34 welding advise needed

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
jstrohm
Leutnant
Leutnant

34 welding advise needed

Post by jstrohm »

was wondering if you have gaps between the pieces like on on 42 receiver is it adviseable to reweld it. or do you need to have overlaping pieces? any advise is welcome, thanks in advance
Pirate
General
General

Re: 34 welding advise needed

Post by Pirate »

it is best if the parts fit tight. read my tutorial
helix60
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by helix60 »

Due to the metal composite, thickness and it's variance, it is extreemly difficult to fill gaps with welds on the fixture. You do have the option of building up the areas that you need individualy and fitting them together that way with no gap. Also if you build them up prior to fitting you can recontour all the internal surfaces so you wont have to do them later.

Regards,
Heli
Regards,
Heli

BTW If you are going to shorten Helix60 It's Heli NOT Helix.
flemgunner
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by flemgunner »

Being that Im new to this welding stuff how would you build the individual sections with weld and not get weld all over the section?
Glenn
2receivers
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by 2receivers »

Things have gotten a 5month set back at this end buy now it is brightening up & I can go on again.
Now---------when welding the 34 receiver's sections can you cool them in a bucket of water to cool them down so you can work on them again or do you have to wait for air cool down? You cannot get them to hot and distort so I was wondering about the H2O cool down approach---Thanks====Frank