How hard is a semi 34 build from a demil receiver?

Anything MG34 related.
ScottD
Major
Major

How hard is a semi 34 build from a demil receiver?

Post by ScottD »

Well, Im getting the itch again. Ive been looking at a few MG34 kits and was wondering how hard it is to weld up the receiver. Lets remember that all I have is a Harbor freight MIG welder and a dremel. My 42 came out fine, but the welds are visibly amature. This build looks a little more welding intensive. Any input?
My soultion for everything "Get a bigger hammer or larger caliber!"
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Re: How hard is a semi 34 build from a demil receiver?

Post by Bil »

I would go to Pirates site and check out his tutorial.It shows what you would be up against.His new jig will help make it a little easier,but as you can see from some recent posts,it is easy to get these builds out of spec-they are harder to correct than the 42.It also makes a diferance if you get good receiver pieces.If you don't feel comfortable with this direction,there is always the TNW semi receiver.Even though it is 'done' ,it still requires a bit of fiddling to get it to work right-see TCs thread.Hope this helps. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

I went to the TNW site.....I couldnt find prices.....I shudder to think what their receiver will cost. Any guesses?
tomcatshaas
General
General

Post by tomcatshaas »

ScottD wrote:I went to the TNW site.....I couldnt find prices.....I shudder to think what their receiver will cost. Any guesses?
$1695. group buy on Weaponeer.

http://www.weaponeer.net/productcart/pc ... roduct=135

TC
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

The Weaponeer group buy is the best deal in town, I think included in that are the bolt/trigger semi parts (retail $180 + $17s/h from TNW--yes six ouces of parts cost you $17 to ship :? ); but I would want to know if they are the original batch of receivers that took some work, and had some that were out of spec. Anyone that has talked to Lonnie (Sherman) can hear his horror story of his TNW receiver, after nearly 20 hours of filing he sent it back, I have mentioned this before on a different thread, he did have one that I think was serial number 17, 27, I do not quite recall now, it was one of the early ones, that notwithstanding for the price ZERO receivers sold should have had problems.

Good luck getting a response from Weaponeer if you e-mail them, but before dropping that cash you want to make sure you are not buying a problem. Furthermore a buyer might also want to check to see if they would be getting the updated lighter trigger-pull semi-mod.
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

$1695 for a receiver!! Oh HELLLLLLLLLLL no. I dont care if it comes with the entire German bikini team and Hitlers DNA profile. That is obscene. I just need a new project for now, and Ive had several failures in the last few months, so Im gettin depressed. Maybe I should take up knitting........
Orion Arms

Post by Orion Arms »

hey scott,
where are you seeing these kits? i am in need of one.
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

Orion try Brian over at BRPGuns.com (if you have not already) he might be willing to parts with one. But on Gunbroker some good deals for '34s have been up for auction in the past 2 months.

ScottD, knitting,,,hmmmm???? I don't know, better check with Gov. Patterson that might be illegal in NY also. You know those needles look a lot like weapons :lol:
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

Oh no, its ok. I registered my knitting needles last week. Besides, Patterson cant see them anyways... :D
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by JBaum »

Considering the work involved, and the precision required, $1,695 for the receiver is not a bad price.

No offense here, but building an MG34 is something that you need to successfully work your way up to .... It's at the top of the gun building pyramid, and if you've had difficulty building other things, then this one isn't the project you need to build confidence.

Successfully building an MG34 is more of a challenge because the receiver is a solid block of steel that has been machined with a lot of slots that need to be in perfect alignment and completely smooth for the gun to work. This isn't a project for someone with very limited tools and experience.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
Orion Arms

Post by Orion Arms »

www.Prussia.us wrote:Orion try Brian over at BRPGuns.com (if you have not already) he might be willing to parts with one. But on Gunbroker some good deals for '34s have been up for auction in the past 2 months.

ScottD, knitting,,,hmmmm???? I don't know, better check with Gov. Patterson that might be illegal in NY also. You know those needles look a lot like weapons :lol:

great lead thank you.
Pirate
General
General

Post by Pirate »

A mg34 build from a reweld is a challenge and I wouldn't recommend it for everyone. I am in the process of getting an 07 license and will be offering reweld / build services in a couple of monts
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

That will be a welcome service-but now what will I do with the jig I got? :D Glad to see you taking this step-keep us posted. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

Pirate, I think that is outstanding :D

I know way too many disparate receiver pieces out there with the Humpty-Dumpty syndrome, that is, waiting to be put back together. Your tutorial and jigs are outstanding for those that are gifted with the skills and equipment to complete it, but for the least of us, it is beyond our reach.

But now if you get a work shop going, that would change everything
:mrgreen:

Pirate
General
General

Post by Pirate »

it is all in the works, llc papers have been filed, lease is signed, we hope to get in the place sometime next week. all the paperwork for the city and county is filled out and waiting on getting posession of the wearhouse. once we have the local licenses the batf forms will be in the mail.
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

I guess this is why they went from a precision milled receiver to a simple formed metal one.......Even back then they realized that manufacturing the 34 was a PITA. Thanks guys. I gotta get back to knitting class........