Receiver-Barrel Shroud Attachment Issue

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
mgmeyerand

Receiver-Barrel Shroud Attachment Issue

Post by mgmeyerand »

I have a torch cut receiver that I'll weld together. But before doing that, when I try to attach the front part of the receiver to the barrel shroud, it won't close. It spins around to about one inch left before attaching and I can't move it the last inch. It's too tight to the shroud. Any thoughts on what to do? I don't want to take a hammer to it and try to bend it to fit.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: Receiver-Barrel Shroud Attachment Issue

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

I can't tell what you are talking about from your message. Please post pics.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

With the bbl stud 180 off from the shroud, leave about 3/16th of an inch between the stud and the receiver. They will time right up. They should not be touching before you rotate it closed.
My soultion for everything "Get a bigger hammer or larger caliber!"
mgmeyerand

Post by mgmeyerand »

I can't get the pictures to upload. The issue is that when I spin the front end of the receiver around it gets wedged tight with the shroud before it finishes coming around and locking. It has about an inch to go when the receiver is wedged tight to the shroud. Do I have to grind off some metal from the shroud to get the receiver to have more room to lock in place or an I missing something? Thanks for the patience. Give me an email address and I can send pictures to you.
rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

Read what Scott wrote above your last post its the answer to your problem Quite common mistake with the 34
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

I know you are frustrated, but do EXACTLY as I say....(lets see if I can still master instructions without pictures....)

1)Hold bbl shroud in left hand. Depress shroud button w left thumb.
2)Insert receiver stub w right hand. Insert stub w "receiver" at outside 3'oclock position. When there is about 3/8 left of the stub, let OFF the bbl button.
3)Rotate stub clockwise.

If you have all your slag cleaned up, it will smoothly roll into place. If you have the bbl latch in place, it will take some effort to get it past the latch head. Make sure there is NO slag anywhere. Even a lip or .010 buildup here will bind you up.

These instructions are given after a 6 pack of Blue Moon. Forgive me if Im a bit off.....
rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

Your dead on with that explanation Scott ... :thumbs:
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

In other words,the threads are 'timed',you have to start at the right spot.You are starting the threads too soon,and are bottoming out too soon.Scott has it right,like Rocco says! :lol: Let us know how you make out-no hammers! ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
mgmeyerand

Post by mgmeyerand »

Thanks guys. I'll try it tonight.
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

Yeah the timing issue is true, but on one of mine even correctly getting the threads to line up the very last 1/8 inch before it locked in was VERY tight, I mean using a C-Clamp to squeeze it close tight. No slag, no odd bumps on either surface of the shroud or receiver front.

I hope to hell I never have to open that one up. If I were to do it again, I would have done some fine file work. That receiver was Duracoated and perhaps the thin layer on the front was enough to cause the issue. Remember these are not matching kits, so things will not always go together smoothly.
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

www.Prussia.us wrote: I hope to hell I never have to open that one up.
Uh......how do you clean the bbl if you dont open the shroud and pull the bbl out?
rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

ScottD wrote:
www.Prussia.us wrote: I hope to hell I never have to open that one up.
Uh......how do you clean the bbl if you dont open the shroud and pull the bbl out?
I'm sure he would just Pull the bolt out and clean from the muzzle through with a cotton patch... spray cleaners will also do the trick but I agree its easyer to just fit it correctly I would remove that finish and get it to hinge again ...
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

Eventually that is the plan Rocco, but I am not looking forward to it :shock:

ScottD you are right it is not ideal :oops:

I have not gotten that one up to the firing line yet and probably will not get the chance until spring. A good friend is reloading me a bunch of non-corrosive 8mm he has the formula down it is all he uses, he made me a batch several years ago which worked in my SA-42 and the other SA-34 I had (but had to sell :( ) so for now cleaning corrosive powder will be less the worry, just doing routine cleaning is all that will be needed, which can be accomplished and the barrel is in great shape.

Firing non-corrosive ammo has spoiled me, I would rather shoot less rounds and not have to stress about the meticulous washing afterwards and the trepidation if I were getting everything clean enough, I hated that, I would obsess over it, and it marred the whole experience. I know it sounds stupid, but an SA 34 is really more fun to have, and know it can fire, than shoot anyway especially given the trigger-pull. Now the 1919a4, that is smooth :D
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

I never stress over corrosive ammo. I wipe everything down with ammonia first and then clean it as usual. The BBL shroud issue should be a quick fix, remove the Duracoat for starters. If its still that tight afterwords, there is an issue. Good luck opening it again!
rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

ScottD wrote:I never stress over corrosive ammo. I wipe everything down with ammonia first and then clean it as usual. The BBL shroud issue should be a quick fix, remove the Duracoat for starters. If its still that tight afterwords, there is an issue. Good luck opening it again!

I just use windex then air from the air compressor then WD-40 its worked for me all the past 20+ years