Saved for Reference.
salt6
General
General
Anti-spam: Mg42

When buying on the net.

Post by salt6 »

Some tips for buying on the net.

1. Always send your payment or kit to a physical address. No (edit Mail boxes r us type) PO Boxes. Never, never and did I say never?

2. Use a POSTAL money order. It's the same as cash for the addresee. If there is a problem this can get the postal inspectors involved if there is a problem.

3. Never buy anything without a picture.

4. Ensure the seller gives an exact discription of the items for sell.

5. Get a firm shipping quote and shipping date.

6. Ask for insurance. If the shipper won't insure it's on him if it's lost.

7. Use delevery confirmation with a signature. It's a pain but you know it got somewhere.

8. Keep copies of all your correspondence.

salt
Last edited by salt6 on Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

John Newton (1725-1807)

George Orwell

salt6
slowfinger

internet sales

Post by slowfinger »

Well Steve, I have a PO box that I use. I don't want to get robbed on the other hand either. It has worked out ok for me as People seem to know me...Slowfinger 8)
Karbinator

Post by Karbinator »

I only take money orders when I'm selling. It has on occasion caused alarm for some, and
they backed out, but If others are wanting to buy something while I'm waiting for a possible
rubber check to clear, I'm losing the chance to sell.

I too have a PO box, but if you run my given name, it shows EVERYTHING....phone number, physical
address... even an arial photo if you so choose.

With all that, I recently got burned for 300. The guys name, and address checked. it was not a pobox, but
a physical address. He got me and another at the same time.
I always felt a person had to show ID to cash a money order, but I suppose if you had someone elses ID
card, you could run a scam like. I just can't figure out how the address is in his name . At this time, the PD
for that area are getting involved, but the time taken out to involve myself could have been used to make sure
he existed.
I made some really good buys this year on stuff......some expensive. All through email transactions. It really puts
a bad feeling on things once it goes the other direction.
Guys......use precaution.
salt6
General
General

Post by salt6 »

I should have been a little more clear. If it's not a USPS box then you should steer clear.
I have already come;

John Newton (1725-1807)

George Orwell

salt6
PvtJoker

Post by PvtJoker »

Karbinator wrote:I only take money orders when I'm selling. It has on occasion caused alarm for some, and
they backed out, but If others are wanting to buy something while I'm waiting for a possible
rubber check to clear, I'm losing the chance to sell.

I too have a PO box, but if you run my given name, it shows EVERYTHING....phone number, physical
address... even an arial photo if you so choose.

With all that, I recently got burned for 300. The guys name, and address checked. it was not a pobox, but
a physical address. He got me and another at the same time.
I always felt a person had to show ID to cash a money order, but I suppose if you had someone elses ID
card, you could run a scam like. I just can't figure out how the address is in his name . At this time, the PD
for that area are getting involved, but the time taken out to involve myself could have been used to make sure
he existed.
I made some really good buys this year on stuff......some expensive. All through email transactions. It really puts
a bad feeling on things once it goes the other direction.
Guys......use precaution.
How does that work? It's not that complicated, I'd imagine. Probably just steals someone's identity with the mailing address, etc. , makes a fake photo ID with their picture, and goes to the Post Office and says he's going out of town for a couple of days and asks them to hold his mail at the Post Office. Then he goes online, runs his scam on as many people as he can, and then goes back to pick up "his" mail and cashes "his" money orders while there, and then asks the Post Office to resume delivery to the mailing address. Meanwhile, the poor guy whose identity he stole may never notice that he missed getting his mail for a couple of days until he starts getting all these charges filed against him about stuff he has no idea about. Meanwhile, the thief moves on to his next victim. :roll:

Or maybe it was something completely different. Point is, there ARE crooks out there who make their livings off these kind of scams, and we all have to watch out for them. Meanwhile, you just have to be careful and remember that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is, and as Reagan once so wisely said, "Trust but verify."
salt6
General
General

Post by salt6 »

Well, the thief would have to live resonably close to his target. That's why most of these thieves are direct, one on one.
I have already come;

John Newton (1725-1807)

George Orwell

salt6
Fishpaw
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by Fishpaw »

I also have a PO box. It isnt at a post office, but at a local print shop. When I signed up for it, they made me sign a form that has my real address and other info on it (photocopy of drivers liscense) that is submitted to the Post Office. Its a fairly new requirement becasue of all the internet fraud and PO boxes.
Artie in Miami

Watch out for.....

Post by Artie in Miami »

Like the man said, use US Postal money orders, and I send them "certified mail, return receipt" then the seller must sign for the envelope...I have never, ever had a problem with this method. The only time I got burned was in the parking lot at knob creek..my own fault...the guy promised to send me the missing parts from a couple mp40 parts sets.

What I wanted to share was about two years ago, a guy from California answered my shotgun news ad and told me that he had his grandfather's luger collection and wanted to sell it all at once...he wanted me to send the $$ Western Union. I was uncomfortable with this so I called Western Union...they connected me with their security dept and they had a long list of people this guy had cheated. Sending funds through Western Union is like handing someone cash. When I called him back to tell him the news, he got pissed and told me he was going to sue me and the lady at Western Union. I am still waiting !!

artie in miami