FOUND - Bakelite butt stock with metal tips

Anything MG34 related.
CaptMax
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier

FOUND - Bakelite butt stock with metal tips

Post by CaptMax »

Just wanted to post a couple pictures of the butt stock I recently received from a friend.
He found it while browsing the Knob Creek show after I had to leave early and unexpectedly.
Sure is nice having friends who are so kind and look out for you. :beer:
Thinking about having the metal tips re-silvered, any thoughts on that?
CaptMax
beginner
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter
Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: FOUND - Bakelite butt stock with metal tips

Post by beginner »

I would leave it as is; usually very little to gain by touching up these old parts. I received an MG34 yesterday which to my surprise also has the steel-tipped bakelite butt as well.
Is it true these were designed specifically for the eastern front, to withstand the cold better?
Attachments
Stock.JPG
m4a1sof
Obergefreiter
Obergefreiter

Post by m4a1sof »

What are the years of manufacture that the metal tipped butt stocks would be correct for? I have a DOT 1941 and always wondered what years the metal tipped were correct for, or is it only certain manufacturer's and certain years that used them?
gurtsack
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by gurtsack »

hello,
It is complicated with the manufacturer "dot", reason why the serial numbers recommence to zero at each beginning of years.

So it is very hard to date a reinforced stock from "dot" with the serial number. In any case, it seems that in 1942 all the German manufacturers of MG34 abandon the reinforced Bakelite stock for unreinforced stock. It is possible that "dot" abandons this type of crook earlier I think, from 1941.

best regards
Gurt