WTB 3 cut reciever

Looking for something? Ask here.
VonRundstedt

WTB 3 cut reciever

Post by VonRundstedt »

Doing a semi build, need to locate reasonable non-butchered demil reciever with all pieces. Old saw cut would be paradise, but not likely to find one, so any reasonably good 3 cut torch job not done by a sasquatch will be cool. Would like to be able to reweld and use all original reciever pieces, but repairs of front threads and rear buffer lock tabs is expected. Dates or Mfr not important, getting Yugo M53 internals. Send pics and price to roberts@darkstarprods.com thanks..

Remember, it's not just a gun, it's a statement.
sdk1968
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Re: WTB 3 cut reciever

Post by sdk1968 »

Von,

hello stranger.

be patient and a 3 cut will turn up in a day or two on here.....
say what you mean & mean what you say
VonRundstedt

Post by VonRundstedt »

I know, just thought I'd throw out the word I'm looking.
sdk1968
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by sdk1968 »

hear you been hanging over at the 50 board... how goes things there?
VonRundstedt

Post by VonRundstedt »

Honestly? It's a good time to get a buy on a nice .50 cal. Whatever the "vast right wing conspiracy" had in mind must be working, because nowdays the only guys that can afford to go blasting off belts of $3 a round ammo are dudes like me with reloading presses and the cash to buy .60 cent brass and .35 cent bullets in 1000 lots. There's a lot of guys getting out, a lot more with thier guns parked in the safe, and few if any builds happening. They've really knocked the steam out of the .50 belt fed movement bad, and it's a sad time indeed. I'm trying to round up another M3 / M2 hybrid gun build before some genius in Congress finally gets HR 1022 moving and puts it ALL out of business in one swoop. Anything worth doing is better done twice.

Meantime, I've discovered these little pieces of German engineering genius called MG42's, and I'm working on putting 2 together, one in original 8mm and one with MG3 parts to shoot .308, which is the gun I'm looking for a reciever to build on now. I find the level of ingenuity in this gun absolutely fascinating, and the fact that the Wehrmacht was actually somewhat insulted by it's "crude" construction totally hilarious. It's the old mechanic / machinist in me. I admire mechanical genius, and MG42 is pure genius. So, I gotta have a couple.
gdmoore28
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by gdmoore28 »

OOOHHH---VonRundstedt --

I LIKE your writing style! It's always a happy time when someone new with great writing skills comes onboard. So, may I extend a heartfelt Welcome To The Trenches!

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

Looking forward to more from your pen, sir . . . .

And be sure to post pics of the progress on your MG42/M53 project. WE LIKE PICS, don't we DA?

GeeDeeEmm
" The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government . . . . When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
sdk1968
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by sdk1968 »

ive know Von for quite a while........... im just not sure he has placed me yet with this name...

hey VON.. think back: DUTIGAF sound familiar??
762x51
Oberst
Oberst

Post by 762x51 »

Welcome back VonRundstedt....

I'll just :***: while I wait.......... :welcome:
"It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it." Gen. R.E. Lee CSA
Skype ID: ACE1100
VonRundstedt

Post by VonRundstedt »

Thanks GDM..I'm not accustomed to such warm welcomes. But then again, you haven't had time to understand my revolutionary nature and purist Jeffersonian constitutionalist beliefs. I'm sure I'll get somebody all P-O'd over here. I do tend to rant.

Although, I have promised myself not to rant on this board. I'll try not to let grim reality sneak into our fun. Am I a hippocrite for admiring a Nazi weapon? I must think on that one awhile...

So 7.62, don't hold your breath. But do enjoy your popcorn.

Anyway, I got big time lucky with my first reciever, 1942, all the pieces clean, and the torch man was in a good mood that day as he left a minimum of missing material, hardly any slag to grind, and completely missed the front threads and rear lock tabs AND left the Mfr stamp on the rear piece untouched. That one's getting the 8mm innerds. This latest one is a Yugo parts kit, and I got all the MG3 stuff together over the past few months, so now I want to put a .308 cal "MG3" together too.

I'll take pics as soon as I have something pretty enough to show off.
VonRundstedt

Post by VonRundstedt »

Oh, I'm sorry...HI DUTI

What's new?
sdk1968
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by sdk1968 »

Hey Von.

same old stuff here bub.

lets get to that 42..

i love mine so much that ive got 2!! lmao thats whats gonna happen to you...

now about that Nazi ???

bub, it is a great weapon and really is the benchmark for FA guns. gives me chills just thinking of what my family members went thru on those beaches in '44.

as much fun as these are in semi, you just cant truly appr'd one until you run thru a belt in FA!! the smoothness of this gun, with all that power in the 8mm and the speed is just incredible.

im fortunate enough to have people like Heckinohio around who have huge collections of these types of guns and get to compare lots of the stuff...

i love my 50bmg & 1919..... but they just dont have the FEEL of a MG42.

oh and they have never burnt me like a 42 either. :D
VonRundstedt

Post by VonRundstedt »

Everything in mechanical engineering is a trade-off. For everything you gain, you must compromise or lose something else, otherwise the size of the total package would be insanely huge to accomodate ALL requirements.

I find pure genius in the design of the MG42. I've held it up in discussions to people as one of the benchmarks of European engineering on the level of Ducati motorcycles, Jaguar automobiles, Formula One racecars, things which display truly original thinking and innovation and are so perfect in thier purpose that thier form, even though following pure function, still ends up as art.

The M1919A4 is turn of the century, machine age engineering. It's rate of fire is moderate. It's clunky, boxy, heavy, and has to perform way too many motions internally to get the job done (being a modification of the Hiram Maxim extract-drop-feed design). It is in every way imaginable a huge brick of steel which every infantry machine gunner must have cursed continually while humping it up the long roads of Europe.

That is until he had it dug in on it's pod and faced the oncoming enemy. Then, all that steel showed it's worth. You can fire the 1919 until it glows. You can maintain fire in the direction of the enemy for longer periods than any other machine gun. And the ability to throw lead at the people trying to kill you for longer than they can throw it at you is the decisive element in modern infantry combat. The .50 Browning has the same exact trade offs..it's a load of steel. But if you got ammo, nothing is going to penetrate your area for as long as you can fire the weapon. And you can fire the weapon for a long time.

The MG42 is pure engineering genius, the model for all light machine guns to come, and still used by many armies as MG3. It is light, it has a blistering fire rate, it fires a hellishly powerful round, mobility is above everything, and the barrel change out and field strip are masterpieces of thought in design. The weapon, by modern standards, is a masterpiece. So how did anyone ever get past an MG42 nest?

Inability to sustain fire. Heat. Ripping gigantic 7.92mm rounds through it at over 1000 rpm wiped out the barrel at a fatal rate. Oh sure, it was hell on earth downrange for a minute or so..but then the Nazi gunner has to let his weapon cool, throw water on it, or change the screaming hot barrel in battle. This proved fatal in a lot of cases. Great, you've splattered 1/3 of the opponents charging at you, but now the gun is down for that critical few moments it takes to rain grenades in on your head. The remaining 2/3 of your attackers are now just really pissed off.
And we all know what happens to that "aim and burst..tick of short bursts" training when 300 really angry trained killers are coming at you. Your MG42 melts, the really Angry Americans stomp you into mud, and move on.

The 42 is brilliant, but I see it as a close in defensive weapon where speed and the ability to jump from target to target matters most. And it's intimidating RRIIIPP will keep everybodys' heads down. But if I were dug in and overlooking 2000 yds of terrain and had to defend it against a mass of attackers over an extended period? Put a .50 cal and a 1919 in my gun pit. I'll hold that hill indefinitely.

Correcting the sustainability issues of the 42 would take away all of it's advantages..slow down the ROF, heavy up the barrel, make the whole package more robust, and then lose all that intimidating firepower and mobility. Basically, take all the flaws away from the MG42 and lose all it's advantages and make a big heavy load of it with a 650 rpm fire rate and what do you get? An M60. So it's an engineering trade off, but one of the most ingenious ones I've ever seen.
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

Well put “vonRundstedt.”

Furthermore it is always good to have another Jeffersonian Constitutionalist on board. Whilst we try to relegate the political banter to the appropriate sections it does occasionally seep out in other parts, but everyone here seems quite civil.
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
VonRundstedt

Post by VonRundstedt »

I thank you sir..indeed, we shall try to uphold civility. Until of course barbaric brutality becomes the only option.
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

Check the For Sale, “FS” section of this site.
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
VonRundstedt

Post by VonRundstedt »

Indeed! And before long, a nice guy with a reciever came by...what a great board you got here!
So I got one lined up...wow, that didn't take long.
Hotel Echo

Post by Hotel Echo »

Von,

Damn, wish you had said you were looking for one when you told me at M2hb that you had the 42 itch. I recently sold a three cut not too long ago!
gdmoore28
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by gdmoore28 »

VonRundstedt wrote:Indeed! And before long, a nice guy with a reciever came by...what a great board you got here!
So I got one lined up...wow, that didn't take long.
Hey Von--

How about a pic or two of the receiver you acquired, and the parts kit you intend to use. It'd be most interesting to get a visual of what you are starting out with.

[(O)]

GeeDeeEmm
" The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government . . . . When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson