MG34 Range report. Its been a while. 8*)

Anything MG34 related.
ScottD
Major
Major

MG34 Range report. Its been a while. 8*)

Post by ScottD »

After getting seriously fed up with all the sear issues I had with my 34, I put her on the shelf and havnt touched her in about a year. Last time I took her out I did some mods and swore that if it didnt work, I was going to cut it up and sell it as the pitted, crusty POS she really is. Well, Im happy to tell my mods worked....(More on that n a minute)

I got to the range last Friday and all but 2 lanes were full. Everybody was blasting away. I took out my gear, nobody noticed, but when I pulled the 34 from the truck the shooting tempo slowed down a bit. When I opened the top cover and started cycling her and throwing in some oil, half the range stopped....but when I pulled the 50 round belt from the drum, the place went dead silent. One guy says "What the HELL is that"...I just looked at him and said "its just a little something I threw together. Dont you mind me.".

Anyways, I fired off several 10 and 15 round strings at a tempo of 1 round every second. Other than 3 light primer strikes at first, she ran fine. Running Romy surplus and some Yugo brass case just to make sure.

Mods: I had to SERIOUSLY modify the collar that goes between the return spring and the bolt. I had to notch the collar to clear the sear, and then add (weld)2 small ears to the bolt and notch the collar to prevent the collar from rotating and blocking the sear again. My 2 biggest problems were 1) a shitty old kit with 3 different receiver chunks and 2) tolerance stacking. These guns are built to take NO more than .005 tolerance. When you fluff the trigger roller, the sear door, the receiver itself, there is just WAY too much opportunity to go outside that boundary. I only got mine to work because I have an intimate knowledge of crew served weapons (by trade) and a I honestly believe that a dremel and a gasless welder are precision tools. :lol:

Thanks for all yer help guys.

Oh, and as far as accuracy......she was shooting high and left at 100 yards. My groups were about 5 inches....not bad seeing how I was just function testing and not really worrying about sight picture.
My soultion for everything "Get a bigger hammer or larger caliber!"
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: MG34 Range report. Its been a while. 8*)

Post by 42rocker »

Great, Glad to hear the range report.... Now I need to start mine someday..

Later 42rocker
mgfun
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by mgfun »

ScottD
How is your trigger pull? Did you do any mods to the basic TNW fcg to get it running?
Regarrds,
mgfun
mgfun
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

Now that is 315’er rugged individualism. 8) :lol:

OUTSTANDING JOB SCOTT, I felt bad for you when you gave up on her last year.
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

mgfun wrote:ScottD
How is your trigger pull? Did you do any mods to the basic TNW fcg to get it running?
Regarrds,
mgfun
Trigger pull sucks. You need both fingers to make it go boom. I really cant believe after all this time that no one has come up with a better semi design.
My soultion for everything "Get a bigger hammer or larger caliber!"
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

I don't know about better,but there is another design,I saw the patent papers posted somewhere when I first got into these.It may even be here in the old posts,maybe it should be looked into.... ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
blackreichswehr
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by blackreichswehr »

the patent and drawings i posted are in this section -- under Buckeye Sports Semi 34 or something to that effect.