WTB: MG42 bolt marked AR original German WW2

Looking for something? Ask here.
ajmdreammg42
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

WTB: MG42 bolt marked AR original German WW2

Post by ajmdreammg42 »

Well guys I guess experience is a good teacher. Just blew my MG42 bolt head in half with some turkish ammo, now I read about how that ammo is too hot for the gun, DUH ! My gun is a CRA MFG and I think the bolt was correct one marked AR , maybe original but there was no serial numbers on it. So I am looking for a complete or just the bolt head marked AR. It had a phosphate finish to it so I would like to get one to replace it that is exactly the same, anybody got one like that ? I have lots of other MG42 and mg34 parts to trade for it or would buy outright. Thanks for looking

Ok it was NOT a original bolt to the gun, CRA is maget and AR is mauser, either one would due for me.
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: WTB: MG42 bolt marked AR original German WW2

Post by JBaum »

You didn't ask for advice, but I'm going to jump in anyway. :shock:

You shouldn't be shooting a 70 year old bolt. Use an MG3 bolt instead. Old steel that's been under stress of any type can crystalize and shatter as yours did. The ammo may have contributed to it, but it could have just as easily happened anyway. 70 year old steel, made under wartime conditions with bombing and sabotage going on, and perhaps improper heat treatment and steel/nickel/chrome shortages, is not going to be the best choice for use when it's not necessary.

MG3 (modern) bolts are available from the usual parts dealers for reasonable money. Glad you didn't have it shatter and blow the gun.

Save some grief and shoot with an MG3 bolt (or bolt head for a semi). Save the antiques for show and tell.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
ajmdreammg42
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by ajmdreammg42 »

Sounds like some wise advice, I think I am going to change out what ever I can with yugo parts and keep the German stuff for show and tell, THANKS !
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by JBaum »

A wise decision. :cheer: :cheer:
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com