Anything MG34 related.
mg34nz
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant
Anti-spam: Mg42

Made a friends day today

Post by mg34nz »

Hi All

Today I made the day of a collector friend ,he had a strong desire to own a MG34 and I happened to stumble upon one at a recent auction I attended.The gun did not meet reserve and was withdrawn so with me knowing the vendor I was able to do a very favorable deal after a quick call to the new owner to confirm price.Payment was made and paperwork completed,the gun arrived stripped down in a box yesterday and today it was assembled and collected by the new custodian. The gun is a nice BSW example dated 1937,it has had a bit of re numbering but most parts appear to be early manufacture in keeping with the 1937 date,the grip has the blanking stud in place where the rate of fire control was once housed.
Pics show the 1937 gun sitting with my dirty old dot 43 example.It was a real pleasure relocating this gun and helping out a friend along the way.

MG34NZ
Attachments
Pics 264.jpg
Pics 265.jpg
salt6
General
General

Re: Made a friends day today

Post by salt6 »

Good work. Nice MGs.
Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

John Newton (1725-1807)

George Orwell

salt6
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

If I'm guessing right in New Zealand, right? So not knowing much about NZ laws are they Full Auto or Semi or ?
They look nice. Tell us more please.

Later 42rocker
olli
Major
Major

Post by olli »

I have weaknes for BSW guns, and this made my day! Nice, nice, nice!!
Pug42
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by Pug42 »

NZ gun laws are very liberal (Unlike Australia!) so I would expect the 34s to be full auto as intended!

Are you (or do you know) Steve Goodman? He helped me out with setting up a blank firing MP40 replica a few years ago - great guy. I know he has a serious collection of German stuff and shoots it all regularly! (Not jealous at all.... no :D )
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf
cptdarling506

Post by cptdarling506 »

Hardly liberal our gun laws.
We can own but not fire full auto's, except if using blanks for movie stuff, a sub category of the "C" collectors licence.
Can have semi autos in "military style"( "E") or in "sporting configuration"("A").
The PC brigade get their collective underwear in a tangle over bayonet lugs and "large capacity" magazines
and have a fit over pistol grips.
We all know Steve, he's world famous in New Zealand.
mg34nz
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by mg34nz »

42rocker wrote:If I'm guessing right in New Zealand, right? So not knowing much about NZ laws are they Full Auto or Semi or ?
They look nice. Tell us more please.

Later 42rocker
Hey 42rocker, yes these are in NZ,100% live and Full auto, like Cptdarling says no provision to legally use them here unless for "theatrical purposes" which requires a fair amount of organisation and is blanks only.It would be irresponsible to suggest or imply anything else in a public forum.

MG34NZ
Last edited by mg34nz on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mg34nz
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by mg34nz »

olli wrote:I have weaknes for BSW guns, and this made my day! Nice, nice, nice!!
Hi Olli, Im glad you like the BSW MG34, The new owner is very pleased with it and I got quite a kick out of putting together the deal which helped out two personal friends. It is a nice gun and it was good to be able to compare the two side by side and point out the early features of the BSW gun to the new owner as he is very new to collecting and the MG34 was at the top of his "wants list".

MG34NZ
mg34nz
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by mg34nz »

Pug42 wrote:NZ gun laws are very liberal (Unlike Australia!) so I would expect the 34s to be full auto as intended!

Are you (or do you know) Steve Goodman? He helped me out with setting up a blank firing MP40 replica a few years ago - great guy. I know he has a serious collection of German stuff and shoots it all regularly! (Not jealous at all.... no :D )
Hi David, No Im not Steve,I have had dealings with him and some of the guys he is associated with.Steve is heavily into reenactment (SS I believe)and has a reputation for being good with MG34/42/53 when it comes to setting them up for blank firing for reenactments or exhibitions.I am not a reenactor but have collected for some thirty plus years and am quite active at shows and auctions giving me a very good contact base within NZ.

I feel we do enjoy some very good firearms legislation and we are fortunate to have the liberty's that we do when compared to many other nations world wide.(Sorry Cptdarling you may not see it this way but I think the reality is be thankful for what we do have and make the most of it)

MG34NZ
K98dkmauser
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by K98dkmauser »

yep im movin to new zealand :lol: :mrgreen:
cptdarling506

Post by cptdarling506 »

That's when our troubles began mg34nz, comparing our gun laws to other countries.
So you'd remember the "life time" red booklet gun licence? When the person, not the guns were
approved. We had the best, most common sense laws back in the 80's. Until the typical backlash of
emotion driven feelgood laws created to solve the future actions of a madman.
cptdarling506

Post by cptdarling506 »

K98dkmauser wrote:yep im movin to new zealand :lol: :mrgreen:
And you bring all your guns with you too!
Some paper work required but it can be done.
mg34nz
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by mg34nz »

cptdarling506 wrote:That's when our troubles began mg34nz, comparing our gun laws to other countries.
So you'd remember the "life time" red booklet gun licence? When the person, not the guns were
approved. We had the best, most common sense laws back in the 80's. Until the typical backlash of
emotion driven feelgood laws created to solve the future actions of a madman.
I still have my red book with the endorsment pasted into the back stating that the endorsement holder my posses pistols and restricted weapons for the purpose of sale or display or words to that effect, I even have permits to posses unlawful weapons which predate operation foresight and the little red booklet.Sadly we nor the rest of the world are still in the 1980's and realistically for a collector nothing really changed other than a ten year licence as opposed to a lifetime one (that one still hurts).Keep smiling and think positive :D
Pug42
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by Pug42 »

We can own but not fire full auto's, except if using blanks for movie stuff, a sub category of the "C" collectors licence.
Can have semi autos in "military style"( "E") or in "sporting configuration"("A").
Cptdarling - that seems liberal to me, ok maybe not compared to how it used to be for you guys, but I can only own a deactivated full auto, or shoot blanks through a hired example from a Section 5 Armourer at reenactments or private battles (they qualify as 'theatrical' use for the hiring to be legal).

From what I hear from other reenactors worldwide, Australia seems to be the worst place to be, from the point of view of owning any kind of firearm/replica, even deactivated...?
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf
cptdarling506

Post by cptdarling506 »

Aussie is real bad, they don't even allow the airsoft BB type of toy to be owned!
There different states allow ownage of bolt actions and shotties, no semi's or pumps!
There are a few collectors with MG's etc but its a major job to get the licence.
The UK was real good once, you had semi Brens, etc but emotion driven reactive laws to
a few shootings ended all that.
You want odd, here, the police don't accept deactivated weapons, if it once was a working real firearm, even with welded action/barrel, it's still considered a firearm. But you can own a pot metal replica of any firearm with no licence.
mg34nz
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by mg34nz »

You want odd, here, the police don't accept deactivated weapons, if it once was a working real firearm, even with welded action/barrel, it's still considered a firearm.[/quote]

Seriously that is because they know full well we would be out with the tools and reactivating them as fast as we could...industrious bunch that we are!