OK boys, where do I start?

Anything MG34 related.
ScottD
Major
Major

OK boys, where do I start?

Post by ScottD »

Well after a 1919, a MG42, and a Bren, I emptied out my savings acount on a MG34 kit. Trust me, the price was unreal.......750 for the whole kit AND receiver. By the looks of the pics, the receiver lines right up. I should be getting it by the end of next week. My plan is to dummy up the receiver with a few tack welds and a section of rebar or pipe inside it while I gather funds for the semi build. Ive been all over the net gathering info on this build and Im not finding much other than whats on this site. I know this is gonna be 3x more expensive than my 42 so its gonna take me some time to gather the parts and farm out the work. So let me start with the questions....

1) Whats a receiver reweld cost now? I managed to weld my '42, but I know this 34 is a whole different creature and my HF gasless welder aint gonna cut it on this one.

2) Does TNW still sell the semi bolt parts? Anybody else?

3) Trigger mods?

4) General suggestions, tips or comments to help me avoid ruining this massive investment?
My soultion for everything "Get a bigger hammer or larger caliber!"
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Re: OK boys, where do I start?

Post by Bil »

Check with Pirate at Projectguns-he is active on this site and others.He is offering a reweld service for the 34s that is really a good deal.He also has great tutorials on his site for the do-it -yourself type,or just to see what is involved. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

ScottD wrote:Well after a 1919, a MG42, and a Bren, I emptied out my savings acount on a MG34 kit. Trust me, the price was unreal.......750 for the whole kit AND receiver. By the looks of the pics, the receiver lines right up. I should be getting it by the end of next week. My plan is to dummy up the receiver with a few tack welds and a section of rebar or pipe inside it while I gather funds for the semi build. Ive been all over the net gathering info on this build and Im not finding much other than whats on this site. I know this is gonna be 3x more expensive than my 42 so its gonna take me some time to gather the parts and farm out the work. So let me start with the questions....

1) Whats a receiver reweld cost now? I managed to weld my '42, but I know this 34 is a whole different creature and my HF gasless welder aint gonna cut it on this one.

2) Does TNW still sell the semi bolt parts? Anybody else?

3) Trigger mods?

4) General suggestions, tips or comments to help me avoid ruining this massive investment?

Do Not tac & install any rebar you will ruin that receiver :shock: the semi mods will cost you around $400.00 with the TNW parts
The re-weld if you cant do it will cost you around $600 or so, for around $1000.00 you can have it up & running & like bil said Pirate is the one to contact http://www.projectguns.com Tell him I sent ya :mrgreen:
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

Ive worked with Pirate several times before. He's a good guy. 600 bucks for a reweld? Doh! But then again back when people wanted 4-500 to weld up a '42 receiver, I complained. (Then I welded my 42 and realized what a chore it was and swore 'If I had to do it all over again, Id pay someone to weld it.....)

I cant wait to get started on this one. Winter is getting long in the tooth and if I dont keep myself busy Im gonna go crazy.
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

ScottD,

Bil and Rocco nailed it pretty good, I will just add my subtle nuance to the advice.

First, good for you taking the plunge with the '34; the TNW parts are $180 + $18 shipping that several ounce package via UPS, Pirate was running a special $200 to convert the grip and the bolt. If you have the skills and machinary look at the instructions, you may be able to do it and save some cash there, but it is not something you can just do with a dremel unless your skilled like the artist Michelangelo, and even then it would be difficult.

If the receiver is not butchered Piarte, again, was charging between $500-$600 to reweld. If you want to buy his jig it was under $200, problem is while in theory you could weld it yourself, after buying the jig, the material, and risk screwing it up, for about $250 more it can be done by Pirate at Project Guns and it will be pristine.

So just what Rocco said, you will be in for about another $1k, but money well spent.

At least Patterson actually gave us a good Senator to replace Hillary. The NRA gave her a 100% rating, and she is right an many other issues as well :D
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

If you have a good receiver without chunks missing,Pirate starts at 500.Please correct me if I am wrong,but I believe that includes the prep,i.e. he does the cutting to match the parts.At least that is what I would do if I was him-too much chance of a mess if you do your own.He had some pictures here of one he had to 'fix'.I have his jig,and with some help I am going to try my own reweld.On the other hand,I have 2 more receivers if I do mess up.[I will be very careful,no,they are not for sale] If Pirate was offering the reweld service before I bought the jig,I would have put the money towards his work instead.BTW,the jig is a real fine piece of machinery and I would recomend it to anyone that feels confident enough to do their own reweld.Some folks have the talent and skills for this,my jig has been used to do several.As you know,the 34 is a lot trickier than the 42/53,if you mess up,it is much harder to fix,if it is even possible.Good luck with your project! ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
bneer72
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by bneer72 »

Pirate just finished my receiver. He has been great to work with and is very honest. He saved my crap I received back from Conrad. I did however have to buy a new section from IMA. I should see my receiver next week and will let you know more. Kudos to Pirate for his new business.
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

I went to Pirate site today and other than his brief tutorial on the bolt, I didt see and couldnt open the 'Emachine' direction. Does anybody have a link that I can see just what bolt and trigger mods need to be done? Im pretty crafty with a dremel and want to do as much as I can by myself. (Not only am I cheap but Im obstinate and wanna say I did it myself!) You guys need to keep telling me horror stories about how hard this will be for a home builder with nothing but a drill pres and a dremel......Im gonna get anxious and try and do it myself, I just know it.
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

OK, I found the receiver build tutorial........
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

Sorry to keep adding to my own post, but I cant find the edit option.

Anyways, I hate to bring this up again........is this weapon subject to 922 compliance, and if so, how are we doing it?

(wow, almost an exact duplicate of my post about 2 years ago.......)
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

The edit button is on the top right of your post.This is a recent addition.I would not discourage anyone that feels they have the skills from doing this work.I also enjoy doing for myself,it gives great satisfacyion to see the finished product'[well,some of them].There are some prints here somewhere that detail the TNW type of modifications,I have them on my home computer,but am not there-I am sure someone here has a link! ---bil
Pirate
General
General

Post by Pirate »

Scott, if you plan on doing the bolt mods with a drill & dremel, save yourself a lot of grief and sell the kit. it is hard as glass and it is a precision part that needs to be done in a mill and lathe. the 34 is not forgiving like the 42. if you are planning on slapping it together you will only ruin your parts and will have wasted your money.
to be done properly the receiver parts need to be machined, fillers made then tig welded. anything less is a waste of time.
I am not trying to discourage you or sell our services, just trying to prevent you from making an expensive mistake.
rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

Excellent advice & I'm going with it as well & I have built a boat load of guns this baby is best finished by those that have experiance with its design in & out save yourself alot of expensive trouble I figured I have way to much invested in mine to F-it up so decided to bite the bullet & have mine done as well who knows I may decied to attempt one down the road but for now I want one that will work thanks Stan for the good sound advice :D
flemgunner
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by flemgunner »

Yep that how Im gonna go as well. Although I must say my dremel is displeased at me
Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Best thing you can do is either:
-See if Pirate is open to taking on the work.
-Make friends with the local highschool shop teacher, and ask to use the shop after school hours :lol: .
-See if any local machinists / welders can do the job (although, better off working with somebody who knows guns).
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

Pirate wrote:Scott, if you plan on doing the bolt mods with a drill & dremel, save yourself a lot of grief and sell the kit. it is hard as glass and it is a precision part that needs to be done in a mill and lathe. the 34 is not forgiving like the 42. if you are planning on slapping it together you will only ruin your parts and will have wasted your money.
to be done properly the receiver parts need to be machined, fillers made then tig welded. anything less is a waste of time.
I am not trying to discourage you or sell our services, just trying to prevent you from making an expensive mistake.
Well Stan, if you would EVER answer the emails I send you, maybe I would be more inclined to hire you, ya New Jersey hack! :mrgreen:

Seriously, I was going to call you this week and get prices on the semi parts and a welding quote. Now check youe email, darnit.
rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

Michael J wrote:Best thing you can do is either:
-See if Pirate is open to taking on the work.
-Make friends with the local highschool shop teacher, and ask to use the shop after school hours :lol: .
-See if any local machinists / welders can do the job (although, better off working with somebody who knows guns).

Mike I have probly built around a hundred guns give or take a few but this one I would not trust to my shop teacher or myself I have way to much already invested in this piece of history to F---it up & I would kick myself in the ass for doing it + factor in the crap I would have to endure from the 12 or so close build friends I have that I screwed the pooch on it. Naaah not worth it as for Pirate being open for the work yea I talk to him often & hes gonna do a couple for me so I'll be able to sleep now but if ya ever get a 34 kit keep it away from your shop teacher trust me.
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

No worries about shop teachers or local gunsmiths here. My local BOCES is full of liberals and there isnt a gunsmith within a hundred miles of me, nonetheless one who can weld a receiver together. You guys are right, Im not going to try and weld her up myself. I should have my kit by next Tuesday so Ill be able to tell you guys what kind of shape its in.
Michael J

Post by Michael J »

rocco1911 wrote: Mike I have probly built around a hundred guns give or take a few but this one I would not trust to my shop teacher or myself I have way to much already invested in this piece of history to F---it up & I would kick myself in the ass for doing it + factor in the crap I would have to endure from the 12 or so close build friends I have that I screwed the pooch on it. Naaah not worth it as for Pirate being open for the work yea I talk to him often & hes gonna do a couple for me so I'll be able to sleep now but if ya ever get a 34 kit keep it away from your shop teacher trust me.
I know what you mean, i didn't even trust my shop teacher with my '42, i did all the work myself. I was more getting at the shop teacher letting you use some of the machines at the shop. A lot cheaper than going out and buying yourself a lathe and TIG welder! But, this is assuming you know how to do the work. Pirate really is just the overall best choice though :) .
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

Scott,

Rocco made quite a cogent point about farming it out, even for an experienced and skilled builder like yourself.

You don’t want your ’34 looking like Homer Simpson’s backyard BBQ grill that he tried putting together. :lol:
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864