by creels1 »

Thanks for the replys. Talked to the guys a Project Guns, who were very helpful and are some great guys. The mistake was all mine for not checking my measurements. I used the spacer to gauge the length and not my feed tray. I cut my middle piece down to fit the spacer length and added a 1/4 in piece to the back. The overall length was correct, I was just a 1/4in long in the back and 1/4in short in the front. What would have originally been a reciever with three welds became one with four welds. Of course, now that I have to add 1/4in back to the front it will still be a four weld reciever. Will get some pics up as soon as I fix my mistake.

Thanks again for the replys,

Chris