10 round belt.

Looking for something? Ask here.
NickD
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter
Anti-spam: Mg42

10 round belt.

Post by NickD »

Okay, I live in the dyslexic State of California. I'm looking for a 10 round belt or someone who wouldn't mind cutting down a belt into 5-10 round beltts, or has a belt that maybe that has some bad links towards the end, that don't mind cutting it down to a ten round belt for me and shipping it to California. I love the weather and the geography here in this state, but the government is Looney.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 10 round belt.

Post by 42rocker »

And a starter tab holds 3 rounds. Do they count that in a possible belt of ten rounds?
I would hope not. Are you going to be shooting 8mm or 308?

Later 42rocker
NickD
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by NickD »

42rocker wrote:And a starter tab holds 3 rounds. Do they count that in a possible belt of ten rounds?
I would hope not. Are you going to be shooting 8mm or 308?

Later 42rocker

Yeah that's a good question, but knowing this state they probably do count it so I guess 7 would be fine unless I open the top cover and place the first round in without the starter tab.

I would be using 8mm.
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

With a belt, the first three links (spaces) are left empty, so that the belt can be hooked onto the little protruding tab on the right side of the feed tray (Fig. 23, page 19 of H.Dv. 241), which keeps the belt from falling out by gravity while you try to get the top cover closed. This spacing aligns link #4 (which is filled) next to the feed tray so that it will advance and feed when the bolt is allowed to close on the chamber.

So, if it was me, I would cut off half of the first link of a starter tab to stop it from being able to hold a cartridge, but allow it to hook on the tab without falling out, I would flatten or cut off the next two links of the feed tab so that they won't hold a cartridge either, then I would have a belt piece of 10 functional links to put 10 cartridges in. You're allowed a max of 10, and this way you have the usable belt length you need, but it will only hold 10 cartridges. You could repeatedly use the starter tab on several belt pieces as you shoot.

When I say cut off a link, I mean cut off (grinding wheel, dremel wheel, wire cutters) the curved extended parts which protrude below the connecting springs. Instead of a link being open between 7pm and 5pm, make it so that it is open from 8:30pm to 3:30pm. Everything stays together and functions, it just won't hold cartridges, and therefore those non-functional links cannot be used in counting the overall 10 cartridge length allowable.

They make the rules, take advantage of their rules to the maximum if you can :)
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Like the idea of keeping the belt length at 50 and doing the grind out so only 10 can be loaded in a row. Nice idea.
Ok, question can you receive the belt and then grind it before anyone knows or ????
So happen to live in a state does not have those rules. And I/we don't have those problems.

Later 42rocker
NickD
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by NickD »

42rocker wrote:Like the idea of keeping the belt length at 50 and doing the grind out so only 10 can be loaded in a row. Nice idea.
Ok, question can you receive the belt and then grind it before anyone knows or ????
So happen to live in a state does not have those rules. And I/we don't have those problems.

Later 42rocker
No, I am almost 125% positive we cannot do so here. When I got a Sten mag from this shop in Arizona, they had to put a rivet in it so I could only load 10 rounds.... then they sent it to me.
NickD
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by NickD »

^^^^ .... so I am sure it is not legal here.
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

Yup, not legal for you to do. You'll need to go to Vegas for a weekend with a dremel tool and wire cutters. Make the belt, shoot some full auto while you're there, and go home happy on both counts.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
NickD
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by NickD »

JBaum wrote:Yup, not legal for you to do. You'll need to go to Vegas for a weekend with a dremel tool and wire cutters. Make the belt, shoot some full auto while you're there, and go home happy on both counts.

Eup! =)