MG34 Training Rounds

Anything MG34 related.
czerka
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter
Anti-spam: Mg42

MG34 Training Rounds

Post by czerka »

Ok I have an MG42 that is adapted to fire the 308 NATO training rounds for use as a rental at my indoor range. So I have been trying to adapt the MG34 to use the same ammo. I already adapted the MG42 Ü muzzle device to the 34 and it will fire and eject the plastic rounds the problem I am having is it is refusing to feed these rounds. The gun works fine using live ammo so I am not sure what the problem is. The gun has all the 308 conversion parts installed; BRP 308 barrel, Norwegian 308 feed tray and a 308 bullet guide. Anyone have any ideas what might be the issue or am I trying to do something that just is not feasible?
20160423_173441.jpeg
Attachments
20160423_173449.jpeg
michaelkih
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Re: MG34 Training Rounds

Post by michaelkih »

How's the rate of fire in the MG42?
anjongni
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by anjongni »

czerka, "Blanksguy" here at the site would know how to fix the feed problem. You may need one of his "blank-firing barrel" 2-piece setups instead of just the restrictor in place of the flash hider. From what I understand, it takes a lot more momentum to cycle the long live barrel. I believe he also stated that you want just enough recoil spring, buffer spring and restriction to cycle your particular choice of blanks.
Here's an MG34 blank-firing barrel on G/B. (Not mine) Might be worth looking into.
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/570390401
pix759127213.jpg
pix261967341.jpg
Best of luck.....Phil
czerka
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by czerka »

michaelkih wrote:How's the rate of fire in the MG42?
Sorry have not been on the site for awhile and just saw your post. the rate of fire with the DAG rounds is about 1000 rpm.

Here is a video of my wife shooting the plastic rounds https://youtu.be/iRq1-D_-dj8
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

czerka,
As your MG34 was set up for, and fires 7.62x51mm ammo well, what I am seeing in the photos could possibly be one of a few issues:

1: Almost looks like not enough recoil of the bolt-assembly to get the bolt-head behind the cartridge-base.
What do the deformed cartridges look like on the front-half (?)......and are they hitting the barrel-face (?).

2: I would say that the cartridge-depressor in the top-cover is not holding the cartridges down......"but" you say it fires live 7.62x51mm ammunition well.

3: The issue that you sorted out on your MG42 using DAG Plastic-ammo/training rounds was the adjustment on the DAG Muzzle-Device......correct (?) Barrel needs to be fully forward for loading/operation. Possible look at this as a source of the same operational issue (?).......or a slow/dirty/weak-spring in the Barrel-Return-Mech. (Rod and Spring).

Regards, RichardS
US Army, RET
czerka
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by czerka »

Yeah, that's all it was I ran a 50 round belt through it an no issues, consistent rate of fire. As for the 34 its been awhile since I experimented with it but I will check the same issue. The recuperator spring is new and I changed the spring in the cartridge depressor with one similar but stiffer, I can't find any new so kind of just experimenting when it comes to that. As far as I can remember the cartridges are pretty bent up when they fail to chamber. We had to create a space in order for the DAG piston to make contact with the bearing but I will set it up tomorrow and see if adjusting corrects the problem. Thanks for all your help.
czerka
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by czerka »

I checked the muzzle device on the MG34 and it was off had to adjust the space and it now I am able to get some bursts but rarely. The first round usually goes in too steep like in the original picture I posted. When I do get a burst (no more than 3 rnds) it stops when the round misses the chamber and is all mangled up. I tried using brass cased wood bullets and they miss the chamber as well and the bullet just gets smashed into the case.
Attachments
101_1222.JPG
michaelkih
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by michaelkih »

Question for you if you don't mind, since you are able to run DAG ammo in your MG42.

I have an original MG2 from 1944, and I have been trying to get the DAG ammo to run in it. How are you getting it to work? I have swapped the 308 conversion parts onto the MG42, swapped the bolt head with the DAG bolt head, and swapped the booster cone with the DAG booster "bubble". When I shoot it, it only fires the round, and does not eject or reload. Obviously not enough power? But what am I missing? It runs 100% in 8mm and 308.

I really appreciate the help!