Original Lafette Straps & Gunners Pouch

Saved for Reference.
David

Original Lafette Straps & Gunners Pouch

Post by David »

Have a friend selling a set of original lafette straps and a gunners pouch on ebay. This is truly a nice set. I know there's some collectors or other folks that may be interested in these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :MESELX:IT

David
cipollinaj
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Re: Original Lafette Straps & Gunners Pouch

Post by cipollinaj »

Auction finished the other day.
It went for over $1100.00 US
Matt
Major
Major

Post by Matt »

who bought them? that is a ton of money for straps!
David

Post by David »

They were purchased by someone out of Canada.
mgfun
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by mgfun »

Is it just me? I see so many uteerly stupid prices for sales and bids through gunbroker, that the schemes are absurd. I mean, what does this accomplish? straps and a pouch for $1100. Really. Since no one on Earth would pay this, your not exactly convincing people of the extreme value of these with this false sale. So what was the point. I saw a reference to a 700+ Bren bipod the other day. Why are these people burning up time and space with this foolishness?

Why doesn't gunbroker set up some sort of structure to give their site some credibility? Lots of real sales are done there. Between scalpers trying to rob the unknowing running there businesses there for free and these bogus sales, the place is a snake pit. It would be a lot nicer with a few rules in place to limit the level of useless trash in that site.

Regards,
Bill
mgfun
David

Post by David »

Way I see it is if someone wants to pay that kind of money for whatever, so be it. Seller gets lucky, then good for him.

It's not like these items started at $1k. They started at a $1. Some folks obviously wanted them. Does it mean all this stuff is automatically $1k? Probably not, but that's what happened.
Matt
Major
Major

Post by Matt »

just because i like oreos doesnt mean the grocery store should have them on sale all the time so I can afford them whenever i want them. militaria is a business for some, a hobby for others, if you can't afford it, get a better job or a cheaper hobby.
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

I believe the point is that the prices supposedly paid on Gunbroker do not reflecdt the actual market value.Nothing to do with Oreos,it would be like a store stocking regular Oreos ,just like other stores.However,this store has people that are either willing to pay much more than the usual prices,or someone is 'selling' these Oreos at inflated prices to drive up values.
Either these are scam sales,or there are suckers that are buying without researching prices.It is well known that if you want to try for big bucks,put it on Gunbroker.If you want to sell to fellow collectors,sell on a trusted site to people you know.Gunbroker has become the Barret-Jackson of guns-prices do not reflect values. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
Matt
Major
Major

Post by Matt »

you did a better job of describing what I was thinking. as like anything in retail the same product can be sold for very different amounts depending on location and the customer base. gunbroker does have high prices but there are good deals there as well. remember ebay in the late 90s and early 00s? you could get good deals and then other times prices would go through the roof. as with any collectible or any item really, it is only worth what someone is willing to pay and that changes constantly.
David

Post by David »

So whose to say what something is worth? Especially in this hobby.
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

I would say it was worth at least $1100 to the person that bought them.To find a better idea of actual value,you would have to check several sites that sell similar items over a period of time,and keep up on what is being paid for them.I try to do that with the mg34s and 42s.Track sales and trends,and see what folks are willing to spend.The straps are not seen as much,on the other hand,there is less call for them.It may be that the buyer saw something we didn't,maybe it was the best set he had seen,maybe the makers marks or stampings were the only ones missing from his collection and he didn't want to take a chance and miss them.I don't know.Maybe he just didn't know what they were worth,they were worth it to him.That is all that counts.In determining price,look at all sales,knock off the top and bottom,and find an average.Long answer to short question,I am glad your friend made out.Making money is still good! :D ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
cipollinaj
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Post by cipollinaj »

...and Bil,
we cant really say its just the one guy who bid too much.
There were 3 bidders over the $1000.00 mark :shock:
jwbf

Post by jwbf »

Thanks for having me to your forum. I look forward to adding some of my limited 34/42 knowledge as well as learn a lot more. The strap set being discussed belonged to me. I assure you it was a real auction, with a happy buyer, and not one false bid. Believe me I was shocked by the final price. Would I pay that much, no. Should I have emailed the high bidder and told him it was too much money, and I would sell them for half the price, probably not. Several years ago, an SA import rpb54 sold for 6k on ebay. I just sold mine for 2k. Auctions just work like that. I wouldn't expect 3k for a panzershcreck. Anyhow, that's my side of the story and I'm stickin' to it.
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

:welcome: :D Welcome aboard! And thanks for the update,cuts down on the speculation!Congrats on the good price,now you can buy more toys! Glad to have you here,enjoy! ---bil