MG34 started misfeeding. picture.

Anything MG34 related.
michaelkih
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter
Anti-spam: Mg42

MG34 started misfeeding. picture.

Post by michaelkih »

I have read that this means that the spring pressure in the feed block that pushes the round into the chamber is worn out. How do I go about replacing this spring? I took the feed block out, but couldn't see where I could just replace the spring. Are these springs even available? Is it better to just replace the feed block itself? Thank you!

michaelkih
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Re: MG34 started misfeeding. picture.

Post by michaelkih »

I have found a new and never even fired feed block assembly. After reading through my Collector Grade MG34 book I am assuming it is this after all? What about the top cover, can those become worn out? Mine does wobble a little when it is latched. Thanks for any help!

Added: I did purchase and install a new US made recoil spring from RTG and installed it in the gun. It appears to be much stiffer than the original spring. Could this stiffer spring be causing the issues? Thanks again for any help!
messerschmittfan
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by messerschmittfan »

Does the last fired round get ejected properly? I had a similar issue happen to me but it was caused by the extractor not pulling the fired round out of the barrel, the new round could not enter the barrel as the bullet hit on the fired cartridge. The stronger spring should not cause that problem. Harry
michaelkih
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by michaelkih »

Yes, it ejects the previous round. Just doesn't feed a new one. It's honestly almost every shot now.
messerschmittfan
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Have you changed the barrel or bolt? If you only have one barrel, pull it and note which lug was up when it came out of the jacket and turn it 180 degrees so the other lug is up and reinsert. If it was working before the only things it could be is the barrel or the belt tray with perhaps the bolt. Take it all apart, clean and oil but first try what I suggested above. Harry
michaelkih
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by michaelkih »

Thank you for the advice. I have been doing some research, and have heard that if the belts are too tight, this can happen. Bolt slips under the round after stripping it. I was using a different belt from 1939 that was VERY tight. I loosened up each link in the belt and am going to try it again. Now that I think about it, the problem was much worse when I was using the steel cased ammo which was much harder to feed into the gun. Man, I hope it's this easy of a fix!
michaelkih
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by michaelkih »

Not sure if this helps any, but what I call the feed ramp, looks like this. Looks terrible to me, but all the other MG34s I've seen look like this as well, so I guess this is normal? Thanks again!

42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

That last pic is very interesting. I need to go and take a look a some of mine.
Good Luck. Can anyone help out with this??

Later 42rocker
messerschmittfan
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

I have seven MG34's and eight kits in the shop right now plus two TNW's in the my personal safe and NONE of them look like that. That looks horrible. Send me an email at h.connors@centurylink.net. and I will send you some photographs of what it should look like. I suspect that it had been welded at one time and the weld was knocked out with a chisel. You should be able to clean up with a dremel and round sander. I use steel cased ammo (Rumanian) in my belts and have no problem. Be sure the belts are clean and do not have any rust or dirt in the case pocket. But that hacked up guide ramp appears to be the problem. Harry
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

The stripper is the accessory on the bolt head which pushes the cartridge out of the belt. Check the front edge of the stripper and see if it is chipped or badly worn and no longer has the proper angle for pushing on the cartridge. Perhaps compare it to another stripper.

There is a spring which holds the stripper up (it is under the stripper). Check to see that it is not bent, broken, or weak. It has to be in good condition or the stripper won't stay up high enough when pushing the cartridge forward, and can slip under it.

One or both of the L shaped levers in the top cover which hold the cartridge onto the feed tray can have weak springs. Replace if necessary. In your case, it's most likely the spring of the rear lever which is weak.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
Roscoeturner
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Roscoeturner »

messerschmittfan wrote:I have seven MG34's and eight kits in the shop right now plus two TNW's in the my personal safe and NONE of them look like that. That looks horrible. Send me an email at h.connors@centurylink.net.. and I will send you some photographs of what it should look like. I suspect that it had been welded at one time and the weld was knocked out with a chisel. You should be able to clean up with a dremel and round sander. I use steel cased ammo (Rumanian) in my belts and have no problem. Be sure the belts are clean and do not have any rust or dirt in the case pocket. But that hacked up guide ramp appears to be the problem. Harry
My C&R MG34 doesn't look like that either. I had trouble with mine at first but I was using Yugo 8mm, gun works perfectly with Romanian and original WWII steel cased ammunition.
“Never speak in absolutes when speaking of history, you may be proved wrong with the next spade of dirt or turn of the page.”
messerschmittfan
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

I double checked everyone of the receivers and the completed guns, none have a rough half circle like that. I would recommend cleaning it up with a round sander or a file. I suspect that the rounds are hanging on those rough edges and causing the jams. Harry
michaelkih
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by michaelkih »

Thanks for all of the replies everyone!

Long story short, fixing something like this is WAY over my head, so it should be getting delivered to Bob of Black River Millitaria on Monday, and he said that he can fix everything for me, and turn it around. While he has it I also asked for him to "clean it up" some as much as he could. Overall, make it look as good as he can....should look great! ;)

The dealer I bought this gun from is a very stand up guy and since he never test fired it, he said he would cover all of the repair costs. I will obviously pay for "cleaning it up."

I got it for a great price and it's matching, so I guess I can't complain too much even though this does suck. It'll be like Christmas when it comes back to me!

Thanks again everyone!
Last edited by michaelkih on Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

Bob Naess is one of the best. Your gun is in good hands.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
michaelkih
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by michaelkih »

jbaum wrote:Bob Naess is one of the best. Your gun is in good hands.
That's what the dealer I bought this from said. I'm very happy, and can't wait to get it back. Thanks again everyone.