Rough life

Anything MG34 related.
Reichpapers
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Rough life

Post by Reichpapers »

Does anyone here have to tote around an MG34 for reenactments? OR plan to. A few years back a group I was part of was trying to assemble an MG team....We used to run drills to practice setup of the MG...at that time I was carrying a dummy gun with aluminum receiver....even with that it was soooo heavy...I could only imagine how the vets drug them around day after day.
ak47dennis

Post by ak47dennis »

I can’t even imagine dragging one of these around on the eastern front!!
After only 8-10 hours of carrying my 42 at the F.I.G event I was beat!!
When we got back to barracks I just veggied till I was able to hoist a few.
I have decided that never again will I use either pig (34 or 42) for a tactical event will take
the 38a or ppsh.
Intruder196
Major
Major

Post by Intruder196 »

I carry a TNW MG34 to reenactments and yes it does wear me out. I found that the best way to carry it is hang it horizontally, upside down by the sling on my right shoulder. I've seen alot of WW2 photos of German soldiers carrying it exactly this way as well.
I used to use the straps in either hand, right side up, but discovered that walking long distances that way really wears out upper body strength. Same with trying to hoof it at a port arms position.
Once I carried it on top of my shoulders without using a sling. Big mistake. My shoulders ached for three days after that event.

I prefer using the assault drums and usually have a No2 man carry one drum carrier with two extra drums.