Dummy receiver - how to ?

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
mario33

Dummy receiver - how to ?

Post by mario33 »

I'm building an mg34 for show purposes. Due to the strict local gun law, I cannot build it firing - neither full or semi- or even single shot :) no firing caps too.

Important shooting parts: reciver, barrel, bolt are therefore not allowed.

What I would need is some help/guidance with:
- making dummy receiver that externally looks the same (down to the strictest detail as possible), but forms some kind of metal monoblock part, with working feed tray (meaining attaching trommels or dummy ammo belts), cocking handle, butt and pistol grip
- exact sizing/blueprint of original barrel

all possible original parts would be used apart from the a.m.
salt6
General
General
Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: Dummy receiver - how to ?

Post by salt6 »

Check out Phip. Ord. They make dummy receivers.
Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

John Newton (1725-1807)

George Orwell

salt6
mario33

Post by mario33 »

salt6 wrote:Check out Phip. Ord. They make dummy receivers.
Excuse me being a complete beginner, but pls expand the letters to full name :) Is this a US-based company or what ?
carlque
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by carlque »

The name is Philadelphia Ordnance Inc. it is a U.S. company! Try www.philaord.com
railsplitter

Post by railsplitter »

A dummy gun based on a parts kit and Phiadelphia rec will still accept a barrel as its in the shroud. Can you weld or plug it?
carlque
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by carlque »

I do not see what difference it makes if a barrel will fit or NOT, as it will NEVER fire a single round useing a dummy receiver!! I have an MG34 (DUMMY) with an aluminium SOLID reciever, and I assure you that it would never fire a single round,no matter how much I wish it would, :( LOL!! Keep an eye out on GB, I bought mine for about $70.00 just a few months ago!
mario33

Post by mario33 »

I would rather go for solid receiver, too. Just to avoid trouble. Any hint as to where to find one ?

Carlque, would you be so kind to present a few pics of your M34 with solid receiver ? close-ups would be great ;) but general view would also do. Is the cocking handle working (for reality purpose) ? Is it possible to mount a real feed tray to the solid receiver ? (i need the gurttrommel to be attached, as well as dummy ammo belts). Is is possible to remove and reinstall barrells (or dummy barrells) as in the original ?

I need the gun to be as close to original as possible, including simulated operation of parts (surely excluding firing itself). but would accept limitations if needed be.
carlque
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by carlque »

I am truly sorry Mario, but I do not have the ability to post pics yet. The solid receiver that I have looks real except it will NOT except a bolt. The feed tray installs and the top cover opens and closes.A belt with ammo can be set in place and cover closed. The barrel can be installed AND removed in the normal way, ie the barrel shroud assembly unlatches and rotates open and closes. The cocking handle WILL slide on mine,but is VERY tight. That is not important to me, as it is only a static display.You could loosen it up, I suppose. I believe that these were from mg34.com, but I am not siure about that. There are not a lot of places for mg34 parts or assesories. I am going to sell my dummy receiver as soon as I can afford to buy a real one, but that may be awhile! LOL. You COULD weld up an original demilled receiver into a dummy, that is done a LOT! You might be able to find a few demilled pieces that are not useable for a semi-auto reweld for a reasonable price! GOOD LUCK!! Rod (carlque aka dellque)