Got my kit today. The good, bad and the UGLY

Anything MG34 related.
ScottD
Major
Major

Got my kit today. The good, bad and the UGLY

Post by ScottD »

My '34 kit came in today and I thought Id share my findings.

The good- BBL condition is very good, maybe one or two visible pits, maybe just dirt. Overall bright and shiny. The receiver sections all seem to mate up well with only one small area where the gap appears more that about 1/8th of an inch. The front section was cut from just above the 'bbl stud', almost horizontally and then down. The cams are intact and only seen to have been touched by a bit of slag. To my untrained eye, this appears to be a salvagable receiver. (by a skilled welder, of course, not by me....)

The bad- there is a little exterior staining on the bbl and the bbl shroud. There are VERY FEW Waffens and there is a big star of David on the bbl shroud. (testament to its history, I guess.....) I actually found a few Hebrew proof marks....never seen them before.

The UGLY. The receiver was originally fairly well pitted on the outside...it was then reparked. Even with lots of sandblasting, the receiver will still show plenty of pitting when refinished. The metal on the buttstock assy is also heavily pitted. The feed tray is pitted and bent and full of rust and may need replacing.

I paid 750 for this kit, which I feel even with a the pitting is well worth the price. My only real concern is that front cut. the metal there at one point is about 3/4 deep and is gonna take some skill to fill.

Input? Lemme know what you guys think.....
My soultion for everything "Get a bigger hammer or larger caliber!"
Michael J

Re: Got my kit today. The good, bad and the UGLY

Post by Michael J »

Thinking you might need an IMA rear to help fill your gap(s). I'm sure if you had your heart bent on removing the hebrew "stains", you could just buff them out? Pitting ain't so bad, its like battle scarring and being pre-aged :lol: ! Maybe just drop the feedtray in a small tray of gas/deisel/mineral spirits/wd-40 or something else usable in removing rust. Unless you've got some really cancerous rust, i'm sure your feedtray will still be savable. Or maybe just take it to a wire brush, or wire wheel?

[(O)]
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

Given the paucity of '34 sets, except getting a lucky break some place, it sounds like you did okay. :D

I agree with Michael, much of the cosmetic stuff can be dealt with, but I feel your pain about the lack of waffenamts. A little buffing can go along way. 8)

If the barrel shroud is really bad, check out sarco. They use to have stripped barrel jackets at a good price, maybe you could get one looking more German and sell the one you have on GB.

Otherwise good work getting a '34 before the rapture makes it impossible to build the semi receiver. :shock:
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

I may need a filler section, Ill let Pirate decide when he gets it. Im sure I will, but maybe he has some scraps laying around he can use before I go buying one.

Feed tray is almost perforated in places. Thats the least of my worries.....I just wanna get her started. I need to get this thing weleded together on a budget!
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

[(O)]
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

Settle down Darvus! I just got it home tonigt! Havnt even cleaned the cosmo out of my fingernails yet! Its currently held together with zip ties! Once I get it cleaned up and suitably displayed (before I send it out to get welded) and Ill take some pics!!!!!!!!
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Don't worry,he always posts that.More pictures=less reading! :? ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

So what your saying here bil is we need to use big print less words & pictures for DA I get it now :lol:
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

So Im still looking at my options for reweld. Ive found a guy who welds professionally, but I need a jig. Pirate seems to be out of them. Anybody got a '34 welding jig for rent or sale?
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

But Bil.... Pictures are worth 1000 words ya know.

We WANT :photos:
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

ok stop goofing off and find me a welding jig!!

Now, as per special request, I post a picture.....

So, Ive sent these pics on to Pirate for his opinion....you guys think the front section is repairble? Cams are untouched, its just the cut goes almost horizontaly thru the back of the bbl stud. The other piece mates up nicely so there isnt a huge gap. If this thing isnt repairable Im gonna flip!

UPDATE

Well I just spoke to Pirate....he said its shot. What am I gonna do now!!??
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

I've never seen a cut like that.Keep looking,there are more out there.Although with the sale recentlt of the receiver pieces without the front,that will be a harder piece to find.All is not lost though,the stud is a salable item for someone to finish a TNW receiver.I thing that is where all the fronts went. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

Yeah, in the meanwhile Im gonna dummy it up. I sure wish I had a jig to make sure it all lined up. May not be able to shoot it, but at least lined up......CMON somebody lend me their Jig!!!!!
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

ScottD wrote:ok stop goofing off and find me a welding jig!!

Now, as per special request, I post a picture.....

:shock: Oh my GAWD that is Hideous! :puk:
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
timdp
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by timdp »

Just got a complete barrel shroud from Sarco and they are ex-Israeli and parkerized, not blued.

tim
www.Prussia.us wrote:Given the paucity of '34 sets, except getting a lucky break some place, it sounds like you did okay. :D

I agree with Michael, much of the cosmetic stuff can be dealt with, but I feel your pain about the lack of waffenamts. A little buffing can go along way. 8)

If the barrel shroud is really bad, check out sarco. They use to have stripped barrel jackets at a good price, maybe you could get one looking more German and sell the one you have on GB.

Otherwise good work getting a '34 before the rapture makes it impossible to build the semi receiver. :shock: