MG34 Receiver Repair Section - A Review

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
762x51
Oberst
Oberst

MG34 Receiver Repair Section - A Review

Post by 762x51 »

Helix60 (Andy) sent me one of the MG34 receiver repair sections that he made and I wanted to share some photos of it with you. This is a very well machined section that is long enough to enable someone with an original front and rear piece to build a nice semi-auto receiver.

I think Andy made 5 or so of these and he told me that he wasn't going to make any more so if you want one I'd drop him a line at helix60@neo.rr.com right away. Andy had some Internet Provider problems for a while but he's back online now so you shouldn't have any problems reaching him. I don't know what he wants for these but I feel sure the price will be right..

I've taken several photos to show you what he has made. The outside is slightly larger (about 0.010") than the original so you can blend the pieces after welding. The bolt guide channel was Wire EDM'ed and appears to be spot on.

Regards,
Orin
Attachments
IMG_0210.jpg
IMG_0211.jpg
IMG_0212.jpg
IMG_0213.jpg
"It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it." Gen. R.E. Lee CSA
Skype ID: ACE1100
762x51
Oberst
Oberst

Re: MG34 Receiver Repair Section - A Review

Post by 762x51 »

More Photos....
Attachments
IMG_0214.jpg
IMG_0215.jpg
IMG_0216.jpg
IMG_0217.jpg
"It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it." Gen. R.E. Lee CSA
762x51
Oberst
Oberst

Post by 762x51 »

More Photos...

The last photo shows you the original pieces that you would need to complete this receiver.
Attachments
IMG_0218.jpg
IMG_0219.jpg
IMG_0220.jpg
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Thanks,Orin-I have been waiting for this review,Andy told me a while ago you were going to check them out.Glad to see that they came out so nice.Hopefully this will help those of us in need of 34 receivers! Thanks. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
BELTLEAD

Post by BELTLEAD »

Orin,

Thanks for the pictures!A lot of different views.How hard do you think it would be to cut out the bolt handle slot?
762x51
Oberst
Oberst

Post by 762x51 »

BELTLEAD wrote:Orin,

Thanks for the pictures!A lot of different views.How hard do you think it would be to cut out the bolt handle slot?
Not hard at all - if you have a mill and proper size key cutter.... :?

It's definitely not something that you could do - properly - with a Dremel tool..... :(

Orin
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

To clarify-pic#0214 is Heli's receiver,pic#0217 is the same view of an original,correct? This would give an idea of the machining left. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
762x51
Oberst
Oberst

Post by 762x51 »

Bil,

Pic #217 is a view looking into the rear of the receiver with the original 34 rear piece siting on the new repair section.
Not a really good photo but I was trying to show how the bolt guide channels aligned.
This same original rear section is shown in pic #218

Orin
mgfun
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by mgfun »

The look nice. They must have taken quite a bit of effort. I didn't notice a price for these. Do you have any idea?
Regards,
mgfun
mgfun
762x51
Oberst
Oberst

Post by 762x51 »

mgfun....

Please contact Andy for price.....

Orin
762x51 wrote:<SNIP>
I think Andy made 5 or so of these and he told me that he wasn't going to make any more so if you want one I'd drop him a line at helix60@neo.rr.com right away. Andy had some Internet Provider problems for a while but he's back online now so you shouldn't have any problems reaching him. I don't know what he wants for these but I feel sure the price will be right..<SNIP>
helix60
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by helix60 »

mgfun wrote:The look nice. They must have taken quite a bit of effort. I didn't notice a price for these. Do you have any idea?
Regards,
mgfun
Thanks for the interest. As for price the origional price was $575 each, but was going to increase on the second run due to Wire EDM machine time. But since I'm not planning on making any more at this time, and I would like to recoupe at least some of the investment. The price is $500 each plus shipping. There are times I am a bit slow with things due to other work and life. Some have rightfuly complained but still received what they paid for. I have no problem sending COD, to comfort yourself, so long as you accept the cost of the COD.

Right now I am somewhat busy with a Drastic Family Emergency that will take probably 6 months to get better. So please be patient with replies to inquires.

Regards,
Heli (Andy)
Regards,
Heli

BTW If you are going to shorten Helix60 It's Heli NOT Helix.
helix60
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by helix60 »

Bil,
The interenal dimensions of the repair section are identacle to the origional with the exception of the slot for the bolt ledge. (the ledge is removed in the semi auto conversion) The step you see in the pics is due to the buffer threads and buffer spring. If you use a rear section that is about 2" long instead of the minimum 1-1/2" you will not need to bore out the rear of the receiver however you will have to shorten the section accordingly.

Next week I will repost the pics of an assembly of this center section that were deleted from the old site by myself. Including the setup used to cut the charging handle slot.

Regards,
Heli (Andy)
Bil wrote:To clarify-pic#0214 is Heli's receiver,pic#0217 is the same view of an original,correct? This would give an idea of the machining left. ---bil
Regards,
Heli

helix60
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by helix60 »

Here are some pics no particular order. Just uploading them in a hurry.
Attachments
P4070101.JPG
P4070102.JPG
P4070103.JPG
Regards,
Heli

helix60
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by helix60 »

More Pics
Attachments
P4130110.JPG
P4070104.JPG
P4070106.JPG
P4070107.JPG
Regards,
Heli

Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Andy-thank you for the clarification and the pics.I wish you luck with the family. ---bil
helix60
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by helix60 »

Thanks Bil, and everyone,
The wife has been moved to rehab yesterday. She's scared and confused but doing much better. Sooner or later I can get her moved closer to home.

Bil wrote:Andy-thank you for the clarification and the pics.I wish you luck with the family. ---bil
Regards,
Heli

BELTLEAD

Post by BELTLEAD »

How much would you charge to cut the charging handle slot?I have a Bridgeport mill and a Logan lathe,but I haven't learned to do anything complicated yet,and spending $500 on your center section and making a mistake would ruin my day.Wouldn't it still be under a 80% receiver with the handle slot cut out because the front and back end aren't attached?
helix60
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by helix60 »

I'd have to think about it. I'm pretty sure I could at least rough it out for you. Could possibly lend you the fixture to set it up on the Bridgport too. 80% is only a public description, ATF does not have a definition of 80%. Just whether or not it's a firearm.
Cost for roughing wouldn't be too much. It,s actualy better to finish it when assembled with the ends, since I have found some varience in the charging slot from origional receiver sections. All it takes is a 5/16 end mill and a small key cutter.

BELTLEAD wrote:How much would you charge to cut the charging handle slot?I have a Bridgeport mill and a Logan lathe,but I haven't learned to do anything complicated yet,and spending $500 on your center section and making a mistake would ruin my day.Wouldn't it still be under a 80% receiver with the handle slot cut out because the front and back end aren't attached?
Regards,
Heli

BELTLEAD

Post by BELTLEAD »

Heli,

How did you learn to do all of that fancy machining like the tricky slot for the safety? Are you a machinist or millright by trade or did you learn as a hobby?
helix60
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by helix60 »

16 yrs Tool, Die and Mold work. Plus my Dad was a Machiniest for 40yrs and taught me a lot when I was a kid. I've probably hand typed more lines of G Machine code than what comes with windows.
Actualy the Safety Selector slot is pretty easy on the 34. It's the same radius and center but different depths.
BELTLEAD wrote:Heli,

How did you learn to do all of that fancy machining like the tricky slot for the safety? Are you a machinist or millright by trade or did you learn as a hobby?
Regards,
Heli