MG42/MG3/M53 Front End

Looking for something? Ask here.
Pacficblue

MG42/MG3/M53 Front End

Post by Pacficblue »

IHello from Guam.
'm looking for the front 3 to 6 inches of barrel shroud and the barrel bushing for an MG42/53. The kit I bought years ago was butchered beyond belief.
SHARPSSHOOTER5090
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Re: MG42/MG3/M53 Front End

Post by SHARPSSHOOTER5090 »

I have a front 6 inches but no barrel bushing. PM me if interested.

SS
SHARPSSHOOTER5090
CRUSADER
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by CRUSADER »

Any of these sections help you out? The sections that are still blued (lower two in the photo) are pretty long - the rear sight base is intact, but the barrel gate is missing. The bushings in both are 100%.

Sd.kfz.173
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Sd.kfz.173 »

Hey Crusader, what would you have to have for the bottom one ??????? PM me if you would be interested in parting with it.

Bill :read:
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Questions-what are the difs between them-sight mounts are not the same,and what are the holes and 'depressions' for on the top? I am thinking an early method of staking the bearing,but does anyone know for sure? Thanks. ---bil PS-it is probably in the real good receiver research thread somewhere. :?
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
CRUSADER
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by CRUSADER »

Bil, as I understand it, the sections that are still blued are from an early weapon. I have the complete receiver - it has waffenampts, but it isn't dated. The markings read like this:

M.U.
2687i
dtb

As time went on, the Germans looked for methods to simplify production....and the result is what we see in the bead blasted sections. They are from a later gun. It's markings read like this:

MG42
7435a
cra

These sections are 100% German MG42, by the way - obviously not Yugo. These front sections come from 100% complete receiver kits I bought during the past few years. I don't need them for my builds because I also have a few barrel jackets that were not cut at the front sight. Using them instead will greatly simplify my welding.

Also - keep in mind that there were quite a few outfits stamping out and building receivers. They each may have used stightly different techniques and it is likely that they each developed their own 'short cuts'. For instance, I have another barret jacket that has the 'later' front sight ears and the 'early' style of bushing attachment.

Sd.kfz.173 .... ohhh boy .... I posted these photos to try to help out our new member 'Pacificblue' .... ummmmm, let's give him 5 days to respond, ok? If he doesn't want either section, then you are next. Sound fair? :D
Sd.kfz.173
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Sd.kfz.173 »

Sounds good to me CRUSADER :thumbs: ...didn't mean to sound TOO greedy :oops:

rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

Sd.kfz.173 wrote:Sounds good to me CRUSADER :thumbs: ...didn't mean to sound TOO greedy :oops:

Hey all is fair in war and snatchin much needed gun parts.... :lol: