blank adapting the mg42/m53/mg1-3

Blanking adapting the MG42, MG3 and MG34
Styggo

Post by Styggo »

Great Blanksguy

I measured the Bolt and searched the buffer for a letter.

The bolts I have are both 550-560 gram
The M53 bolt has a different ejector rod than the MG3 ejector rod.
Otherwise they look very much the same.

The letter I found on the buffer is probably a "N" but, it could also be cyrilic saying "R"...Guys, thats the problem getting older...the eyes, the eyes....probably too much sex....NOT!

A friend of mine can have a bearing that is 50mm long, I will check that ASAP

/Styggo
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

styggo,
The standard-bolts (550-560) are interchangeable. The long "ejector-rod"....or what some people call a "spoon" is also interchangable......do not worry about these parts.

The Buffer for the standard rate-of-fire (1,100-1,300 RPM) will look like a very heavy spring on the end that contacts the rear of the bolt.........the "slower" buffer assembly wil look like it has a short solid section instead of a spring.

The "eyes" are another MG42 related problem........Fast Guns (MG42) and fast good-looking women......I think this may be your "eye-problem"?.....never older-age !

Be safe, RichardS.
Blanksguy2001@chartermi.net
PS: Go back and work with the "Booster-end" of your MG42/M53/MG3....there it the pressure drop problem.
kdragon

Post by kdragon »

Blanksguy, I used a #31 size drill in the allen plug for the booster cup and live .308 barrel. I didn't need to cut the recoil spring. I have to wait for the austrian blanks to arrive and that will take at least 3 weeks beforre I get it. I will try that next. kdragon
Styggo

Post by Styggo »

Blanksguy wrote:styggo,

PS: Go back and work with the "Booster-end" of your MG42/M53/MG3....there it the pressure drop problem.
Just like on old men like me...a preasure problem.....

Im on it, im on it...
I will chack with some peopleif they have a 50mm bearing.....

uuuuh, that re-enactment weekend is soon here...10-12 of february.,...hurry hurry...

Blanksguy, I am really happy for the help you have provided. Why dont you contact me and come over for an re-enactment event in summer or fall?
Just bring your WWII russian geman or american uniform, and ill borrow you my BAR, MP28 or DP...

/Styggo
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

kdragon,
That #31 drill-size will equal .120" ...so that would go along with some of the other testing that I have done. I believe you will find that when using those Austrian 7.62x51mmNATO/.308 Blanks (the boxes that I have received have them marked as "L31A1") that they are weaker than the US LC 7.62x51mmNATO Blanks for the M60/M14 rifles. Also note that LC is still producing those same 7.62x51mmNATO Blanks but as of about 1990, head-stamps they now have a "star-crimp" instead of the rolled-edge/red-cardboard-disc..

My "old-testing-data" with my FA "CRA" MG42 using a 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel restricted in the muzzle (front half of the blank-barrel), required me to drop the BFA Hole-Size in my muzzle to .110"......and that was a little slow.... .100" helped. I will try to get some time this week-end and drop in a live 7.62x51mmNATO chambered barrel and use a restricted "Booster-Cup" and see what the results are........I will also test the two diferent length Barrel-Bearings as this does effect Blank-Adapting restrictions when using a "live"/one-pcs. Barrel. I will post some results when completed.....as it looks like the .308 Austrian and British Blanks on the market now (although a little on the weak side) are a cheap alternative when firing Blanks.

styggo,
Thank you for the offer. If I didn't have to rebuild three Harley-Davidson Motorcycle engines now for spring.....I would really think about the offer....but the late summer/fall is an option. I reenact WWII German Fallschirmjager.

On a side note.....a possible option for you is to look for "US" 7.62x51mmNATO Blanks being sold as "surplus" over in Poland and the three smaller countries next to Russia.........the US gave away many M14 rifles and hundreds of thousands of rounds of live ammunition (and Blanks) to some of these countries when the old Soviet-Union fee apart. Maybe you can find some cheaper to use at a reenactment? Those and possibly the weaker British and Austrian 7.62x51mmNATO Blanks as "surplus".........maybe another reenactor can bring them to your reenactment?

Last option would be for me to teach you how to make good blanks for your MG42/M53/MG3 from whatever reloading-components you have near you in Sweden? It is a little work.....but over the last 17-18 years, I have made over 500,000 Blanks for reenactors.....it is easy and safe. Most of the MG42 and MG34 Blanks that we make are reformed from fired 30/06 brass.....but any brass that has the same case-head diameter and about 2.5" (or about 63mm) long can be made into blanks for your MG42. Most of what we fire is in the 8x57mm caliber as it is a little easier to form the brass.........and average costs in the US to make these is $.05 for fired-brass, about $.02 for new-Primer, and about $.02 for the new-powder. A total of about $.09-$.10 each not counting the costs for a reloading-press, reloading-dies, and some cleaning supplies.......mostly just some "time" making them.

Another side-note is that threr are companies in England that make Blanks for reenactors....but are expensive. Look up:
http://www.henrykrank.com ...then when his web-page comes up....look under "Privi Partizan" for compoenets and Blanks. He is in England.

Last ideas.....have you thought about making a 2-pcs. Blank Barrel Assembly from two old MG42 Barrels? If it is legal to ship barrels to Swedan (??) I have a friend that can make up an MG42 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel-Assembly with two differnt caliber rear-sections. One in 8x57mm and the other in 7.62x51mmNATO.....all you do then is change the allen-set-screw inside the muzzle for differnt Blanks. (Note: I do not know if this would be useable with those Swedish 7.62x51mmNATO Wood-Tip Blanks......we/you would have to do some testing.).

But these are just some ideas for you to think about during your "free-time".
Be safe, RichardS.
Styggo

Post by Styggo »

Thanks Blanksguy, I will check things out in your proposed order.

I have the feeling though that if I put as many MG3 special things back in the gun it will eventually work as it should.

/Styggo
Styggo

Post by Styggo »

Blanksguy!

I got a 50mm bearing yesterday and put it all together. I also tightened the BFA a bit more.
However, when I tried it, It didnt feed the case into the barrel correcttly...

Stupid me had put the Bolt head upside down.... Porbably im not the first...or the last.
I fixed it and tried once more....It worked just .....PERFECT!

Now my MG42 is running just like a song, with a speed around 1000 rounds/min

However, there were quite some pieces to change in order to get it to work...

Have you ever heard the Cadilac song with Johnny Cash?....Well if you did, you know what I speak about....

"Its a 42-43-44-45-46-47-48-49-50-51-52-53 MG42".....:)

Thank you for all help !!

/A very glad Styggo
azdskin

My MG42 BFA

Post by azdskin »

I took my all original C&R MG42 out for a weekend of reenacting. I changed the bolt assy and booster cone out for MG3 parts from Robert RTG in AZ. The 42 ran 100% just as it does with live ammo. The MG3 BFA does not have any vent hole in the front of the unit. I thought that this would be an issue but it was not. I found that if I unscrew the BFA I can slow the rate of fire down. Does anyone here have any experiance with the MG3 BFA's? I am using Joe Swanson's motion picture blanks and they seem to be of high quality.

Last edited by azdskin on Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

azdskin,
Great shot ..........but for a "WWII" German portrayed-photos I would lose the MG3 Booster/Blank-Adaptor and go with the MG42 flash-hider. Get yourself a 2-pcs. MG42 Blank-Barrel with the appropriate chambering for the Blanks that you would like to use. It will be louder and fire faster as less barrel-weight to push to the rear allows you a larger BFA Hole-Size/restriction at the muzzle-end.

On the MG3 Blank-Adaptor......I have a couple coming in from Germany for testing and review. Same model as in your photo.....once received they will be tested and results posted.

On a side note.....I would never un-screw your blank-adaptor "some" to change RPM. It may come loose...and/or damage the threads on the end of your receiver during firing.

Have fun out in the "trenches", RichardS.
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

I thought that I would go in and add some photos of the different "systems" and parts used in Blank-Adapting the MG42/MG1/MG3 as shown below.

Maybe one of the "vendors" on the Board would like to do a "group-buy" of the 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel-Assemblies for Board-Members?

Regards, RichardS.
Attachments
MG42-BFA-5.jpg
MG42-BFA-5.jpg (41.29 KiB) Viewed 4269 times
MG42-BFA-4.jpg
MG42-BFA-4.jpg (35.98 KiB) Viewed 4269 times
MG42-BFA-3.jpg
MG42-BFA-3.jpg (38.71 KiB) Viewed 4276 times
junglewalk
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

I' m with you....

Post by junglewalk »

Count me in on those blank barrel assemblies :lol:

(Patton Museum Battle/Demo for Memorial day week-end is cancelled this year. Seems there is a prblem at the top of the chain of cmd of the Museum structure).....bob h
Beautiful women are like well built machineguns: Some should just be looked at, and left alone, while others were built to get hot.
kdragon

Post by kdragon »

you can count me in too for a 2 piece blank firing assy. kdragon.
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

Guys.......I put that part of the "Thread" up as a remark .....and hope that one of the "barrel-makers"....or another vendor will see the thread and start asking about making these.

I can help and provide him (the selected "Barrel-Maker" that comes in with the lowest costs to our Board) with the required information "and" any assistance to Board-Members in helping to Blank-Adapt the MG42 or MG34 is free for the information....and help in trouble-shooting problem guns.

Presently, we are only "throwing" this out there for them to see the information...not taking a count for future sale......I am pretty-sure that he will require a minimum of two-used Barrel with good barrel-extensions for use in making these. (IE: 2 for MG42 and 2 for MG34....one for 8x57mm and the second for 7.62x51mmNATO/.308).

Regards, RichardS.
blckwlfny
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by blckwlfny »

just sent you an email...sorry, I confused your string with the info off of salt6 website
I think that the 2 peice barrel might be too pricey for me. don you know where i can get a Booster cone for blanks. or do they just not work?

thanks again
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

blckwlfny,
I received your e-mails.......and from what you are telling me:

....you want to fire .308 Blanks (7.62x51mmNATO) of British/Austrian manufacture due to being cheaper for "reenacting"..........and you want to stay away from the 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel-Assembly due to costs.......correct?

With these requirements.....the only thing that you can do is buy/have made a Blank-Firing Booster-Cup/"Nozzle" and use a live .308 barrel. You should be able to find someone to make the Blank-Firing Booster-Cup/"Nozzle" for your MG42/SA42 by putting a WTB Ad in the ad-section below.
It will work in the MG42/SA42......."BUT"....it will not fire as fast nor as loud as you would like it to for reenacting WWII German. This will be due to the "underpowered" .308 Blanks that you have indicated to me that you would like to use.

The only way to use those underpowered/cheap .308 British/Austrian Blanks and still have any level of noise is with that 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel-Assembly.

If you doubt this....please contact Philip-Stout (Philip has a 07/SOT license and builds MG42s along with other Post-86 Dealer-Samples).....he just got done trying my information in an MG42 with those Blanks and it works. He may also have the time to make the Blank-Firing Booster-Cup/"Nozzle" (and/or 2-pcs. Blank-Firing Barrel-Assemblies) from the information contained on this Board or from what I have provided to him.

Regards,RichardS.
kdragon

Post by kdragon »

Richard just read your thread on the austrian blanks. Who's philip stout and how can we contact him? How much do think a 2 piece blank firing setup will cost? Kdragon
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

He has a web-page at:

http://www.stoutguns.com

....and I believe that he has a contact e-mail address or phone-number from there. He has not "advertised" that he would make these for sale.....you will have to ask him.
Also, he will probably need at least one used barrel for the barrel-extension to make up a 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel.....maybe a second? Costs?......you will have to ask him if he has the time, etc. for a project like this.

Regards, RichardS.
blckwlfny
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

2 peice barrel

Post by blckwlfny »

hey blanks guy,

do you know who manufactures the two peice barrels in .308, and do you know if he needs the barrels form the buyer?

thanks
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

2-pcs Blank-Barrels...........(for MG42 or MG34).......

The last 2-pcs. Blank-Barrels that I purchased were made through Duffy's Gun Room in Sparks, Maryland. POC for these was a Wilhelm Helfrich (owner). Costs ?...I do not recall, but I know that the "quality" was there and they were adjustable for different Blanks. Do a "search" on the "web" and Duffy's Gun Room should come up with their web-page address and e-mail/contact information.

Another POC might be Philip Stout (who I mentioned it the reply above)......you might be able to talk him into making these in .308.....or 8x57mm.......or both with one front section. Costs ?.....again, you will need to contact Philip about that.

Either of these individuals will probable want old barrels to make these 2-pcs. Blank-Barrels from so that they have the Barrel-Extensions to work with. ....along with $$$.

IMPORTANT: Insure that the forward section does have a "flair" at the rear to insure that it does not move forward when firing blanks.

Regards, RichardS.
junglewalk
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Blank adaptor.........

Post by junglewalk »

:lol: Well gentlemen, this friday and saturday, in the trenches by Marion,Ky, (Eastern Front) my 42-sa will be tested to the max.....Russian hordes will be charging our trench positions all day long.... :lol: ...
My son made me a blank adaptor as 'blanksguy' has talked about..It basically the same dementions as the 'nozzle', except it has a closed in bottom, and a 1/8th inch exit hole at top.........this is just right for the weaker Austrian blanks that are all over........
i tested it with a bunch of lubed belts, and 'Pirate's hammer kept hammering away.....
When i return, I'll let you'al know how the gun stood up to the intense fighting on der Russian front!!!!\
(BTW, my assistant gunner and I will have loaded 98ks next to us, besides pistols, in the event I am let down,ha)...bob h
Beautiful women are like well built machineguns: Some should just be looked at, and left alone, while others were built to get hot.