blank adapting the mg42/m53/mg1-3

Blanking adapting the MG42, MG3 and MG34
junglewalk
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

It did well..

Post by junglewalk »

I finally got back on here, and want to tell you guys interested in using these guns for blanks, that it worked great!...i only wound up missing the nut on the rear screw of the recoperator .....I had to feed the gun myself as i fired it, and any stoppages were mostly caused by the weight of the belt when i let go....
We all know about the weak Austrian blanks, but I must tell you they were loud enough in the woods and i did have a lip of flame out front. Between 600-700 blanks were fired, and I occasionally sprayed lube on the bolt/mechanism, and Pam on the blank adaptor nozzle.
I was so happy with it, I think I will be using it for most battles from now on.....Was great!...Thanks Gordie K, and Pirate!....jw......10th Kp, GD
Attachments
MG-42 in position during break in fighting.....
MG-42 in position during break in fighting.....
mg42 trenches 15sep06.jpg (28.06 KiB) Viewed 4147 times
Beautiful women are like well built machineguns: Some should just be looked at, and left alone, while others were built to get hot.
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by TOM R »

congrats on the succesful blank conversion :D
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

FOR M60 GOTO http://WWW.M60MG.COM
nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
omegant

Post by omegant »

Well I suppose this is the place for my question, I reacently bought a mg53, the buffer seems to narrow for a bullet (is just for exposition any way, just wondering), it has some letters: za man mijniciju, bez zrna( I went to a sebian translator and it says:"after man munition, devoid granular").

the hole is more or less 5mm diameter (0,197 inch aprox).Is 46,6 mm tall( 1,835 inch) and 33, 78mm from the base to the first shoulder ( 1,330 inch)

so i suposse is for blank firing, but not sure; anybody knows something about this?

Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

Appears to be the type of Booster-Cup/"Nozzzle" for use with "wood-tipped-Blanks".. As I can not see any threads inside the smaller muzzle-opening so it also appears to be the type that can not be "adjusted" with the change of different size restrictors.

Let me know if you decide to sell it as I do not have one in my Blank-Adaptor collection for references.

Regards, RichardS.
Blanksguy2001@chartermi.net
blckwlfny
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

lube

Post by blckwlfny »

I just got my Sa 42 up and running, I heve one of the blank adapters from junglewalk (THANKS!) When trying it out, how do I know if the hole is too big/small, or the blanks are too strong/weak?
Also, is there a reason why people are not lubing the '42 with lithium grease?
thanks
John
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

blckwlfny,
Most of this will depend on what Blanks you are using.....be they "home-made" 8x57mm Blanks, "surplus" 7.62x51mmNATO/.308 Blanks, or one of the many "Blank-Vendors" Blanks such as myself or Joe Swanson, and the type of Blank-Firing "system" you are trying to set up/use. Almost all can be made to work.....some will be just louder than others.

I would guess that the starting point (as there are two ways to Blank-Adapt the MG42) and many different "Blanks" available......why don't we start this out by "you" telling "us" what you have at this point.
First, tell us (an mayube photos would help on the Blank-Adaptor or 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel):

1: "Model" gun (FA-MG42 or semi-only SA42) and Caliber:
7.62x51mmNATO/.308 or 8x57mm.

2: Blank-Firing System w/photo:

3: What BFA Hole-Size/Restriction is presently in the Booster-Cup/"Nozzle", or in the muzzle of your 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel:
(Note: If you don't know what I am asking about....please go back and review the photos we have submitted in this thread earlier).

4: Blanks you are trying to use and where you got/purchased them:
You can't mix them up and use them....need to keep them separated, and tell us what you have. If they can from a particular Blank-Manufacturer......ask him what BFA Hole-Size is recommended.

5: What modifications or part did you change out in your gun ?....(IE: Feed-Tray, Top-Cover, etc.).

