Replacing MG34 bolt rollers

Anything MG34 related.
bbrown
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Replacing MG34 bolt rollers

Post by bbrown »

The right hand rollers on my S/A MG34 bolt fell off due to a defective C-spring. The replacement rollers and springs arrived from Allegheny Arsenal today.

So, what's the step-by-step process for installing the new outer roller and spring? The inner roller is not a problem. Does the C-spring go into the groove on the roller shaft first and the outer roller is pressed on over that? I don't have enough hands yet to get that to work.

Or does the C-spring go inside the groove in the outer roller which is then pressed onto the roller shaft?

Enquiring minds want to know.

TIA.
MP44
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Re: Replacing MG34 bolt rollers

Post by MP44 »

I always put the c spring on the shaft then push the roller over it. The outer roller should have a radius that compresses the c spring and allows it to slide over and snap into the groove. Sometimes a little grease helps.
bbrown
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by bbrown »

Thanks, as you (and others elsewhere) suggested I was finally able to get the replacement rollers installed by putting the C-spring on the shaft and wiggling the outer roller over it while using some needle nose pliers and an x-acto knife to compress the ends of the spring. Interestingly, neither the original German nor the replacement outer roller had any apparent radius to assist the installation. The inner roller, yes, to fit over the small ramp where the shaft rises from the bolt head, but not the outer roller.

Be that as it may, all's well and the gun shoots just fine now. Well, except for the very hard trigger pull (it's a TNW-made gun with a single trigger roller).
HauptfeldwebelGVF
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by HauptfeldwebelGVF »

What's the best way to remove a roller? mines chipped and I have a replacement on hand, but dont knkw tnw best way to get the old one off.
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

There's actually a tool made for doing that, but since you don't have one, look at the pictures of one below and see how it's done:

:D

http://mg42.us/viewtopic.php?t=9832
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
HauptfeldwebelGVF
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by HauptfeldwebelGVF »

Thanks! Helped a lot. All the dissasembky vids I saw were 100% wrong for those clips.
shooterike
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by shooterike »

Removing MG34 bolt rollers is no problem at all with the right tool. With the special pliers shown (dot proofed) just place the jaws over the roller. The tool will automatically align the roller and press gently. The roller generally comes off with unreal ease.
Attachments
100_1613.JPG
100_1612.JPG