Which top cover is less common?

Anything MG34 related.
Abominog
Major
Major

Which top cover is less common?

Post by Abominog »

I haven't seen published a list of quantities manufactured by firm, so at this point I suspect the rarity of marked parts is based more on survival than number manufactured. With nothing published, it then falls to collectors who have the experience of observation of a long time.

So- please see attached photo of top covers. There are three- clc, bpr, and 963. Note the unpolished machining on the bpr (middle unit.) Are any of these more or less common/ valuable?

Thanks!
IMG_3251.JPG
FNG
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: Which top cover is less common?

Post by 42rocker »

I think that feed back of this type would be great. I tried to start something on different maker marks a while back but it was shot down by a mod, who is not a mod anymore.
So it would be great to start going forth with getting data and info on this site.
On the top covers, I only own a few MG34 top covers so can't really help out on that.
Hope to see you at the Creek

Later 42rocker
Abominog
Major
Major

Post by Abominog »

42rocker wrote: I tried to start something on different maker marks a while back but it was shot down by a mod, who is not a mod anymore.
So it would be great to start going forth with getting data and info on this site.

r
That's stupid. Why would we not want to undertake a study of German MG codes and occurance? Right now it's all in the heads of 60+ year old long-time collectors.

bpr = Grossfuss, 1942-1943

clc = Rich. Herder

963 = unknown

I'll have to look at the Waffenampt to establish dates. The clc for example was used (reportedly) in 1940, 1941, and 1944. If that's the case, a 1940 or 1941 would probably be quite rare, since most of those went to the Eastern Front.

Of course, it's not unlikely that clc was used 1940 through 1944, and that the '42 and '43 manufacturing hasn't been confirmed.

More likely, clc made MG34 top covers in 1940 and 1941 (maybe '42) but after that everything went to "dot" so any 1944 clc MG34 parts would be spares.

When I look at the Waffenampt I'll get one data point. If we could record more, then the answer to the above would be more conclusive.
FNG
Abominog
Major
Major

Post by Abominog »

Here's what I have so far. Note the manufacturer and inspectors (WaA) are not the same facility, even on the same piece!

Top cover, clc (Richard Herder), WaA519 (Eichorn 1941, 1942)

Top cover, bpr (Grossfuss) no WaA

Top cover, 963 (mfg code unidentified), WaA4 (DWM), WaA407

Bipods: keep in mind these were probably torn apart, replaced, etc. so unlikely parts match as came from factory.

Bipod 1, DCJ (unknown), WaA710

Bipod 2, ?ec40 (unknown), WaA727 (K. Barth, 1940, 1941), WaA815 (SDP, 1941, 1942)

Bipod 3, dfb (Gustloff), ?14, WaA766, Dia (all unknown; "Dia" is in script, very unusual)

Garand collectors love to assemble a factory-correct rifle. Good luck with the MG34.
FNG