Sould I dummy up my trashed receiver?

Anything MG34 related.
ScottD
Major
Major

Sould I dummy up my trashed receiver?

Post by ScottD »

Guys, Ive been slowly coming to terms that my torch cut receiver is trashed. My plans of a semi build are crushed. :oops: The more time I spend with it, the more of a lost cause I realize it is. (Some of you may remember the cuts right thru the bbl stud area. ) Heres my Question?.....

Im thinking about backing up the cuts with some metal stock and welding her back together as a dummy gun. (no legal worries, Ill be sure to make bolt insertion impossible) Am I committing some sin? There are no visible markings left on the receiver and it is fairly pitted. The only section worth saving would be the rear (threads are intact) but Id rather have a display gun than 100 bucks for the rear section and a bag of parts.....

This is killing me.......what should I do?
My soultion for everything "Get a bigger hammer or larger caliber!"
rocco1911

Re: Sould I dummy up my trashed receiver?

Post by rocco1911 »

Hold out for a receiver in the near future they will be coming out of there closets before ya know it & soon you will be seeing them for sale with the economy on the brink of a nose dive just hold out a bit longer Trust me there are hundreds of guys that bought these with plans of doing nothing with them that will need funds & you will score a great one patience
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Re: Sould I dummy up my trashed receiver?

Post by www.Prussia.us »

That is excellent advice Rocco,

Scott before you muck it up please consider, just saving up and buying a front section they are out there $100-$150, or if the rest of it is really bad then wait until some guy has to liquidate and dumps a whole receiver and then use the one you have now for filler.

If you really want it at least to be a decent display, then consider filling in the de-mill schism with puddy, spray paint it, put it on the shelf, and then when it comes time to cut that sucker for filler it is ready.

In the mean time save as much as you can, or
If you are a gambling man......... wait until the coast is clear on gunbroker when nobody else is selling a '34 parts kit with receiver pieces, try to sell it for around $1k+ and then be ready the next time a really nice one turns up...
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864