MG42 Spade Grips for Sale.

Saved for Reference.
URAR1004
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

MG42 Spade Grips for Sale.

Post by URAR1004 »

Hey guys I hope life is treating you well. I've been busy so I'm not on the board nearly as much as I used to. I found these home made spade grips on gunbroker they look neat. I think I remember a few guy wanting to build some. Not mine, check it out.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =132124658

Hasta la Pasta!
rocco1911

Re: MG42 Spade Grips for Sale.

Post by rocco1911 »

Hi URAR nice to see you again & thanks for posting this...It gives me some Ideas :mrgreen:
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by JBaum »

Wow, those look pretty crude in the ad.

There was a real set used on a German helicopter offered on Germany's ebay a few years ago. Very nicely made, and you didn't need a dorky plate bolted onto the grip. The spades could be removed and replaced with a standard stock in 10 seconds. I scaled the pictures and drew it in Autocad, then printed it on heavy paper as a test.... fit was excellent. They could be made by laser cutting the sheet metal and tacking it to an original butt cup, two folds, a few tack welds on a tube and a cross bar for the grips to attach to, a tube, rod, and spring for the trigger assembly, a pair of grips, parkerize it - not that much trouble to make the way it was designed by the Germans. I liked the way they had a hinged, vertical trigger bar on the right side. Simple, cheap, and it worked. That's a tough combination to beat.

The originals in the ad sold for $450, but they could be duplicated for very reasonable money if 50 or so were made at the same time. Certainly they'd be less than the $250 in the Gunbroker ad, and would look a lot better too using the original German design.

Nope, not me. I'll make a set for myself some day, but no more making quantity things for sale.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
URAR1004
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by URAR1004 »

rocco1911 wrote:Hi URAR nice to see you again & thanks for posting this...It gives me some Ideas :mrgreen:
Rocco, I hope things are going well for you in the valley of the sun. My family and I moved up here to Utah for a little change. The weather is a lot different than AZ where we were all born a raised. It's weird shoveling snow off the driveway. I was hoping to make it to a build party with you, you've been busy. I did a 1919a4 build party in 2005, it was lots of fun.

I glad the posting helped you with some Ideas that was the intent. I remember a few board members wanting some spades for their SA-42.
URAR1004
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by URAR1004 »

jbaum wrote:Wow, those look pretty crude in the ad.

There was a real set used on a German helicopter offered on Germany's ebay a few years ago. Very nicely made, and you didn't need a dorky plate bolted onto the grip. The spades could be removed and replaced with a standard stock in 10 seconds. I scaled the pictures and drew it in Autocad, then printed it on heavy paper as a test.... fit was excellent. They could be made by laser cutting the sheet metal and tacking it to an original butt cup, two folds, a few tack welds on a tube and a cross bar for the grips to attach to, a tube, rod, and spring for the trigger assembly, a pair of grips, parkerize it - not that much trouble to make the way it was designed by the Germans. I liked the way they had a hinged, vertical trigger bar on the right side. Simple, cheap, and it worked. That's a tough combination to beat.
I thought the Gunborker design could be considered crude, but In my opinion very ingenious. Don't sit back Jbaum start selling a you weld it up SA-42 Spade kit, it sounds like you already have time invested in it. Call pirate at www.projectguns.com see if he could do the work for your or http://www.emachineshop.com. Don't wait this is what's needed to get a California Approved SA-42 add the spades and cut off the grip. If you don't want to do it. Give data to some one who want's to build them, heck give it to the guy with the gunborker ad. Do you have a pictured how it connects to the trigger. Thanks
URAR1004
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by URAR1004 »

jbaum wrote:...... I'll make a set for myself some day, but no more making quantity things for sale.
"If you can dream it, you can do it!" --- Walt Disney 1901to 1966

I figured I leave you with a little Inspiration.
rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

URAR1004 wrote:
rocco1911 wrote:Hi URAR nice to see you again & thanks for posting this...It gives me some Ideas :mrgreen:
Rocco, I hope things are going well for you in the valley of the sun. My family and I moved up here to Utah for a little change. The weather is a lot different than AZ where we were all born a raised. It's weird shoveling snow off the driveway. I was hoping to make it to a build party with you, you've been busy. I did a 1919a4 build party in 2005, it was lots of fun.

I glad the posting helped you with some Ideas that was the intent. I remember a few board members wanting some spades for their SA-42.

I'll let ya know when the next Build party is hosted I think there was talk of one in Colorado soon I think there will be another in Snowflake, AZ this year but not sure ya don't need to build anything just showup & hangout with all the boys is always great as well... I just got back from a dual state one this week in Georgia & Alabama it was great Prexis,GClark,Nightgunner,Britcop,DanDiesel,SDK1968 and a bunch of others were all there we had a ball several guns got built over the week we were there including an mg42 Greg Clark hosted it @ his place I cant wait for the next party... :mrgreen:
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

URAR1004 wrote:
I thought the Gunborker design could be considered crude, but In my opinion very ingenious. Don't sit back Jbaum start selling a you weld it up SA-42 Spade kit, it sounds like you already have time invested in it. Call pirate at http://www.projectguns.com see if he could do the work for your or http://www.emachineshop.com. Don't wait this is what's needed to get a California Approved SA-42 add the spades and cut off the grip. If you don't want to do it. Give data to some one who want's to build them, heck give it to the guy with the gunborker ad. Do you have a pictured how it connects to the trigger. Thanks
My lack of interest in making kits for sale has nothing to do with the work involved, it's how many people would actually buy them.

My reference point is the little gauges that I had made. Lots of people said they wanted them before I had them made, and now that I've sold a whopping 6 sets, I think I've learned my lesson on wrapping up money based on other peoples verbal commitments. I'm certain I'll sell the gauges at Knob Creek in the fall, but putting together even 20 kits for spade grips would take over $100 each, and I'm not wrapping up a few thousand dollars to see if anyone will buy them.

I guess inventory when selling manuals is a bit different, as I only have maybe 10 of each manual sitting here waiting to be sold. If I had them printed 100 at a time at a print shop (minimum order), I'd have thousands of dollars in unsold product sitting here, which is what would happen with the spade grips. Nope, not doing it - not enough profit to make the investment worth the trouble, and I don't have enough time to make just a few as the orders would come in. Maybe when I run out of manuals to translate......

Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

I still want a set of the gauges,but my schedule keeps me away from the post office [besides,I might be recognised there] It will be back to semi-normal next week.I agree,stick to the manuals! ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

Spade grips are in the works. May be in a few months they'll be ready to sell by the guy who's putting them together according to my design.

42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Looking forward to getting mine.

Later 42rocker