Questions on a semi auto build

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
comrade1469

Questions on a semi auto build

Post by comrade1469 »

So I know that there is a ton of info on building a semi auto 34, I have a semi auto PPS-43 that Im thinking of trading for this kit. The Mg-34 kit's receiver has been rewelded but my friend says it will need fine tuning in order to function correctly the bolt will go back but its quite stiff. I know that I need a semi auto bolt and trigger work how much work does it really need and is it worth all of this hassel for my PPS?! Know any one that I can ship it off to, to complete? :puk:
ChrisPCook
Oberst
Oberst

Re: Questions on a semi auto build

Post by ChrisPCook »

Welcome to the forum! Hard to say w/o actually seeing your receiver, but three things in order of importance (at least in my opinion):
1) Is it welded to the proper dimensions, this is key, if so it's half the battle...
2) Is it warped? You mentioned the bolt slides stiff... If it is warped out of spec it won't go....
3) Most likely it just needs some minor fitting.... Get yourself some files and check for burrs at the weld spots, the bolt will hang up on any small burr, etc. It needs to glide smoothly.... A dremel tool with a cutoff wheel can also be angled in to clean up any unsmooth sections where it was rewelded. It won't get it all, but w/ the file you'll be able to clean stuff up.
4) Take a sharpie and color in the bottom and sides and top edges of the bolt guide on the bolt, run it through and see where it is scoring the marked areas, that may also help you nail it down.
5) After it's cleaned up make sure it's properly lubed.

TNW will supply the conversion parts and modify your bolt. Some others do this work as well. Chris...
Look over the tutorial at projectguns.com. If you haven't seen it you may find it helpful.
Sd.kfz.173
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Sd.kfz.173 »

Welcome to the site comrade1469 :welcome: ...Any questions you have can be answered here(I know I asked some real dooseys). Alot can be found it the stickies section,I'm about to start an MG34 semi build myself. The help I got for my MG42 build assured it runs like a dream. :sniper:

Bill :read:
comrade1469

Post by comrade1469 »

Wow! Good info guys! The sharpie idea was a great Idea Im out of town and havent been able to check it out so I will get some files and a sharpie and give it a go. I put up some pics here soon. Is it illegal if it was a cut reciever and was re-welded??? :thumbs:
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by JBaum »

It's only illegal if it's able to be assembled with full auto parts. If the full auto parts don't fit, it's fine.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
ChrisPCook
Oberst
Oberst

Post by ChrisPCook »

comrade1469 wrote:Wow! Good info guys! The sharpie idea was a great Idea Im out of town and havent been able to check it out so I will get some files and a sharpie and give it a go. I put up some pics here soon. Is it illegal if it was a cut reciever and was re-welded??? :thumbs:
There is a lot of info here on the legalities section and also on weaponeer.net regarding no-nos, probably a good idea to read up, I did before I even thought about buying my first kit.... Also, for the 34, look at Pirates site, projectguns.com. The area that he welds in are the same as on the TNW Semiauto MG34 receiver, which is an approved BATF design. Chris...
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

The receiver has to have a slot welded in,the TNW is made without the slot.Conversion to semi is much differant than on the 42/53,as the gun originally was either full or semi auto,the 42/53 was just full auto.
Just be sure things are straight and to the proper tolerances,if there is a mistake in the 42/53,it can be recut and fixed,not so much with the 34.Good luck,and welcome to the site.Glad to see you are moving up to a' real 'gun! [PPS43 is nice,though!] I had to add that for Rocco and the AZ guys! ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert