Rotary Tool Advice

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Rotary Tool Advice

Post by www.Prussia.us »

My very old Dremel JUST broke, literally, and I am going to have pick up a new rotary tool to finish some projects.

Does anyone here know of a suitable rotary tool made in the US, from preliminary research I gather the Dremels now are made in China? :puk: :shock: :puk:

If Dremels are made in China, then any opinions on the best knock-off (because I will not support Dremel) would be appreciated, but I MUCH rather get one made here.
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Re: Rotary Tool Advice

Post by Bil »

Not sure where Roto-Zip is made,I used a friends and it seemed good.If you have a source for compressed air,I would go that way. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
gdmoore28
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by gdmoore28 »

I bought my top-of-the-line Dremel last year, and am I glad they have a five-year guarantee. I don't know where they are made, but mine has not been dependable, nor has the Four replacements that they have sent me.

Every time I use it -- always for light duty stuff -- it gets so hot that I can't use it without gloves. Put it under just a little stress, and it literally starts spewing sparks and smoke.

The company has been great at replacing my bad one with another rebuilt unit, with a turnaround of less than one week. In every instance I have asked to have an upgraded, reliable Dremel and offered to pay for the upgrade, but no response. The company service is great, but apparently they simply do not have a good product to provide their customers.

If I have to buy again, I will be following Bil's suggestion and buying a Roto-Zip. I've heard very good reports about it, and it looks much better built.

I hate to have to change tools, because I have a bit of money invested in the Dremel accessories. I just wish they would build a dependable product. (Apparently the older Dremel's were much better and more rugged -- or so I've been told.)

GeeDeeEmm
" The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government . . . . When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Yes,I have a real old Dremel,it looks like from about 1950! The box is wood,with dovetail joints-worth more than the entire new Dremel! Still works great,but I use the new one on the stuff I really have to dig into,save the old one for good projects! ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
amafrank
Major
Major

Post by amafrank »

If you are serious about getting a quality tool than look at Foredom Tools. They are not really the simple hand held that the dremel is but are bulletproof and quite handy. The motor assembly drives the handpiece through a cable drive so the handpiece is small and easy to use. I like the electric tools because they don't depend on a continuous air supply and have a constant torque. They are available through Jewelry makers supply houses (sorry, thats where I ran into them, jewelry making) and possibly through other sources. There are lots of accessory tools and parts available so a blowup doesn't mean the whole tool is trash. I bought one from Indian Jewelers supply in Albuquerque NM when I was in High school and it did a lot of work before some idiot stole my tools. Indiana jewelers supply has a website and does mail order and so does Thunderbird supply, both are based in Gallup New mexico if I recall correctly.

If you want to go with air tools check harbor freight for their pencil grinder. They run 30K rpm and at $35 ea they are a use and dispose of tool. I've worn out a couple of them and I use one for a tool-post grinder in recovering dewatted barrels.

Hope that helps
Frank
Matt
Major
Major

Post by Matt »

buy dumore or du-more. made in usa and they last forever.
rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

Matt wrote:buy dumore or du-more. made in usa and they last forever.
:lol: I have one must have been made in the early sixties & still works ...
resting
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by resting »

I have a 25 year old Dremel that is still going strong but bought a Black and Decker at an outlet store that I now use for heavy stuff to save wear on my Dremel. I have a Harbor Freight air grinder as discussed above that I use for tight places as well. I too consider it a throw away item but it has kept going so far.
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

THANKS guys for all the input. I picked up a used Sioux brand air powered rotary made in the USA and I will buy one of those DuMore's Matt, that is great. If Rocco cannot wear it out, then it must be indestructable :lol:
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
railsplitter

Post by railsplitter »

I read with interest all the chatter on Dremel - I have an older one I love the recent new 200 Series (made in Mexico) just crapped out - quality products seem to be a thing of the past :(
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

Ive got a variable speed Black and Decker, pretty sure its from Wally world. This thing has eaten more slag and dressed more welds than I can count. Im sure Ive gone thru an entire rock quarry of stone wheels. (Most of them shattered, ending up somewhere on my cheeks) The multi speed setting is the bees knees.....my old single speed stays hidden, for when I need to get filthy under a car or something....
My soultion for everything "Get a bigger hammer or larger caliber!"
amafrank
Major
Major

Post by amafrank »

http://www.foredom.com/

theres the link for the foredom tools....

Frank
rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

amafrank wrote:http://www.foredom.com/

theres the link for the foredom tools....

Frank

now this I like and they sell repair parts to keep it going...