reweld done, do I need to heat treat?

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
ScottD
Major
Major

reweld done, do I need to heat treat?

Post by ScottD »

My receiver reweld is almost done. The blueprints that I purchased have information about heat treating and hardness...my question is....Do I have to heat treat this receiver now?

I dont know if it matters but this weapon will be semi only and will not be getting fired much.....maybe a few hundred rounds a year....
My soultion for everything "Get a bigger hammer or larger caliber!"
ScottD
Major
Major

Re: reweld done, do I need to heat treat?

Post by ScottD »

Seriously, 25 people have looked at this thread and NO input???? :swear:
rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

well what did you use for the receiver What type steel ? this would determine if hardning is needed but if you dont get a response its usually because no one has an answer for your question try explaining more if its an original reweld of an existing cut receiver No its not needed if its a BRP no its not needed If its a Cold steel who knows what metal he used I would think yes if its a Wiselite ask them as thy would be best to answer that Question
geladen

Post by geladen »

this is the first i have heard about heat treating... none of the info i have researched on the rewelds mention it. now that the door is open how about chryo freezing to relieve the stresses? pirate is the one to ask.... dont bother him too much, please, he has my 34 :lol:
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

Its an original German receiver, rewelded with TIG, mild SS rod.

If nobody has any input, like you suggested, I guess nobody knows. If nobody knows, then I assume nobody has done it. If nobody has done it, Id bet its not necessary......
rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

ScottD wrote:Its an original German receiver, rewelded with TIG, mild SS rod.

If nobody has any input, like you suggested, I guess nobody knows. If nobody knows, then I assume nobody has done it. If nobody has done it, Id bet its not necessary......

I have re-welded 6 original german recivers & 2 Yugo ones they dont require heat treating as I stated above before only ones that I can think would would be thin sheet metal of unknown grade and I'm sure you know what they say about people that Assume..... :lol:
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

This is for a 34-I have never seen any referance to heat treating,have you checked in Pirates tutorial? ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

Bil wrote:This is for a 34-I have never seen any referance to heat treating,have you checked in Pirates tutorial? ---bil
Ohhh Duhhh I thought it was for a 42 Haaaahhh :lol: I never heard of anyone heat treating one I believe there would be warpage if attempted :?
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

Good point Rocco, those damn receivers are so fickle.

Glad to hear you found a front piece Scott :D
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
mdm2

Post by mdm2 »

if anything you would want to aneal the areas welded, if the recievers are made from a steel with carbon content ie heat treatable they will be hard as class in the areas welded,i would expect the rest of the reciever to be colse to the original rockwell and the welded areas to be much harder, the welded areas will be full hard. most heat treated steel is drawn back after heat treat to a desirable rockwell,

With all that being said i dont think any of this is a real issue with the 34 reciever, i dont think the welded areas are hard enough to cause a prooblem
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

My welder called me again and brought up the heat treating issue. What is annealing, and can I do it at home with nothing more than MAPP gas? (Yes, Ive got a very basic understanding of heat treating?)
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

Scott, I really do not know of anyone heat-treating a '34 re-weld, I never heat-treated mine of course it was about as straight as a wiener schnitzel :lol: so it never saw action; I highly recommend you call project guns and just ask Jorge or Stan, a 30 second call will solve all, they are the masters :)
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864