welding...

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
sharmanajusmc

welding...

Post by sharmanajusmc »

whats would you say is a fair price to pay for bare bones welding on an mg34 torch cut receiver? I really want to build one of these but I'm sad to say I lack a welder and the necessary skills required to do the job. I would like to do all the fitting and grinding myself but need someone to put it on the jig and weld her up.
CaptMax
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier

Re: welding...

Post by CaptMax »

This would have to be done by a licensed 02/07 FFL. This would be considered manufacturing a receiver any way you look at it and hence the required license. As a completed receiver it would also require their name and information engraved permanently onto it. Prices for this run anywhere from $250-$1000 depending on the type of firearm and receiver and any additional finishing requested. When finished it would be required to be shipped to an FFL and recorded in their books.
CaptMax
sharmanajusmc

Post by sharmanajusmc »

so I could do it myself but If i get help with it the person has to be an SOT?
flemgunner
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by flemgunner »

Yep. Of course that is for a semi only build. If you wanted to do a full auto you would have to be a SOT and register it as a post sample
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Correct me if I am wrong-but if he was to prepare all the parts,and have a friend that welds help him do this,show and guide him in welding this,isn't that also legal? I don't think you have to be all alone when doing this-look at the build parties,some guys don't know much but others help. I know this is certainly not the same as sending it to be done,which would require the above mentioned steps. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
flemgunner
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by flemgunner »

Correct as usual bil
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

WHEW!!! :shock: :lol: ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

Bil: Always willing to be the unwitting accomplice.

Hey Bil... hold this gun for me, just for a few days...! :)
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Hey-I have a Garand that was given to me like that-4 years ago! I see you survived the blizzard-doesn't it get cold when the wind blows snow up your dress? :shock: Merry Christmas! ---bil
Taurus454
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Post by Taurus454 »

Welding isn't that hard. I took a welding class at community college for $400 and took the kids with me. I bought an Everlast Arc/TIG welder for $575 that came with most items needed to weld. I spent about a $1,000 to get a welding table, helmets (my kids love welding), rods, scrap iron to practice welds, and assorted items to start my own welding shop in my garage. I paid another $200 to get the parts to run a 50 AMP 240 Volt line in my house to the garage. I know 50 AMPS, but if I buy the plasma cutter TIG welder later I will need it:) I'll finish running the electric this weekend and be up and running.

I think if you do something like this then you will be forever happy with yourself. Yes, I know it is expensive but besides enjoying a new hobby, you'll be able to fix things that shops will tell you can't be fixed. For example, my wife's van door broke. There is a thin piece of metal in it about four inches wide that actually snapped. They want to charge her $1,500 plus for a new door. I will now be able to TIG weld the door back into shape and fix her door problem for her saving me $1,500 because mechanics today are mostly parts changers and not repair men.

That $1,500 savings can be viewed one of two ways. First, repayment for the Arc/TIG welder leaving me short $600 dollars for now. Second, the knowledge that I just put $1,500 cash in my pocket to buy more guns ;) You decide how you view it but you might as well know I just bought some MG42 items this week!
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

Bil wrote:Hey-I have a Garand that was given to me like that-4 years ago! I see you survived the blizzard-doesn't it get cold when the wind blows snow up your dress? :shock: Merry Christmas! ---bil

One word, Bil: Rogaine.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

I think I just felt the entire cosmos shudder..... :shock: ---bil
Intruder196
Major
Major

Post by Intruder196 »

sharmanajusmc wrote:whats would you say is a fair price to pay for bare bones welding on an mg34 torch cut receiver? I really want to build one of these but I'm sad to say I lack a welder and the necessary skills required to do the job. I would like to do all the fitting and grinding myself but need someone to put it on the jig and weld her up.
You could send it to Pirate at projectguns.com. He does these, but the charge varies on how destroyed your receiver is. Or you could invest in a small tig welder from Harbor Freight. Check out these tutorials

http://www.projectguns.com/tig.html

http://www.projectguns.com/mg342.html

I have the same tig welder in his tutorial. They are around $300 from HF, but I got mine on sale for $200. So far it has been worth every penny.

I just completed my semi build using these tutorials and a projectguns weld jig. I had to buy 2 demilled receivers to get enough scrap to fill in some of the gaps.