Check your MG34 "booster cone" ...a possible warni

Anything MG34 related.
Sledge303

Post by Sledge303 »

ChevyM14 wrote:I e-mailed TNW last week and I got an replay back to day:

"HI,

WE HAVE NO AWNSER FOR YOUR QUESTION, SORRY

KELLY"

So I think that they dont even know that there are two type cones!
Interesting. I also sent TNW an E-Mail the day I started this thread. Today I received the same reply. I sent back the same info as before, only this time phrased as a question.
A game of MG34 Jeopardy, anyone?
Roscoeturner
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Roscoeturner »

I took my full auto MG34 apart this evening and found it had a 9.5mm booster in it. Looks like I will be calling to order one of those 11mm boosters tomorrow.
Sledge303

Post by Sledge303 »

Rottenfuhrer wrote:I took my full auto MG34 apart this evening and found it had a 9.5mm booster in it. Looks like I will be calling to order one of those 11mm boosters tomorrow.
Please let me know where you locate a 11MM booster to buy as I still need one.
Roscoeturner
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Roscoeturner »

Will do. I will probably order one of the stainless steel types to use until I run across a nice original.
Last edited by Roscoeturner on Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smoggle

Post by smoggle »

Norway used the 34 in .308 after the war.
m2ball

Post by m2ball »

mg34.com sells 11mm boster cones. steel is $25, stainless is $45.
Reichpapers
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by Reichpapers »

So what is original...stainless or steel? I have 2 stainless 9.5mm cones.
It's better to be silent and considered a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
m2ball

Post by m2ball »

They said the stainless is new made.
Reichpapers
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by Reichpapers »

Postwar made or new manufacture (ie...by a us company)?
It's better to be silent and considered a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

Also....before you drill out those 9mm and 9.5mm Booster-Cups/"Nozzles", I could use two of these.
You can e-mail me directly at:

Blanksguy2001@chartermi.net

....and we can work out the details.
TIA, RichardS in MI.
Blanksguy2001@chartermi.net
Roscoeturner
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Roscoeturner »

Reichpapers,

The 11mm stainless steel cone I recently received from AA was newly manufactured.

Rttf.
kpaintner
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by kpaintner »

Same as previous post, I just received mine from AA in stainless and it appears to be new manufactured. No markings, I haven't measured all the dimensions yet, but it appears to be the same as my 9.5mm that came with my kit from AA.
Sledge303

Post by Sledge303 »

Curious that the book on "German Universal Machineguns" states that MG34's should have a 11 MM booster cone opening. How come so many parts sets and all the TNW guns come with a booster cone with a 9.5 MM opening? I have examined 4 MG34 parts sets and only the very early "Panzer" set had a boosted cone with a 11 MM opening. Also seems like many folks here have found 9.5 MM booster cones. Why are we seeing so many of what I thought would be a "rare" part used only with guns set up for light-weight ball training ammo?
Reichpapers
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by Reichpapers »

They were not from AA, and don't look newly manufactured. These came from IMA. They look like the ones on their website.
Attachments
GG3452.jpg
GG3452.jpg (181.08 KiB) Viewed 6924 times
GG3452-1.jpg
GG3452-1.jpg (162.76 KiB) Viewed 6926 times
sam game

booster cones

Post by sam game »

I fully agree with Sledge and there must be an explanation why nearly all of the booster cones mentionned in this thread are the 9.5mm supposedly rare type. I have two booster cones too and both are 9.5mm. Shouldn't original German WWII issue booster cones be stamped with the usual Waffenamt and/or manufacturer's codes? Mines show no markings at all.
Roscoeturner
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Roscoeturner »

I am extremely curious about this myself since the cone I found in my C&R 1941 dfb was a 9.5 mm cone. The MG is 90% matching, with the buttstock, bolt and feed plate numbered to another MG.

I contacted Folke asking what damage would result using the 9.5 cone and this was his answer - "The unlocking cams take a beating if the bolt travels to the rear with too much force." I checked the cams and they did not appear to have any damage but to be on the safe side I bought an 11mm cone.

How it effects semi auto versions I have no idea.
m2ball

Post by m2ball »

I have a semi 34 and I was having trouble with ejection issues. I replaced the cone with an 11mm one, and the gun ran better and the ejection issues disapeared. The cases dropped out the bottom rather than shotout the front.
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

There seem to be two seperate issues here-neither one yet answered completely!#1-I t seems that the guns run betterwith the 11 mm piece that is called for. # 2-why do the parts sets keep showing up with the 9mm piece?It is happening much too often to be a co-incidence. ---bil
Sledge303

Post by Sledge303 »

m2ball wrote:I have a semi 34 and I was having trouble with ejection issues. I replaced the cone with an 11mm one, and the gun ran better and the ejection issues disapeared. The cases dropped out the bottom rather than shotout the front.
My TNW MG34 ejects the same way, slings the brass out the front for a good distance. It has a (nice) 9.5MM booster cone that closely resembles the one pictured on this thread. I am thinking of taking the one from my MG34 parts set (also 9.5MM) and having my local gunsmith turn it out to 10.5MM. That gives me a bit of a safety margin. If it is still a bit violent we can always open it up some more.
PM

mines a big 10.5

Post by PM »

I have an original MG34 booster that has an exit hole that measures 10.5mm with a digital caliper. I thought the ww2 were 11.5? This one shows little to no wear?