Welding question

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
jimdvan

Welding question

Post by jimdvan »

I have two sections I need to weld together. Reader's Digest version; both sections were cut on a diagonal opposite direction to one another. One is angle grinder cut, the other torch cut. On one the cut was made in front of the rear pistol grip hole and the other was cut behind the tripod lug.

In laying them next to one another it looks like the easiest way to mate them is to cut each one straight down between the rear pistol grip hole and the tripod lug.

Any comments or suggestions? I'll post photos when I can.
jimdvan

Re: Welding question

Post by jimdvan »

Here's my situation;

Pirate
General
General

Post by Pirate »

cut them square between the holes and machine them flat.
jimdvan

Post by jimdvan »

Thanks. You validated my thought. There's enough material on each to cut them at angles but since I am math challenged it seemed easier to cut them square.
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Pirate-how much extra would you allow for machining? In other words,how close to the desired line would you saw cut? Also-I have some cuts that overlap,but not enough for a straight up and down cut,but I could cut and machine both pieces on the same angle and plane.Any disadvantages to this besides more welding? Thanks. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
Pirate
General
General

Post by Pirate »

how much you leave depends on how straight you can cut them and how you plan on squaring them. I would leave a minimum of .050" on them then square one side and carefully fir the other. as for your question Bil, I would cut them square and fill the remaining gap unless you have a mill and can accurately machine both faces to the correct angle.