Spring is in the Air

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
maddog51
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter
Anti-spam: Mg42

Spring is in the Air

Post by maddog51 »

Well not here in NW Indiana, it's cold & more slop to come. I'm talking about the Mg 34 firing pin spring.
I'm replacing TNW's to get a better cocking pull on my 34. I ordered two firing pin springs from Sarco Inc $5 each, everyone else is out.
Not knowing if these springs will be worn out, but from what I've read here I'll give it a try. With some concern, some here say it may not fire different types of ammo. Some say they tried to contact Wolff Gunsprings, was there any luck in that?
Well enough with my rambling, Has anyone tried a Colt 45 1911 recoil spring? I does fit the firing pin and slide into the bolt.
It is to long, I have a standard 1911 barrel 5 1/2" , I'm not going to cut , but many dealers have colt 45 recoil springs in different weights. Normal 1911 5 1/2" spring is 16 lbs. and you can go higher up to 28 lb. or lower down to 7 lb.
When I get my Sarco mg34 springs, I'll see how long they should be and maybe I'll have to experiment if I need too. It's just a thought.
maddog51
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Re: Spring is in the Air

Post by maddog51 »

Correction.. My standard 45 1911 has a 5" barrel the recoil spring is 6" long.
Sarco's mg34 springs are 5" long. With Sarco's spring there is a greatly reduced charging pull & trigger pull. Now I really wish spring was in the air, I can't wait to try it out.
I guess nobody here has tried the 1911 recoil springs , but size wise they will work. You'll just have to do some experimenting for a correct weight.
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

If you have the capability of de-priming and priming, using shells that have only a primer (no powder or bullet) in them is a good way to test a gun for firing pin action indoors. Of course there's no recoil, so the feed/ejection doesn't happen, but that's not where you're at right now. Primers are about 3 cents each, so it's cheap, too.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
maddog51
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by maddog51 »

Thanks for the reply Jbaum I'll have to try that.

I used to be a reloader : Dillon RL 450/550 press , at the time I bought it I think it was just called the 450.
No trays on the sides just one to collect your bullet when done and no primmer buzzer to let you know you were out. All those bells & whistles a really done need,you just have to watch what your doing. I know I had some 8mm dies on a tool head, just have to see if I still have some cases. And those primers I have must be 10yrs old. Don't really want to pull bullets but that may be my last resort.

Thanks Again