Where to get roll pins????

Anything MG34 related.
mp44dude
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Where to get roll pins????

Post by mp44dude »

Gruppe,

Does anyone ave a good conection for roll pins needed on the mg34.

greg
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: Where to get roll pins????

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

Do you mean roll pins which are shapes like a piece of rolled sheet metal like the ones you can find at the hardware store or the German style pins likethe ones used in MP-40's which have a solid shank and are just hollowed at the very ends, so you can swell them into place with a prick punch? I can make the solid German pins on the lathe.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

Is there a source for the latter of the two?
My soultion for everything "Get a bigger hammer or larger caliber!"
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Source? Not that I am aware of. The Nazis are certainly out of business.. :mrgreen:

Doesn't anyone MAKE anything anymore ?
:roll:
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

Make anything? Its a matter of resources. I live in an moderatly sized upstate NY city. My only options are Home Depot and Lowes for 'parts material'. That leaves me with the little bin they have called 'welding metals' (about 10 different assorted sizes of square stock) and the hardware roll out drawers which are a far cry from the selection Ace hardware stores had years ago. Its not like I can bring the gun in to see if something fits. Then there is a matter of tooling. This is a hobby for me, I dont have room for a lathe or a mill.....you would be mazed the parts Ive improvised with only a dremel.....So you see Darvis, not all of us have access to world class machinery and stuff. :swear:

I agree with you though, too many people rely on ready made parts, which just isnt an option seeing how the Nazis went out of business a few years back......
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

No government bailout for them-they were too soon! :? ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

ScottD wrote:Make anything? Its a matter of resources. I live in an moderately sized upstate NY city. My only options are Home Depot and Lowes for 'parts material'. That leaves me with the little bin they have called 'welding metals' (about 10 different assorted sizes of square stock) and the hardware roll out drawers which are a far cry from the selection Ace hardware stores had years ago. Its not like I can bring the gun in to see if something fits. Then there is a matter of tooling. This is a hobby for me, I dont have room for a lathe or a mill.....you would be mazed the parts Ive improvised with only a dremel.....So you see Darvis, not all of us have access to world class machinery and stuff. :swear:

I agree with you though, too many people rely on ready made parts, which just isnt an option seeing how the Nazis went out of business a few years back......
World class... :lol: Obviously you have not seen my shop. Quite humble as shops go, and the lathe is an old tired Atlas from 1951. Didn't mean to be snarky, but I figured you knew SOMEONE close by who had a basic lathe and could such a simple project as making a pin. Hell, if you sent me a pin to copy, I'd make you a couple more for free (you pay postage).
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

Dude, its tough up here in NY. Machine shops shy away from any small work, they downright refuse anything gun related. Gunsmiths are nonexistant (except for the guy who mounts scopes at Dicks sporting goods and Gander mountain). I had to use pennies and flattened copper pipe to back up my welding on my '42. (I later found out about onlinemetals.com, but I hate paying 10 bucks shipping for 8 bucks of product)

The Khyber pass has far more resources than this US city......
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

NY residents: MOVE. Go somewhere RATIONAL.

Send me an MG-34 pin and I'll copy it for you. Simple jobs are fun jobs
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Your first problem is telling them it is a gun part.It isn't,it is merely a part that can be used in a gun.As for parts being made,I have found that older machine shops,or bike shops,not dealerships,are the best places to get this kind of stuff made.Unless you can get someone like DA to help.Very nice of you,big guy! :D ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

DARIVS ARCHITECTVS wrote:NY residents: MOVE. Go somewhere RATIONAL.

Send me an MG-34 pin and I'll copy it for you. Simple jobs are fun jobs
I may take you up on that when I get a little closer to putting this gun all back together. Now stop telling me to move somewhere rational. I cant just pick up and move! Besides, Syracuse is a great town. Come for the weather, stay for the taxes. (You do of course pick up on my sarcastic undertones..... :? )
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

No problem big guy. Just PM me when you want to send me a sample pin and tell me how many spares you need.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
flemgunner
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by flemgunner »

Id be in for a few of those pins myself. No machine shop anywhere near me
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

If I'm going to spend several hours making pins for FREE, I'm not going make MASS QUANTITIES of them. And, only for those who NEED THEM. I'm not for making spares for people to stockpile. Please be reasonable.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
flemgunner
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by flemgunner »

No spares here man. I have to put my receiver together
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

No problem then...

I just need one to replicate.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
tomcatshaas
General
General

Post by tomcatshaas »

mp44dude wrote:Gruppe,

greg
greg,

If you are wanting to use roll pins, then find a fastenal near you
http://www.fastenal.com/web/home.ex

They are a great place. They have metric roll pins "spring pins". Also, they have a supply of drill rod if you want to make your own pins just like the originals. It's very easy to make your own pins. Just get the right size diameter drill rod. cut to size. The drill the ends. You
can get by with standard drill rod sizes if you can't find the metric drill rod.

I just used roll pins in my TNW build. Fastenal is also good for matching springs too.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

tomcatshaas wrote:

greg
greg,

They are a great place. They have metric roll pins "spring pins". Also, they have a supply of drill rod if you want to make your own pins just like the originals. It's very easy to make your own pins. Just get the right size diameter drill rod. cut to size. The drill the ends. You
can get by with standard drill rod sizes if you can't find the metric drill rod.

I just used roll pins in my TNW build. Fastenal is also good for matching springs too.

Isn't drill rod too hard, TC? The originals were low carbon steel, so you could stake the ends, weren't they?
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
tomcatshaas
General
General

Post by tomcatshaas »

DARIVS ARCHITECTVS wrote:
tomcatshaas wrote:

greg
greg,

Isn't drill rod too hard, TC? The originals were low carbon steel, so you could stake the ends, weren't they?

Oh, your right. :oops: Just use low carbon steel rod. anyways fastenal has that too. :mrgreen:
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Buying the correct diameter rod can save time turning a box nail on a lathe, and it will probably come out more even too.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury