Holy Smokes '34 receivers for $75

Anything MG34 related.
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Holy Smokes '34 receivers for $75

Post by www.Prussia.us »

Okay guys, who knows what the buffer threads look like or if all the front pieces are as intact as the picture, but $75 for a complete '34 receiver is insane. Not that long ago on GB one like the picture would easily bring $275-$325. I wonder if TNW just dumped some of their receiver inventory to keep the lights on???????

https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_in ... ts_id/1309
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
cipollinaj
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Re: Holy Smokes '34 receivers for $75

Post by cipollinaj »

Hi
Thanks. I ordered one.
Can't really go wrong for $75.00
Their site says you cant hand select
so don't really know if matches their picture.
FKpt.Fritz
Major
Major

Post by FKpt.Fritz »

are these torched to hell?
rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

They look it but who knows what you'll actually get... may be something nice when it arrives :?
FKpt.Fritz
Major
Major

Post by FKpt.Fritz »

hell with it. i got one already. plus i just spent $400 on a luftwaffe uniform and the $400 DSHK kit i kept. ill pass for now.
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

Guys! Watch these receivers. They look EXACTLY like my first '34 receiver...the receiver stub is cut too close to be rewelded and whats worse is they are cut right thru the safety lever area. This is a citical area and almost impossible to reweld. (Pirate took one look at mine and said the cut thru safety area doomed it). Ive been looking at these receivers too, but I dont think they will be more than dummy guns or donor parts.
My soultion for everything "Get a bigger hammer or larger caliber!"
ChrisPCook
Oberst
Oberst

Post by ChrisPCook »

ScottD wrote:Guys! Watch these receivers. They look EXACTLY like my first '34 receiver...the receiver stub is cut too close to be rewelded and whats worse is they are cut right thru the safety lever area. This is a citical area and almost impossible to reweld. (Pirate took one look at mine and said the cut thru safety area doomed it). Ive been looking at these receivers too, but I dont think they will be more than dummy guns or donor parts.
Good point, a cut through that center section is brutal, even if the safety area is intact any amount of warpage will cause the bolt to bind most likely at the ejector plate. I have personally experienced that. The long center sections at IMA are great for rewelds, not binding and no worries about that safety area issue. Chris...
ChrisPCook
Oberst
Oberst

Post by ChrisPCook »

I was going to post pix, but don't have the time...so here's the skinny on the four that just came in today in the mail....

Typical torching, but the locations are bad. Each one had a cut behind the barrel stub through the cam area. So, that will need to be rewelded to reconstruct the front end, and a lot of clean up needed to install the cam back in. I'm thinking that a round piece of copper shimmed into fit might make a good jig for this area, or at least a "backer" on the inside to set the form correct and cutdown on weld bleeding through the cracks that are being filled.

All four had the safety areas fully intact and not cut through. The areas where the ejector plates sit had weld in the back area....obviously no ejector plates.

As far the rear. Two were cut well forward of the threads. One was cut just slightly into the threads on the bottom, and one was cut heavily back into the threads.

Can't go wrong for 75$, if you are buying for one of three reasons. 1) stocking up, no more coming, price only goes up. 2) Spare sections to complete a partial receiver you already have. 3) Dummy gun option?

Or, if you have lots of time on your hands, and you have better tools and skills then most, then go for it...it could probably be brought back to a semi build.

Chris...
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

Chris,

Thanks for the update. Granted you are kind of like MacGyver with this stuff and your skills are quite praise-worthy, but that was a great review provided.

The cut through the barrel stud area is too brutal for most. However a lucky pick from Apex and a nice rear section from IMA may make a nice combination for someone with much lesser skills, like myself :D, to try and weld one up again. My first attempt made a receiver about as straight as Little Richard. :lol: :lol:
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
ChrisPCook
Oberst
Oberst

Post by ChrisPCook »

www.Prussia.us wrote:Chris,

My first attempt made a receiver about as straight as Little Richard. :lol: :lol:
Not that the receiver is funny, but that comment killed me, that's some good stuff! :lol: :lol: