Dummy receiver

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
cipollinaj
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Dummy receiver

Post by cipollinaj »

Just would like your opinion on a dummy receiver.

I bought a torched receiver from Apex for $75.00
that ( luckily ) came with nice serial number and waffenamts.
Torch cuts are horrible though !

Should I have someone weld it so all exterior parts fit (as a dummy not a semi) ?
I really don't want to make a semi now.

Phil. Ord. wants $475.00 for their dummy.

Do you guys have an idea who could do this weld so all exterior parts
will fit and an idea of pricing.

I just want to see if worth it.
ScottD
Major
Major

Re: Dummy receiver

Post by ScottD »

You will NOT be content with a dummy. DO NOT just garbage weld it together, you risk damaging the receiver. If you REALLY want to dummy it up, I suggest you either make a device to hold it together from the inside (some expanding channels in the rails) or some type of bondo/JB weld combination.

Is yours cut thru the safety area? (the area in the middle where the safety latch pivots thru)
My soultion for everything "Get a bigger hammer or larger caliber!"
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

Excellent advice ScottD

It really is best to cob it together in a way whereby if you ever wanted to turn it into a semi you could. The other problem is if you welded it together as a dummy, you would have to either put a block in it so that the bolt cannot be inserted or do the receiver semi-mods anyway to keep the revenuers happy.

Whereas if you just do what a guy I know did, he inserted a piece of wood through the bolt rails the length of the receiver, aligned the receiver pieces on it, inserted and worked some artist clay into the fissures made by the torch, spray painted it black, carefully attached everything, sat it up on his shelf in his den, and bingo problem solved.

The Philly’s are expensive for what you get, usually many guys are willing to sell the ones they have. They are nice for a dummy gun you want to pick up, charge the handle, and work like a functional gun, but if you just want a stationary display piece you do not have to spend the money for the Philly or a weld.
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

DO NOT clean up the receiver and slide the bolt thru the sections. If you do that, it will be too late......you will officially start wanting to build a semi. The way this gun works is amazing. There isnt much too it and you will be fooled into complacency......"Oh,the bolt slides freely, that half the battle......."

And then you are sucked in....muhwooohahahaaaaaa!
cipollinaj
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Post by cipollinaj »

Scott,
I did exactly what you said not to do.

I cleaned up the pieces of the receiver.... put the bolt in
....adrenalin started to rush
.........UPS just took my baby away for a rebuild :wnana:
John
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by 42rocker »

www.Prussia.us
I really like your friends idea for making a dummy mg34.... As I'm tring to work on a couple of other projects right now.

cipollinaj looks like your hooked...LOL

scottd I really enjoyed your 2nd post....LOL

Later 42rocker
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

cipollinaj wrote:Scott,
I did exactly what you said not to do.

I cleaned up the pieces of the receiver.... put the bolt in
....adrenalin started to rush
.........UPS just took my baby away for a rebuild :wnana:
John
Ya know, I friggen warned you! You will get the receiver back and the bolt will glide like glass.....you will be all pumped. THEN you will start to fiddle with the semi auto trigger and you WILL CURSE THE DAY YOU IGNORED ME!

Honestly, this gun has more little problems that will drive you nuts. When I start a project I usually work on it every night for a few weeks until Im finished. I actually had to put my 34 away for a month because I was so frustrated. I think Ive got most of the bugs worked out but man was it a bumpy ride. Good luck with yours.
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

ScottD,

I could not have conveyed it better, why is it that some of these parts kits just scream “build me” “build me?”
:shock:
I wish I could blame it on paint fumes, malt liquor, black mold, etc., but now I do not have to, because obviously others share the communion :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock:
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

Its like a treasure hunt. We are a very select group of people who recreate history. We are subject matter experts on markings, mechanical function and the legalities of this art form. When one of us gets a cosmogoo covered parts kits, the collective history of engineering, war, machismo and personal experience collide. Hell, my 34 receiver has Nazi stamps, Russian capture marks AND a Star of David......you cant find a better history lesson. Even after we dump thousands into these things, some of them dont ever function right. Im fine with that, because Ive done my best to preserve a little part of history.

Oh, and then there are your friends reaction to your beltfed collection.......

"HOLY F'ING SHEEET" "IS THAT A F'ING MACHING GUN?????"

No my friend, that is a legal semi auto MG34 that I built from a pile of scrap metal.......
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by 42rocker »

scottd
You forgot to add

"YOU Can't have that,,,, its illegal........"

But then the following statement comes out... "THATS COOL,,, can I shoot it??????"

Later 42rocker
got to get back to my builds lol