WTK Value of MG34 receiver

Anything MG34 related.
Cercamon
Obergefreiter
Obergefreiter

WTK Value of MG34 receiver

Post by Cercamon »

I have an opportunity to purchase a two saw cut MG34 receiver. Any idea what this would be worth to a builder? A two saw cut sounds about as good as it gets but it is expensive. A guy on GB wants 500 for a three cut torched and has a bid of 350 already. A two saw cut sounds like a whole lot less work.
MauserMatt
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Re: WTK Value of MG34 receiver

Post by MauserMatt »

I saw the the 2 saw cut receivers on here not that long ago for $500 a piece.. Wish I could have picked one up... I haven't seen one since then though (about 2 months).
~Matt
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

I don't think you can get a 2 saw cut receiver for 500 anymore,although you can sometimes get a 2 cut torched with overlapping pieces for that.I personally would pay more for a saw cut,less work getting ready for welding,less distortion from the heat,no slag in odd spots.Make sure the pieces are from the same receiver or have overlapping cuts-you don't want to end up trying to find a little sliver piece after spending all that money.Ask for pictures and study carefully,or actually have the pieces in hand and compare measurements. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
Cercamon
Obergefreiter
Obergefreiter

Post by Cercamon »

I was told the pieces are fom the same original receiver and I should receive pictures soon. The guy wants $800 which is quite the chunk of change, but it may be worth it compared to a TNW or a tourch cut one.

Can saw cut receivers usually be rewelded without filler material? I woul dassume you would have to penetrate all the way to the inside of the bolt channel to fill the kerf. If I had overlapping tourch cut sections you could have no gap at all.
MauserMatt
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by MauserMatt »

Wow, I had no idea they had gone up that much already... Wish i had bought one!
~Matt
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Cercamon-you may want to contact Pirate at Projectguns-he has done several 34 receivers,has a tutorial,and may be offering reweld services on these in the future.He should have an answer for you. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
Cercamon
Obergefreiter
Obergefreiter

Post by Cercamon »

I ended up purchasing a 3 cut torch cut receiver with overlap for a lot less than the saw cut one. If anyone is interested in the saw cut one for $800 I can ask if the owner wants other interested parties. Someone else offerd a two cut (I assume torch) for $900. Quite a bit of change but I guess thay are not making anymore. Wonder how many are out there?
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

I think I paid around 5-600 for my last 2cut overlapping piece receiver.As to not making any more,it is true they aren't making the one piece receivers,but any that may come into the country would be made into pieces!As to how many are out there,that would be a big guess,I would think these will continue to show up for years,as projects are given up on,or folks pass on and the wife or kids get rid of dads old 'scrap'! ---bil
jimdvan

Post by jimdvan »

Cercamon, I am very interested. I sent you a P.M.
Artie in Miami

Post by Artie in Miami »

My welder teaches at the vocational school here in Miami, and he took my torch cut (with large gaps) and put it in a jig...tack welded it, then band saw cut it and filled the spaces...when the spaces were all filled (slowly, to avoid distortion) he welded the pieces back together...he did a super job...took a long time, and I lost interest in the semi build ! I will pick it up again. My point is...unless you are really good with the welding machine...the cost would be out of sight to have the torch cut pieces put back together...unless you buy the pieces that have overlapping edges. I would never buy another torch cut...and he would never agree to do it again...believe it or not...it took him 90 hours to do it !! Can you imagine what someone would charge ? I took my first attempt to a regular welding shop, and they charged me the minimum $150...and did it so fast that they warped the crap out of the receiver..even thought it was in a jig similar to the one Pirate shows in the build section..I use it for a display gun. It is a very time consuming job...to do it right.

artie in miami