Another one put together! Lets see if it works!

Anything MG34 related.
ScottD
Major
Major

Another one put together! Lets see if it works!

Post by ScottD »

Well I got my little sear engagement problem fixed....I just made my own sear. Thats quite a feat with a dremel and a file...Anyways.....It all fits together, it all cycles, the sear drops and resets. I havnt tested feeding and ejection yet but the majority of the big work is done. This is one mixmaster UGLY gun. Pitted parts, mixed bag of parked and blued, Nazi, Russian and Israeli stamps. If it works, Ill be amazed. If this thing could talk and tell me where it been.....

Oh, and if it could talk, it would tell me this TNW trigger setup sucks. Does the trigger just lay in the pistol grip and flop around? I done see any return springs or anything. Did I miss something on reassembly? The trigger doesnt seem to have any reset as well, so IM gonna assume it just gets kicked forward at the bolt travels over the hammer bar?
My soultion for everything "Get a bigger hammer or larger caliber!"
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Re: Another one put together! Lets see if it works!

Post by www.Prussia.us »

Scott,

This is turning out like one of those "A-Team" episodes where BA had to go and fabricate something from nothing without any help :lol:

Your sense of adventure is laudable, I never had the balls to tackle another ’34 on my own after my receiver had worse warping than a Bavarian pretzel. :shock:

Snap some pics please, we have not had a ’34 documented in AGES.

As an for it being an "ugly” gun, that is impossible, the Mg34 is incapable of being ugly its even a classy de-mill.
:D
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

No, trust me, this is one ugly gun......Like that old muscle car down the street. Half primer, half bondo, one new painted quarter panel and bald tires. Im sure it will make noise and occasionally run down the street but it will never be a daily driver. But its still an old muscle car and not some import store bought POS! Its funny that you say a 34 build hasnt been documented here in forever. This forum seems to have about 10 active members and most others just watch and comment about the 'great deals' they found on gunbroker. Ive been asking some pretty technical questions lately and not many seem to know the answers and fewer seem to actually answer them. Im convinced that very few people actually handbuild a 34 anymore. Ill try and post a pic here soon but my digital camera is on its last leg.

Cool. The pic worked. I pulled the pistol grip off again to look at the trigger. I still cant believe it just lays in the grip with no return springs. I must be missing something or my rollers must be really off, but it just flops around when its fully assembled. Looks like Ill be inventing something to correct that too.......

Something doesnt seem right with my feed tray. Also feel like Im missing a spacer or something. It just doesnt seem secure enough.

So I figured out what I love about this gun. It looks like a late 30's German Bomber. Sharp, pointy with awkward angles and curves where there should be flats.....
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

Nice pic, I still don't think she is ugly. I see you point about a 1930's German bomber, I always say these old guns are art, when you can stare at something and marvel-it is art.

I think most people are either still sitting on their '34 kits, traded them for '42 parts, or recently had project guns do them, few guys have done or are doing what you are taking on, it is one of the hardest builds.
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
flemgunner
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by flemgunner »

Yeah I decided to have Pirate do my welding. I just wasnt there in my welding skills for it. Good job on getting it together so far, cant wait to get mine then I can figure out how it goes together again :mrgreen:
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Most of us here have more experiance with the 42/53,mostly because of the receiver problem,and also the big influx of the cheap yugo kits.Many of the parts are made as repros and at relatively reasonable prices.As for the 34,the prices are up there and the receivers are a bear to do right,receiver parts are harder to come by,and no 308 conversion.There was a larger 34 contingent here a few years ago,but there were some misunderstandings and hard feelings,and some of the better material and pictures 'went away'. :( That said,getting a 34 to run correctly is quite a feat,congratulations.I think the reason you don't get as many answers as you like is that we just don't know! I have a bunch of these I would like to get up and running,and am having one receiver done for me before I try my own.BTW,I have one of those old muscle cars you describe-it is not a daily driver,but when it does get out,stock prices for Goodyear go up! :lol: Light 'em up! ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

Ill be honest with you, Ill be surprised if this gun ever runs reliably. Im expecting issues. I really think the trigger sucks and the sear design is its weak point. Welding the receiver is only half the work. That bolt machining was a mo'fracker...But the fact that Ive done all this work, I have a weapon that cycles, the hammer drops, everything runs. Its complete and Its part of my collection. Even if it doesn't run well, its still a part of history that Ive parted together.

I need a feed tray. Whos got one?
rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

And you should be proud of it... Congrats

For the feed tray see Brain @ BRP ... I have a couple guns/kits I'm waiting to get together as well soon as Pirate gets done with them the parts I sent him I'll keep ya all informed on how they go together & function... :cross: