34 lafette bracket

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
Franz20
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann
Anti-spam: Mg42

34 lafette bracket

Post by Franz20 »

I've recently acquired a Yugo 42 lafette (Yugo lafette with a mix of 42 lafette parts). I own an MG-34 though. I've seen another member on here convert a yugo lafette to a 34 lafette with great success. But the crucial piece is the front bracket/clamp/system.

Has anyone tried to reproduce that piece? Would anyone be willing to venture and try to? I've spoken to several machinists and showed them photos. They doubt it would be difficult, but they all pose the same question. "Do you have an original I can copy?". If I had an original, I wouldn't be there!

So are there any highly skilled machinists with a 34 lafette that would ever consider such an undertaking?

Frank
Franz20
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Re: 34 lafette bracket

Post by Franz20 »

Shot in the dark, does anyone have a Lafette 34 near indianapolis? Theres a company called Indianapolis Ordnance that does top quality custom work. He's looking into possibly doing this project. If someone nearby would be willing to donate a few hours of their time and their lafette for him to measure, that would help this project along.

Frank
Franz20
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Franz20 »

C'mon there are no 34 owners who want to own a 34 lafette?
Franz20
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Franz20 »

Or if anyone has an original 34 lafette bracket they'd like to sell?
anjongni
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by anjongni »

AS I follow the listings on G/B for "MG34 parts", there are a couple of folks in So CA that typically advertise. One in particular has a ROOMFULL of MG34s on Lafette-34s. He just sold a latch, inexpensively.
I would get to know him by purchasing some random part...then breach the question.
The clamp is a mechanical answer to a simple math problem. Being lousy at math, I would solve it with cardboard cut-outs and tracings of the end of a shroud...and a thumbtack.
I did notice that the "latch" is similar to the clamp-on panzershroud accessories. The clamps are available from AAS Sniper98.
If you get them made, let me know. Good luck....Phil
anjongni
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by anjongni »

http://www.ima-usa.com/original-german- ... -1943.html
Couple close-ups of the bracket. I see that it pivots on the same center as the receiver pin.
Those brilliant Germans!....Phil
anjongni
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by anjongni »

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =481095938
pix984072562.jpg
This unloved MG34 "Lafayette" looks to be in a junkyard in OK. Hope somebody talks the owner into sanity and gets it to restore.....Phil
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

Just remember if you copy the MG34 Lafette-front-mounting-bracket (to weld into an MG42-Lafette-Rail-system) that when the MG34 Barrel-Jacket pivots to the right, it also "cams" forward about 3/8" in that front mount.

Regards, RichardS
US Army, Retired
anjongni
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by anjongni »

Richard, I didn't realize that it also cammed forward. Makes sense. Thanks for the info....Phil