Building a 1917a1 semi auto

1919A4, M60, Rifles, Pistols
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Building a 1917a1 semi auto

Post by 42rocker »

Well I have been working on parts for the last few weeks and thought it was time to finally build a 1917a1.

Goal to have the 1917a1 build and ready to shoot at my "Builders and belt fed shoot" on the Sunday after Thanksgiving, Nov 25th, 2018. Can I do it???? Think so. Lets see if I can get it done.

Need to finish picking a few parts yet. As I'm not willing to pony out any more money than I need to I'm going to have to weld up a few holes on the left side plate. Still need to order rivets and a semi trigger.
Please check out the pics as to what I'm starting with. As I'm not willing to spend the needed money to buy a great blacksheep front end I'm going to use a 1928 front end that I own.

What do you think of my start or what are you building?

Later 42rocker

box parts - need to think about what I'm going to use on the left side plate.
1917a1 1.jpg
1917a1 2.jpg
1917a1 3.jpg
I need to think about the inside parts
Westinghouse Parts
west.jpg
west2.jpg
Remington Parts
rem.jpg
rem2.jpg
RIA Parts
ria.jpg
ria 2.jpg
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Building a 1917a1 semi auto

Post by 42rocker »

Just got my 70% semi auto right side plate in.THANKS to April at KMP. Also Big THANKS to Tom at KMP.
KMP sells good stuff and helps out the hobby.

http://karmametalproducts.com/KMP/index.htm

NEW WEBSITE

http://www.kmpclassicarms.com/1919.html

Why did I go 70% semi auto rsp, because I'm going to engrave the rsp in the old style location. As my wife and I own an engraver we can do that on a personal build. Not for resale that is.
Also I guess I should state that after more than one or two talks with friends I'm going to do an RIA 1917a1 build. Going to take a 1919a4 RIA bottom plate with it's still attached left side plate and remove the rear sight holder and fill the three rivet holes in with rivets. Talked about welding the holes shut but after Tom/KMP and Lucky#13 and I talked about how parking would go better with pressed in rivets, going to do the pressed rivets route.
Also thought about using a new left side plate but the last run that KMP did has the rear sight holes. I understand that the next run will not have those holes drilled out so they can be used for 1917a1 builds.
Also got in my semi auto trigger and sear from KMP.
Hope to get some time this weekend to work on a few things.

Later 42rocker
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Well ran out of time and money. Now the plans are to get it ready for my March 24th, 2019, Sunday shoot.
Need to have the bolt fitted for the KMP sear and then get a few o-rings and finish the project up sometime. For sure this time by the next shoot.

***** 10/23/2020 update or the next shoot or the next one someday.

Later 42rocker
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Well I stop and I start. Got the parts out again and I'm starting to work on them again.
Worked on LIFE and then cleaned the garage some. Bought a new lathe. But on with the build talk.

Had my bolt cut. Received semi auto trigger and sear from KMP see link about post. Sat home and carefully fitted the sear to the bolt. Slides great after a little work.
Getting to work on the Engraving machine next. Need to engrave the right side plate and then finish it.
Still thinking about what to do with left side plate. Buy a new one or rivet up the holes of the old one.
Reviewing way to much. Need to get to garage and work more.

Stay Safe

Later 42rocker
KarlT
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by KarlT »

Trying to build my post count :lol:

You're on the wrong board if you need advice. I'll give some any way. Assuming you just got over size rivet holes, maybe drilled wrong etc., it works really well to just weld fill in the rivet hole and then drill the rivet hole back out. On my M2HB build, had trouble with very hard spots making the drill want to wonder off target. Solution was use a carbide 90 degree mill drill and do it in the milling machine.

later

karl
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Karl
First Thanks for your board back up help. A great sharing of backup info. Thanks.

I like posting here on this site. Help? Well have Lucky#13 and toolman on speed dial. Can always post for more on 1919a4 if I want to. Had a problem with a few troll like folks over there a few years ago, what can I say.

The hole filling would be to fill in the left plate sight bracket rivet holes. Happy to say no misplaced or over sized rivet holes that I know of on my stuff, yet. Still thinking about a new left side plate.

I know where there are some new side plates for 1917a1 builds. Thinking, thinking.

Well still picking parts at this time. Also a few minutes were used in getting the garage ready for another project. Also a few on a Bren jig.

Stay Safe

Later 42rocker