6: OAL (length) of your Barrel-Bearing:

Once you give us a little more information, we can then help you out more.
Note: The best/LOUDEST "system" will always be the one that uses the least pressure to operate......it allows more noise out the front. The best system is the 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel with the Booster-Cup removed as it is not required. The only problem with the 2-pcs. system is that it requires more $$$$ to make up a 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel system than to make a Blank-Firing Booster-Cup/"Nozzle". The 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel-System is louder and is more adjustable over the span of many different Blank-Loadings.
If you doubt this, please ask Phil Stout, and other reenactors using these Blank-Firing systems in the field.

Last, Trouble-shooting is the same as with the "live-firing" gun of the same "model/caliber"......the only exceptions are in some of the adjustments, parts-swaping, and required parts to make the gun run better/more reliably.

Regards, RichardS in MI.
reb62

Question about blank test firing?

Post by reb62 »

Greetings fellow blank firing/reenactors,

I have a quetion about blank test firing.

I have found myself in need of firing blanks for testing purposes without the hassel of having to go to the range everytime I try a new blank firing modification, be it barrel, feed tray, etc. Has anyone here come up with a simple home made sound dampening system to test fire blanks perhaps in your garage/back yard, keeping in mind not to disturb any neighbors if you happen to be one that has them.......lol.

I have been entertaining a 55 gal drum on it's side, lined with some sort of sound dampening insulation with a barrel insertion hole in one end. The rest is up for discusssion.
reb62

Re: blank adapted feed trays?

Post by reb62 »

Another question about blank adapting?

I would like to see other ideas/photos of modified feed trays for feeding blanks be it .308 and or 8 mm knowing that most blanks are somewhat shorter that the equivelent live round.
Blanksguy
General
General

Re: blank adapting the mg42/m53/mg1-3

Post by Blanksguy »

reb62,
Get yourself a large cardboard-box like a large-TV-Box....or go to U-Haul and buy a large "double-thickness" box to fire into the open end.
Empty 55-gal. brum will work....but then you have the thing just sitting around unless you store yard-tools in it.

Try firing in your garage with hearing-protection and doors-closed.
Alternate areas could be basement.........or a nearby range with orwners prior permission. Some indoor-ranges will let you fire Blanks on their "Pistol-Ranges"..."BUT" ask the owner first and show him the Blanks and that you are a "reenactor" working up loadings for your gun.

As for the modified feed-trays........I thought that we had these posted here (?)......you may want to contact a "MODERATOR"........or the owner of the Board as these keep disappearing.....and I have not pulled any off of the Board.

Feed-tray photos will be posted below when the "MODERATORS" allow me to repost them here.

Regards, RichardS in MI.
drooling idiot
General
General

Post by drooling idiot »

Blanksguy wrote: As for the modified feed-trays........I thought that we had these posted here (?) I have not pulled any off of the Board.
we frequently lose pictures as do all forums, they get lost in "upgrades" or just fade into the ether over time. We recommend storing important picture in a picture hosting site whose software is designed for that purpose and link it here.
This preserves the pictures and saves the forum on operating costs. This is important because it seems like many of the gun forums i frequent have become more and more commercial oriented and dependent on money coming in from vendors. I like that were not a business here and can be 100% free to voice our opinions about all the products we see for sale. Its the members voluntary contributions of money and knowledge that have kept us on-line and made this a place worth visiting.
Blanksguy wrote:Feed-tray photos will be posted below when the "MODERATORS" allow me to repost them here.
you should have no issue posting pics, below is one I've posted using member "board permission" setting just like yours. It works and so should yours.
Attachments
test pic
test pic
"good , bad, .....I'm the man with the gun."

Its amazing anything works right around here with a bunch of
over-age juvenile delinquents running the place.
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

reb62,
Is this a photo of the modified MG-34 feed-tray that you are looking for (?).

