Trigger bar not pushing sear? Suggestions?

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
ScottD
Major
Major

Trigger bar not pushing sear? Suggestions?

Post by ScottD »

I installed everything today and found that when the trigger bar pushes down on the sear, it just barely moves it. The sear depresses, but not enough to let the firing pin drop. It just needs an extra few thousandths to drop. IIRC, someone else here had this same problem and wound up making there own sear?? It seems like im just a few thousandths too short! Any input?
My soultion for everything "Get a bigger hammer or larger caliber!"
ScottD
Major
Major

Re: Trigger bar not pushing sear? Suggestions?

Post by ScottD »

Ah, nevermind. I just made my own sear......
mdm2

Post by mdm2 »

did you clear the back of the bolt carrier a little, it gives the trigger bar more movement it is on the prints just was a little unclear for me what they where asking for,also mine started missing the sear after the front of the sear got eaten from being so soft, my new sear and searring are both hard they sent me, TNW is real easy to work with nice people
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

I hardened my home made sear by heating it cherry red, oil bath and 400' oven for 20 mins. Still, I expect it to self destruct after a few hundred rounds. I cleared the carrier with the proper radius cuts. I think that .005 here and there eventually stacked up and made havoc with my sear.
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

ARGHHH!!!! My new sear worked but I found another problem. I went to test the semi auto function of the weapon....pull trigger, HOLD trigger, cycle gun and check for sear reset. The bolt wont even retract with the trigger being held. My new sear rests too low on the trigger gate and wont allow the bolt to move back when the trigger is held. Glad I did this function test or I would have ripped apart several expensive parts on initial firing! Back to the drawing board.................
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

Scott,

Thanks for this information, the only way we learn is trial and error. And your trials are helpful, hopefully they become more fruitful. :)
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
ChrisPCook
Oberst
Oberst

Post by ChrisPCook »

I was a tad long on my reweld, not by much, but enough that the "trigger bar", "trip lever", whatever you want to call it....wasn't making enough contact to trip the bolt. So, I made a longer trip lever. It works with tripping the bolt and firing off primered brass, but I want to have it done right, and heat treated, so I'm planning on taking this to get it machined "properly", and heat treated, with some spares made up as well. Here's what I did, Chris....
Attachments
P1030200.JPG
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

Ill be making mine today. What really stinks is I cant find any .200 bar stock so I loose an evening milling down 1/4 steel key stock on my drill press! How short was your sear? Mine was only a few thous off. A beer can shim was enough for testing!