Blank-Adapting the MG34.

Anything MG34 related.
mp40oli

Re: Blank-Adapting the MG34.

Post by mp40oli »

Outta curiousity, could you tell me what the difference is in the German mg and non mg ammo ?
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

mp40oli,

If I remember correctly, the only difference is in bullet-types, bullet-weights....and the corresponding powder-charge to make those bullet-weights respond to correct range vs. chamber-pressure. There are some "markings" that tell the user what they have (such as some primers are a different color....and some bullet-tips are painted.....all depending on who manufactured it and time-period).

Nothing is different in the shell-case.

A misconception is that some reloaders tell "buyers" that their ammunition is made to "correct mg head-space"....when they should be saying that they "couldn't resize the shell-case near the bottom of the case-head with the dies they are using.....and that Military-MGs usually have a slightly larger chamber".

What do you believe the differences are (?).
Regards, RichardS in MI.
Blanksguy2001@chartermi.net
mp40oli

Post by mp40oli »

The chamber sizing is the problem with my last blanks.. They where too short and ended up sitting too deep into the chamber. I need full length cases. I always suspected that the mg rounds where hotter, in order to operate the heavy bolt at a high rate of speed. My 3/8 plug is drilled to just under 1/4 for starters..Hope this is large enough for starters.
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

mp40oli,
The "US" SAAMI Specs. call for an 8x57mm case to be:

From case-base to start of case-neck: 1.8273" (-.008"). For head-space.

Have you checked you chamber vs. bolt combination to insure that your parts are set for correct head-space (?).

The live MG rounds are not loaded "hotter".....the speed of the bolt and "system" (RPM) is due to locking-time, design of the parts, and size of the booster vs. weight of parts that it is required to move.

When working with the BFA....only make it smaller in .010" increments.....and then try again until your MG operates correctly. The remember that all Blanks are not made to the same standard....if you switch to a different vendor....you will need to re-set-up your MG to fire the new/different Blanks.

Regards, RichardS in MI.
mp40oli

Post by mp40oli »

works perfect..thanks. Using a Alan bolt drilled to 1/8inch in the 2 piece blank barrel. Good cycle rate but now its getting stuck on FA (trigger in the full rear position). Single works perfect. The only way to release it is to press down on the Sear catch knob located above the right grip..or remove the grip assembly completely... any ideas? Everything looks good and clean inside.
RaccoonRough

Post by RaccoonRough »

I have a question. I hope to have a working MG34 Semi soon. Should I invest in a two piece barrel?

RR
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

RaccoonRough,
(just getting back from an out-of-state-trip...and reading your questions).....

To answer your questions:
This would depend on what Blanks you are going to use....and amount of "funds" available to both "Blank-Adapt", and buy Blanks.
....and last would be "depending on what you want your MG34/SA34 to sound like"....your noise level requirements.
(NOTE: You will still need the modified feed-tray due to the MG34/SA34 having issues with feeding.).

Are you going to be using "hot" or "standard" 8x57mm Blanks (?).
.....or .308 "surplus-blanks" (7.62x51mmNATO)......and again, made by who (?)....or are you going to make your own (?).

Basic guidance would be:
1: If you are going to use "weak-blanks"....then go with the two-pcs. Blank-Barrel-assembly because is requires less pressure to operate........."but" it does cost more-$$$ .
2: If you are going to use "hotter" Blanks (or are short on funds-$$$) then the restricted booster-cup/"nozzle" will work and is cheaper......."but" it does have a few draw-backs as I talked about earlier.

Give me a little more information and I will be able to help with better answers.
Maybe with photos of the blanks used/feed-tray-modifications/any problem-areas that you are having when you get started.
(NOTE: I will not go into "loadings"/making Blanks at this time. Please don't ask.).

Regards, RichardS in MI.
RaccoonRough

Post by RaccoonRough »

Well,

I have no idea what blanks I will be using yet. But I do have a line on a nice two piece blank barrel .......that someone wants to trade me.

If I get the two piece barrel (Since it is original) I guess I can then find blanks to work. Where would you get low power blanks? Are they cheaper than reg. blanks? Does a two pc. barrel make a louder bang?

Thanks

RR
mp40oli

Post by mp40oli »

I just installed a 2 piece system in mine , and it works flawless. Just a minor modification to the feed tray because the blanks are shorter than regular rounds, and your good to go. Make sure the blanks you use have full length cases, shorties won't work. I paid $35 per 100 rounds.
RaccoonRough

Post by RaccoonRough »

Ok,

Did you still use a restricted nozzle piece?

RR
mp40oli

Post by mp40oli »

The 2 piece barell uses a small Alan head bolt thats screws into the barrel end.. Different diameter holes in the centre of it regulates the amount of backpressure. No cone is used in this setup.
tomcatshaas
General
General

Post by tomcatshaas »

is the 2 piece barre that http://ioinc.us sells the correct 2 piece set up to buy?

TC
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

I would have to see clear/close photos of what they are currently selling to be able to tell you. Need to also see the rear-extension removed, and rear of barrel-area.

Regards, RichardS in MI.
mp40oli

Post by mp40oli »

the setup on ioinc is differant than mine.. I can give you neither a yes or no answer. Sorry
RaccoonRough

Post by RaccoonRough »

I too was wondering about the barrels that I.O. Sells. Are there different two piece orig. German WW2 barrels?

RR
tomcatshaas
General
General

Post by tomcatshaas »

RaccoonRough wrote:I too was wondering about the barrels that I.O. Sells. Are there different two piece orig. German WW2 barrels?

RR
I would like to know this too. If it is German WW2 made with waffens, shouldn't it be good?

Also, Blanksguy could you repost the pictures that are missing on page 1, and I will get them back where they should be.

I also would be interested in how to make blanks. What I need ect.

TC
dwmmg08
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by dwmmg08 »

I would be interested in the .308 insert for the 2 pc. blank firing barrel of the original german style, as a question, when the Norwegians (Isrealis?) were using it did they use .308 blanks? Are we reinventing the wheel, and can the chambers/bfa parts of the barrels be imported if the barrels can't?
RaccoonRough

Post by RaccoonRough »

I too am very interested in learning how to make my own blanks. I phoned I.O. and their blank barrels are orig. German and they are like the third barrel down on page 324 in Myrvang's book. They also do not have any adjusting screw in the muzzle.

Will that help us determine anything?

RR
reb62

Post by reb62 »

I just purchased a 2-piece blank barrel from IOINC and should have it buy Friday 11-16. I will post detailed pics of it ASAP for all to view. I still need to determine what blanks to shoot through this once I get it.
RaccoonRough

Post by RaccoonRough »

Did you get a hand select barrel? Or just their normal barrel?

RR