Regards, RichardS in MI.
PS: Thanks for the help "DI".
Attachments
MG34-BFA-FeedTray-6.jpg
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Hey!!-You swiped that picture from DA's website! I recognized it-I swiped it too! Did you see him in that little red dress? Cute pic. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
reb62

Post by reb62 »

I've never seen that particular feed tray for the MG34 that you have shown, though that is the end result that I am attmpting to achieve. To blank fire my MG34 & MG42. I need to modify one each feed trays for both.

I thought removing the adapter piece that comes on some 8mm feed trays that were converted to .308 would be great to relocate to a shorter position to better guide blank ammunition.

The removal of this piece would not destroy the feed tray for it was originaly 8mm to begin with and I build SA 8mm builds anyway so that works good for me.

See pic below for the feed tray that I was refering to:
Attachments
8 mm FT modified to .308.JPG
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Blanksguy-is the 34 feedtray you showed an issue tray? Does the front of the shehh go under the extra metal piece in front? And do you have a side pic of this? Thanks a lot! ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

Hi Bil,
I don't see how I could "swipe" that photo.....as I am the one who not only took the original-photo.....but made the modified feed-tray in that photo for my MG34.
I have sent it out to a lot of reenactors in helping them to Blank-Adapt their MG34/SA34...........maybe "DA" is saying that it is his (?)......or did you ask (?).

The MG34 modified feed-tray is not an issue item....but was made by machining out a piece of steel and then "tac-welding" it onto the feed-tray. It helps guide the shorter blanks and keep the front/nose of the blank down during feeding.
A note about the MG34 is that during feeding.....the blanks will try to raise-up at the front and will be stopped on the front/top of the cut-out on the feed-tray. All this was covered on the five-page Blank-Adapting-Sheets that the Owner (Salt6) put on this web-page for me to help members wanting to Blank-Adapt their MG34 or MG42.
This is located at the top of the Index-page.....at "FAQ".

On the MG42.....the long cartridge-depressor guides the Blanks (and live ammo) down and towards the chamber........so the feed-tray "spacer" is usually not required.
Try using your SA42/MG42 with standard 8x57mm top-cover and standard 8x57mm feed-tray..........and most will feed the shorter blanks reliably.

Best/"loudest" Blank-Adapting method seems to be the 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel and the removal of the Booster-Cup/"Nozzle" for more noise. Although I have seen other methods to Blank-Adapt these weapons.

Let me know if you have other questions after reading those 5-pages on Blank-Adapting, and I will try to help.
Regards, RichardS in MI.
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Blanks-your post got in between mine and DI's-I was refering to his pic of DA's 42. :oops: Sorry for the confusion,and thanks for the answer! :D ---bil
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

Bil,
I have other photos of that MG34 Feed-Tray-Spacer that I made......but all of the information is contained in the pdf.-file that "TC" posted for us in the other thread/sticky that he started.

Let me know which angle photo of the spacer that you need....and yes, the blanks are guided under that spacer.

Regards, RichardS in MI.
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

I checked the pdf-it answered all the questions.Very nice-thanks. ---bil
reb62

Post by reb62 »

Blanksguy,

I'll second the request to post any other views of your 34 blank feed tray and I'm having difficulty opening the PDF file in the stickies section.

Some detialed photos would be great.

Just this afternoon I tried out my original 2-piece blank firing barrel in my TNW SA 34 with no other modification and made no changes to the stock booster pieces. Fired 50 rds through it and it ROCKED! :D

I can certainly see why blanksguy's modified feed tray would be the way to go, for out of the 50 rds I must hav had 4 or 5 reds get bent at the neck upon feeding. Nonetheless they never made it into the barrel and were discarded.
Gurowski

Post by Gurowski »

reb62 wrote:be the way to go, for out of the 50 rds I must hav had 4 or 5 reds get bent at the neck upon feeding. Nonetheless they never made it into the barrel and were discarded.
I have a similar problem with my M53.
What causes the blanks to get a bent neck?
What are they hitting, or being hit on?

Steve